03 KX 125 Shock Bearing

KX514

PR Member
I have an '03 KX 125 that I can't keep a good shock bearing in. It's my understanding that this is a common problem. I've tried pivot works, all balls, factory, etc. Nothing seems to hold up. Was there any fix for this apart from just changing it every 3 rides? That's about where I'm at right now.

It's the lower shock bearing. I replaced all linkage, swing arm, and shock bearings this spring. I got about 3-4 rides out of the lower shock bearing (pivot works). I replaced that with a new All Balls shock bearing. Got about the same life out of it. Maybe 5-6 rides this time. The linkage bearings are all tight. It's just that lower shock bearing that wears out. I'm wondering if this is a common issue with my year, or if I need to get some pro circuit linkage or something. I think that you should get more than a few rides out of a shock bearing.

Are you replacing the seals as well as the bearing? I've had a couple of KX's and lower shock needle bearings do not last very long. The only think you can do is make sure the seals are good and use a good waterproof grease. I use Lucas red n tacky.

Yep, always replace the seals as well. I've been using a waterproof grease as well, but maybe I'll try a lucas product and hope for better quality. I think I might just be out of luck and have to simply deal with it. Thanks for the help!

make sure the seals are put in the correct direction so water and dirt cannot be pushed in easily and dnt pressure wash the linkage directly. maybe try some good grease as suggested by KX02, i always use a half/half of belray waterproof grease and honda molybedenum 60 paste. the moly keeps bearings from rusting even if water gets in. i havent had anything bad to say or heard about from either all balls or pivot works, but maybe a oem kawi bearing would last longer. also if the bearing is a roller pin type and your engine has a loose bearing or vibration it will kill that roller bearing in shock real quick. ktm had same problem with lower bearings until they changed to a heim type bearing with no rollers and a tighter fit. so check your crank bearings and engine mount bolts.
also check linkage , bolts, and the bell crank where the bearing go in to make sure they are all straight and the bearing holes are round. i had a yz the the linkage got bent on, made the shock feel like crap and the bearing to get sloppy in a few rides. i think something besides the bearing is the cause.

Back