buck and a quarter (125)

Spagina

PR Elite
I'm in the market for a 125 - this winter i am starting a little side business powdercoating & bike servicing, and i want to buy a 125 to make my demo bike. ill be looking for something that needs work, but that isnt clapped out... i will be trying to find a good price on one obviously because i am going to dump a good bit into it to make it just how i want.

i'm look for reccomendations on the best 125 to build. I weigh 195 lbs... yep, i know, pretty heavy for a 125. but i want one. they are fun as hell and i've wanted a 125 for the longest time. When i get one i plan on tearing it down and building the motor from the crank, up. I'd like to get some more CC's out of er'... not sure if i will just be boring, or bore & stroke? any opinions on the best motor to build up to haul my ass, yet keep somewhat reliable?

I had a 01 yz 125 when i was real slow, then had a bone stock 02' cr 125 - to this day that was my favorite bike i think... i rode it faster than my modded out yz 250 i had, hands down.. my dad checked the laptimes and made me feel stupid for putting so much money into the 250.

i want the bike to be able to showcase what i will be doing with my side business (powder coating, turning hubs down, acid washing cast parts, frame brightening, top ends, etc) , so it has to be something that will look good with a bunch of powder... if i get a CR i will never powder coat the frame, i hate that look.

That's and easy question. The YZ 125 has been the best 125 for a long time. And for your weight, I would definitely get a YZ. Great motor and suspension to start with.

Would you just bore to get the 144, or bore and stroke? My understanding is making it a long rod gives more torque. Like I said, I weigh 195 or so in street clothes, and I'm 6'1"... Everyone says I'm dumb for wanting a 125 but I think with some motor work ican make it hang

I'm 6'2 and about 180...my yz144 would still haul with me on it... Gotta for it. After seeing some of your past projects I bet this one will be sweet!

I think I have decided on either an 06+ yz or a 04+ cr... The only bike shop close to me only has Honda and Yamaha. I know Yamaha is the better bike but is it crazy of me to kind of want a cr just so that both of my bikes match lol? I will most likely be waiting until end of October to buy, after my wedding.. Although I'm keeping my eye out for crazy good deals. Last spring I picked up a 2003 RM 125 - it was mint, still had stock chain, sprockets, and tires but was blown up. Turned out to only be a hole in the piston. Top end, jetting change and it was good to
Go - and I got it for 625... Ended up selling it for 1800

if i was you i would by dave bernards mx153 suzuki, its a 03 i think but you can eat off all his bikes, he will give u a screamn deal 4 sure

Just sold it today, good luck with your endeavors Spagina! Looking forward to seeing some cool stuff from you.

I saw you bike for sale.. Very nice bike. I live in VA now so I don't think I'm gonna make it to the cliff lol.. I just still post on Pit cause I always have, and some day ill probably be back in the western pa area

Back