MYLAPS Noise Management System

mshafer62

PR Addict
Saw this and thought, what a great idea!
Especially since most tracks use MYLAPS software currently.
Smart on their part to integrate transponders and now noise management.
http://moto.mpora.com/features/prod...-emissions-in-motocross-tracks-by-mylaps.html

IMO, noise continues to be a problem in our sport and Europe is far
more aggressive than the US when it comes to addressing the issue.

Have no idea what it costs, and its isn't available yet in the US
but it singles out what bikes/qwadz are loud, making noise a personal responsibility.

Ok that's a cool system and we should all continue to work towards lower noise... BUT.... You knew I would have a but....
When was the last time you went to a car race? From the local roundy round dirt track to the nascar, indy, nhra and so on down the line...
All are many times louder then any motocross track. I have been at races and even screaming in the ear of the person setting next to you they still could not hear me.
I think we are dealing with that four wheel prejudice again. A lot of car track are in densely populated areas and yet they are doing nothing about noise. The new mx track in NJ is currently going through zoning hearing because a neighbor is 1600' away. PLUS behind a hill and trees and they are arguing against the track based on noise, light for the track will be "too bright" and too much traffic added to the area.
I am trying to stay on topic but once again this is an issue that the "all knowing and powerful OZ of motorcycling" aka. AMA should be all over. Of course they are nowhere to be heard. (pun intended)
Again, I like the technology and we should work on noise but come on... another expense for the friendly neighborhood mx promoter that the rest of the racing world does not have to deal with.

Comparing mx bike noise levels to Nascar/Indy or FI whatever is too apples to oranges to be worthwhile. How may people own an Indy car and try to drive it around a track in their backyard? Compare that to the number of people who own an off road bike and DO ride it on their own property. The opportunity for an off road motorcycle to pizz of a neighbor is much more likely to happen than someone being pizzed off about a guy tooling around in their Indy car.

The other piece that makes the car/bike comparison unrealistic is that most mx track owners don't have nearly the deep pockets that a nascar track owner has that might allow them to have an impact on local zoning. Most communities will also tend to overlook the aggravation of some occasional noise from a nascar facility due to the amount of revenue that type of race brings to the area.

Besides, when any sort of government entity attempts to do something about noise at a private or public mx track...bringing up how loud race cars are will do absolutely nothing to further your cause.

Bottom line, I totally agree with mjshafer that noise is a huge issue with mx as there are too many riders making a nuisance of themselves on a regular basis by riding needlessly loud bikes.

Riding around in the back yard is different then a track. Of course the loser next door is going to complain if you fire up the old forfity at 9pm and do a 20 laps moto in the burbs, but this system is for and is shown on a race track. Although you know darn well if you had an Indy car in the garage you would make a few laps around the Metro.
I was not saying the mx track owners are the ones with deep pockets, That is supposed to be what the AMA is doing for you, me and the track owners. Their pockets are plenty deep enough to help if needed.
Every track has a financial impact on the local economy in a positive way. The problem is the perception of "bikers". Too many negative personas associated with 2 wheels verses 4. It is hard to fix that issue when so many times motorcyclist are perceived to be Hells Angles or that group of idiots in New York city that where seen beating on family car. Forget how is at fault or if the dude deserved it. The public sees a guy on a motorcycle attacking a man in front of his family.
Its Friday and my mind is wondering but this all makes sense to me...lol

Yes we need to work on the sound but why not cars also?

We can fix it by going back to 2 smokes but then the tree huggers will get on us for killing the baby seals with global warming.
How long before we issue bubbles for everyone to live in?

Here is an interesting factoid. People ask me about complaints all the time, and about neighbors. Well we got a complaint this year, the first official one directed to me by a neighbor. Wanna guess his complaint? The band played past dark at the battle. Yep, he said and I quote "the noise at this time of night is unacceptable and unbearable" I received that email at 8:57 pm I believe. That was my first since starting the track in 2005

ck1racerx;98605 Yes we need to work on the sound but why not cars also? [/QUOTE said:
I can't see where worrying about what's going on with any kind of perceived issue with car noise has anything to do with what's the right thing to do for motorcycles?

That's like a little kid who's getting yelled at by his parents for something...all the kid can come up with as a response is asking why his brother doesn't get yelled at for doing the same thing. That kind of response doesn't do the little kid any good and that kind of mentality doesn't help bikers either.

Just worry about what's good for 2 wheels and don't worry about what's going on with car racing. And oh...Ultra loud Harleys are ridiculously annoying! Can't remember if was someone here or elsewhere that someone told the story of how they were riding their well muffled street bike past a mom and her little girl and as he got closer the little girl made a face and covered her ears because she related loud obnoxious noises to motorcycles.

They started testing for noise my last year as a pro. Always looked at it as a joke. start the bike on a stand and check one foot from silencer at idol??? What good does that do??
Same type of issue with this system. Depends on if ur on the gas in that area and with no one else around. Why not just check it at full throttle at the starting line one bike at a time?
I have personally never thought bikes are too load. And no matter what u do, the people that are complaining now will continue because they are *******s.
And deciding that this is good for all bikes is like saying Obamacare is good for everyone. Its more government. That's not good.
It's not better. Bigger mufflers reduce performance, cost more, add weight and make number plates stick out too far...:p

Everyone knows quads are loud, but I was impressed at how much quieter my fmf exhaust was with the basic quiet core in there. Lack of power? Ummmm No! It pulls better than most. I think most people should try the quiet cores on 4 strokes.

It seems to me that most people that complain, build a house, or buy a house by a race track....knowing the race track is there, then complain that there is too much noise. Kind of like buying a house on a golf course then complaining you have golf balls in your back yard.

I personally don't believe motocross bikes are so loud that if you lived down the street it would bother you too much. But then again, I have a field owned by a church my kids rode in for 8 years. Some 30 year old jackass moves in the neighborhood, and all the sudden we have an issue with a 65 or an 85 riding in the field and being so loud it is waking up his baby in his house. 8 years, not one complaint......and I have MANY senior citizens in my neighborhood. He also told the local police that my son was riding 70mph down the rode (he is in first gear riding to the field, me on my mountain bike). Being on City Council, the PD told me not to worry about it. But.....he went to the church. They NEVER had issues and knew my kids rode there. All the sudden, it was too much liability.

So, as I promised the jackass.....EVERY time I go out on my Harley, I make a trip past his house, and be sure to pull the clutch in, and give it a few screams passing his house. Yeah, I can be a jackass right back to him. The funny thing, all those senior citizens think he is a jackass, and ask why my kids don't ride out there anymore, because many of them enjoyed watching my kids ride.

Back