Deer Season 2013-14

Nice ! I would have taken a crack at that one too . Your luck ( Preparedness meets opportunity ) is running high this year . Might want to invest in some lottery tickets !

My 180 acre hunting spot auctioned off for about $200,000 . I know the person who bought it and there is no chance he will allow anyone but his family/group to hunt . On the plus side , I am allowed to hunt it until the deed transfers . That should be around Dec. 1 so at least I'll get to bowhunt most of the rut . Been there twice so far and had bucks within 10 yards both times ; just not ones I wanted to try and take .

I have buck fever bad.....had a monster under me literally on Monday .....6:50 AM he did not stick around but slowly sauntered off. Hunting hard but seeing no rut activity yet, a few scrapes are starting but nothing major. Going to Hocking county Sun,Mon Tues to my cabin.

Nice ! I would have taken a crack at that one too . Your luck ( Preparedness meets opportunity ) is running high this year . Might want to invest in some lottery tickets !

My 180 acre hunting spot auctioned off for about $200,000 . I know the person who bought it and there is no chance he will allow anyone but his family/group to hunt . On the plus side , I am allowed to hunt it until the deed transfers . That should be around Dec. 1 so at least I'll get to bowhunt most of the rut . Been there twice so far and had bucks within 10 yards both times ; just not ones I wanted to try and take .

Thanks Randy, it's been an awesome season! The truth about the buck was that a week earlier I missed him at 5 yards. The shot was almost straight down and I shot under him. I feel even luckier to have got a second shot at him.

By the way, I've seen on Facebook that one of the pitracer faithful got a big buck :)

Mike, Meister, congrats on great deer.... Those are both dandies....both getting mounted I hope???

Last night was a great night in the woods.... Here is how it played out....

This year has been a very random year for me. Its the first time I haven not laid a doe down before November... Although, it was for a good reason. I had a deer I was hunting from the start. I invested about 2.5 weeks into hunting him and decided he was only 3 years old.
IMG_20130920_131501_346_zps3f177aed.jpg

So that put me back on the hunt for a bigger deer. Soon there after a old friend showed back up that I have had photos of for 3 years now..I spent a week bouncing around hunting him and realized he was not staying on the property I could hunt, or even relatively close....
PICT0198_zpse1d419b4.jpg

About a week and a half ago another deer showed up and I started putting a little more time into hunting him. I spent a few evenings in this stand without a sighting..... Only to check my cams a few days later and to see the days I didnt hunt the stand because of wind, he was there.....
PICT0230_zps19e04968.jpg

Thursday night proved to be a little to miserable for me to sit in a stand....So I waited until last night to sneak back in there.... I also currently have two buddies here from Pa who come hunt with me every year..I had them situated in their stands also....

At about 430 one of them sent a text saying big buck at 30 yards.... Unfortunately he didnt get a shot and he never saw the deer after that.... At 600 my other buddy texted me and said he had shot a good buck..... So at this point I was pretty excited...

Myself, I started seeing deer around 430..the first deer i saw last night was a great up and comer 8 point...He walked out the oak ridge along the field... Shortly there after does started filing into the field... by 545-6 I had seen 15-20 deer and it was chaos..I had deer in every direction and had 2 smaller bucks bumping does all around.. After they had successfully ran every doe out of the field, they both drifted off into the timber... Shortly after they left the does started trickling back into the two fence gates...about 615 I looked down and stay a good buck walking along the woods... He put his head down and I immediately noticed the beams....I knew it was the new ten.... He made it to about 80 yards before letting out a loud roar and lunged at the group of does by him....They scattered and he started my way...

at this point I had about 7 or 8 does within 20 yards of me in all directions... I couldnt move...My bow was resting on my thigh and I was stuck.... He closed up to about 25 yards and I had a small hole to shoot...but I didnt risk moving ...Just then I moved my head slightly to see where the does were and a big nanny caught me..... She had that "i got you" look in her eye and she hunched down and started backing up...My heart sank and I knew it was over....Just then the ten let out another load roar and lunged at her and the group of does around her...They scattered like water bugs.... I took a sigh of relief and readied my bow.... he took about 4 more steps and he was in an opening... I drew, settled my 20 yard pin in his crease and let fly.. I heard that unmistakable hollow crunch and knew.....His time was up

He ran into the field and at about 70 yards his back legs turned to jelly...he stopped and it was like someone hooked a 200lb weight to his nose....Ass over tea cups he went..... Game over...

As others mentioned before....This year has been unbelievable... Wife, house, baby....big buck... Ill take it..... Last year left a sour taste in my mouth..... but I figured eating a tag was bound to happen sooner or later.... But this year has made up for it ten times over.. I will post more photos later...

My buddies deer.
IMG952730_zps7f098d2d.jpg

My deer
IMG950262_zps3e833e9d.jpg

your year explains why youve been seemingly mia! congrants on all. and nice buck!

mine is at evans taxi in malvern.

Great spread , beam length and mass ! Pretty even too . Get us some measurements along with those pics .

kaiser kills big deer because of his ability (and good ground lol), not because of supplements.

or wait.. damnit dude.. you are buying all those deer and tying them to a tree then shooting them. i figured it out! jk

Good Golly!!! That is a nice Buck!
Is this natural, or have you folks been feeding them antler growth supplements?
Curious as to what that rack will score?

Thanks everyone...
Randy, he scored 143. Not my biggest...but ill take a 140 every year..

Tcracing, antler supplements are a marketing ploy to get hunters to spend money... Do they hurt deer? No....Do they make deers antlers grow more than they would have from normal nutrition? No... There are 3 main factors in deciding the size of a deers antlers.
1. genetics....without good genetics a deer will never get big...Just like people
2. available food..Farm country deer are always gonna have a jump on deer without good food sources available...look at west virginia....
3.age....if a deer cant get adequate ago under his belt, he will never reach his full potential. the average age of a deer killed in Ohio is 2.5.... Thats no where near maturity. We dont shoot deer that are any younger than 4 yo. Although, not all deer are gongi to grow up to be 140 inch deer, or bigger. Take for example my buddies buck above...That deer was 5+. I have had pics of him for several years. He was never going to be a 140 inch deer....he was topped out, and trail cam pics from past years showed me that....That deer was a perfect animal to shoot... his genetics were not what we want being passed on. technically I probably shouldnt have shot my deer...Yes he was four, but he wasnt done growing and his genetics are the kind you want around....big clean tens are nice to have around...But like I said before, I will be shooting any 4= yo deer thats 140 or bigger until I have 25 140 inch deer on my wall.

PICT0036.jpgTrying to get this guy in close enough. Had another encounter with him this morning. Too early...15 minutes before legal time...

Thanks all . This was the first I had seen this buck but sign told me a good one was in the area . Previously I had seen many does with fawns , a spike , a basket rack 7-point , and about a 100 inch 8-point which I had passed up a shot on . Nov. 9 was the date at this stand last year I had shot the biggest buck I ever attempted to take and lost him ( I won't say what I think he scored because I don't like being called a BSer ) . Ended up getting about a 140 class there later in gun season .

So this Nov. 9 I was up at 4 , did all my scent eliminating precautions , and was in that stand by 5:30 . A big doe with a tiny fawn came by at 6:40 and fed all around me .Just about can't shoot a doe with young anymore so I let them walk . They had been downwind a lot and never scented me . At 7:10 I glanced down between my feet and there was the spike ! How he got there without me hearing him amazed me . Hate it when they do that . Earlier I had heard a chipmunk rustling leaves 25 yards away . Go figure !? He walked over and sniffed the clip on the end of my pull up rope ( which I usually never let back down while hunting but I forgot ) and got a little spooky but walked off slowly flicking his tail . At about 8:30 I heard a low " u-u-u-rp " from behind me . Heard trotting too and when I looked , here came the buck through a small orchard grass clearing . One glance told me I was going to try him . His head was always up so he wasn't bird-dogging a doe but was definitely on the prowl . I mouth grunted a couple of times and he started looking all around . Next he ran BEHIND the pine tree that the scrape I was watching was under and stopped . No shot of course . Could hear him sniffing and saw his head swiveling around . Thought he would go to the scrape that I had doctored with doe estrous and buck tarsal scent but he wasn't downwind of it yet . Instead he walked quickly on an adjacent trail and was through the first of my two shooting lanes in an instant . The second and last lane was only 7 more yards away but I was ready and when he stepped into it I gave out one fairly loud mouth grunt . This next picture is burned in my memory forever as he stiffened to attention and turned his head to look in my direction as I saw an arrow disappear through the crease behind his shoulder . Don't remember drawing , anchoring , releasing , nothing ........it jus happened . He leaped to his off side and took off running and busting through sapplings , then I heard a bunch of crashing in one area . Took maybe 7 seconds but I knew he was down . Sat back and played the scene over and over and gave thanks . A half hour later I climbed down and found the blood covered arrow where he had been standing . Started easing in the direction he ran , looking for sign , but before I even found a speck of blood I glanced ahead and saw the sun shining off his white belly and rack on a small rise about 40 yards away . He had made it maybe 50-55 yards . I'm surprised my face didn't crack from the stupid grin it had on it even as I dragged him a grueling 300 yards to a spot to load him on the truck . It was one of my best days .

On a sad note for me , this is the last buck I'll ever get to hunt on my overhunted , night poached , trespasser ridden , dope grower , car strip and burn paradise , drunken hillbilly quad rider bonfire , " honey hole " . This is the property that just auctioned off and I'll have to give up at the end of the month when the deed changes hands . Last place on earth I had permission to hunt . Had a lot of great experiences there that I will always be thankful for . Guess my next great hunt will be for a place fairly close to home ( so I don't go broke buying gas ) that has decent quality bucks to pursue . Likely the toughest hunt of my life .

Thanks everyone...
Randy, he scored 143. Not my biggest...but ill take a 140 every year..

Tcracing, antler supplements are a marketing ploy to get hunters to spend money... Do they hurt deer? No....Do they make deers antlers grow more than they would have from normal nutrition? No... There are 3 main factors in deciding the size of a deers antlers.
1. genetics....without good genetics a deer will never get big...Just like people
2. available food..Farm country deer are always gonna have a jump on deer without good food sources available...look at west virginia....
3.age....if a deer cant get adequate ago under his belt, he will never reach his full potential. the average age of a deer killed in Ohio is 2.5.... Thats no where near maturity. We dont shoot deer that are any younger than 4 yo. Although, not all deer are gongi to grow up to be 140 inch deer, or bigger. Take for example my buddies buck above...That deer was 5+. I have had pics of him for several years. He was never going to be a 140 inch deer....he was topped out, and trail cam pics from past years showed me that....That deer was a perfect animal to shoot... his genetics were not what we want being passed on. technically I probably shouldnt have shot my deer...Yes he was four, but he wasnt done growing and his genetics are the kind you want around....big clean tens are nice to have around...But like I said before, I will be shooting any 4= yo deer thats 140 or bigger until I have 25 140 inch deer on my wall.

Very good, seems you are well educated, and understand deer management, Looks like you have the hunting part down pat. LOL! And again, Nice buck. That is what I would call a perfect 10 point rack. absolutely astounding, I would not be able too pass on one like that, for the better of the herd or not. LOL!

Ive been out once so far with no luck. I work at Lubrizol on Avon Lake ( no a hunting city) our entire plant is gated off, we normally see once or twice a week two pure white bucks, they are both 10 point deer. Neither of them are afraid of humans so they let you get pretty close! I can tell you, seeing two white deer standing next to eachother is pretty neat.. ill get pics up here soon, they like to hang out at the plant entrance!

Back