Namura Piston Kits

MxFreedom33

PR Elite
I know most people will only run there personal choice of pistons, I myself am a fan of Pro-X. Im going to throw top ends in my 96 YZ250 and 12 YZ125 this winter.. I have read a few reviews on these Namura piston kits, all good. Ebay has tons of them, for $85.00 for the entire kit. Wondering if anyone has had any personal experiance with these pistons.. At half the price of other kits, it is definitly appealing.

Ran one in my yz125 for a while. Id have to guess it was around 20-30 hrs. No problems. Lota sand riding down south too. Id buy them all the time but my local guy gives smoking deal on wiseco.

Don’t know about them but check for the Wiseco ad on here. Click it and send them an e-mail on what you’re doing. Great folks to deal with.

I know most people will only run there personal choice of pistons, I myself am a fan of Pro-X. Im going to throw top ends in my 96 YZ250 and 12 YZ125 this winter.. I have read a few reviews on these Namura piston kits, all good. Ebay has tons of them, for $85.00 for the entire kit. Wondering if anyone has had any personal experiance with these pistons.. At half the price of other kits, it is definitly appealing.

Jake - did my top-end rebuild on my RM250 this spring with a Namura kit - no problems and still going strong!

I have installed several Namura Piston kits in both atvs and bikes and never had a problem with them
I can get you a good price on those or wiseco.
i have put in more wiseco than anything and never had a problem with them either.
Hard to beat OEM but for the difference in price the aftermarket are not to bad.
If you want a price pm me and I will look them up
takes about 2 days to get either
If you prefer Pro-x can do that also

Thanks for the input! and Marc, I wouldnt put a Wiseco sticker on my bike, let alone a piston

I have 6 bikes in the garage right now running Wiseco pistons and have probably installed and used over 100 during my racing life and never had an issue.
Great company, great products, right here in Ohio.

What's your problem with them?

I ran a few of them back in the late 80's, they had tapered skirts and knocked like crazy! They sounded worse than the bad factory ones I took out. I was told that they needed bored correctly to stop the noise. Never ran one again until last year in my 125. Quiet as a mouse. Maybe some people have 30 years ago stuck in their head?

I had the pin that keeps the ring from rotating on a wiseco come out and gouge my cylinder back in the day but have never had any problems in my current bikes.

Went through 3 top ends on Wiseco in one year... Two in my 97 YZ125 and one in a CR125... Switched to Pro-X and got a year and half out of each top end I put in.. Thats my issue with them.. That was back in 2002, maybe now they have improved.

I have put them in people's bikes for them that want to go cheap, they are not bad. They are made at oem quality, cast rather then forged like most oem pistons. Not as strong as a pro-x, vortex, weisco etc.. If your running stock and prefer oem quality and reliability then go with it to save a few bucks, I would stay away from weisco though. They are hard on cylinder walls in my openion, just gotta make sure the bike is warmed up with a weisco before getting on it.

^ Agree with the cylinder wall thing. Wiesco told me its mostly from running their pistons too long. Id think its from lack of warm up. It takes a couple laps before the temp sticker on my motor even shows anything.

Hello everyone - I would like to jump in and provide some factual information to help anyone looking to make a piston choice. The advantages of forged aluminum are greater strength, ductility (which means the material will bend before it breaks), feature aligned grain structure, and resistance to impact and fatigue. Cast material is much less dense, the constituants and materials are more randomly placed, and there are voids and inclusions throughout the structure, which can weaken the material and shorten the fatigue cycles.

Generally, most forged pistons do require slightly more warm up time versus a cast part. Cast pistons are manufactured with a higher content of silicon (20% or higher), which does lower the expansion rate, but also weakens the material as compared to forged aluminum. Forged aluminum can only contain a certain level of silicon and still be able to be forged; this resides in the low teens in percentage. Knowing this, it is possible to cold sieze or damage a cast or forged aluminum piston by riding too hard too soon, the piston will expand faster than the cylinder causing the piston to scuff or sieze. Using a forged part only means a little more warm up time.

All that being said, the chioice of a piston depends really on the rider and the usage. In a racing situation, a forged material piston is logical due to the greater strength and ability to take more abuse (temperatures, compression, and damaging affects from detonation for example). Watch any form of motorsports racing, and the vast majority of engines are powered using a forged aluminum piston (and this includes moto). Cast pistons are an affordable option depending on the usage, but we like to let people know the reasons why forged pistons can provide performance and a long service life.

Wiseco does manufacture our pistons (and clutch baskets) at our plant in Mentor Ohio, we purchase the raw material, forge it, heat treat it, machine and skirt coat the piston, all under one roof. Wiseco also supports the local and national race scene by sponsorship of events and riders, we are a very "grass roots" driven company. Please keep that in mind!

Glad to answer anyones questions regarding pistons and materials, you can email me at dsulecki@wiseco.com and I will try and answer your questions!

Dave </SPAN>

I personally would never get a namura ever again. They sent me the kit, the ring didnt fit the piston and the piston itself just seemed cheap and brittle. It was more ofa convienience thing. I was so excited to put it back togethr and well nothing fit like it should. Wiseco!!!!!

Dave, from Wiseco REALLY stepped up on this for me, ill be putting Wiseco pistons/parts in both my bikes for 2014.. I got some really good information from him and they really do seem to stand behind their parts, nothing like what I had experianced in the past, thanks again Wiseco!

Dave, from Wiseco REALLY stepped up on this for me, ill be putting Wiseco pistons/parts in both my bikes for 2014.. I got some really good information from him and they really do seem to stand behind their parts, nothing like what I had experianced in the past, thanks again Wiseco!

That's bad-ass Jake!

I used the full billet clutch in my YZ 300 and loved it. Had the choice between Hinson and them. Gave each a call...the decision was easy after that.

I had a Wiseco crank issue on one of my RM125's, Dave totally took care of me. I have been using Wiseco exclusively without any problems ever since. Great products and a customer service team that others should model.

Awesome to see that a site like pitracer can help out riders like this, just the ability to connect people with others with opinions and ideas that lead to positive out comes!

Back