Why my bike locked up?

kawi330

PR Member
I'm posting this to hope and try to figure out what happened so any ideas would be great to help figure out if it is a dealership fault.
I have a 2006 kx250f that I had rebuilt from crank up all new valves, piston, rings, cam chain and crank. So after the rebuild I broke it in the right way.
so I have 2 practices on it prolly 2 hrs and 2 races on it maybe total 4hrs. I was going to race western reserve and it locked up 1st lap of practice. So i took it back to the place and they said the valve bucket shattered. So would this be from maybe not correct timing im just not sure, but i feel this should'nt happen with it all being brand new.

I feel for you. I have to say, that is a really odd deal. I personally think it should not happen especially after just having it rebuilt. If the Place you had it rebuilt at has any integrity at all, I would think they should at least work with you on repairing this machine. As in parts "at cost" and no labor charge. To make you whole again.
Regardless of what happened, There is no way to say for certain they did anything wrong, left some debris in head or around the bucket, or (most likely) failed to seat a valve retainer, whatever. And no way to say it was just a mechanical error. But I would sway to the mechanical over site myself even if a part failed it falls back on the mechanic for failing to inspect the parts as it happened so soon. Its not like it was two months later or had 10 or 20 hrs on it. They should do their best to make things right if they care about their reputation at all. And if you pay for parts (at cost) THAT KEEPS YOU HONEST, And they provide labor, repair it, at their expense to make it right, it keeps everyone honest.

I've heard of people locking up brand new bikes in 2 hours or less.....nothing is for certain with these machines! But that 125 I bought off you screams and pulls like there is absolutely no tomorrow.

Had an awesome battle with tommy beckett this year on it. He was on his kx 125 pinger too!

Georgie I think you have me confused with someone else haha. Right nothing is for sure but this is my first service since 06 I'm pretty good on the engine. Them were stock valves in there Just needed new ones bc bike was getting hard to start so I just rebuilt everything at the same time.

I would look to see what all they exactly replaced. If they replaced the whole set-up you might be looking at a possible "defect" in the bucket.

Remember when you talk to the dealer be respectful. They get a lot of crap from the public. If you work with them I'm sure they will work with you. Just don't lose your cool no matter the out come.

Remember when you talk to the dealer be respectful. They get a lot of crap from the public. If you work with them I'm sure they will work with you. Just don't lose your cool no matter the out come.

+1 on that.

i have seen buckets fail on kx250f engines before. they could have put a nick in the bucket bore in head while changing valves and after 4hrs it couldnt take the tightness and broke. that is the most common problem. the bucket could have failed just from being old if it was not replaced with valves and springs. they could also have put the wrong bucket in the wrong hole in the head. after time they wear into themselves and shouldnt be swapped when doing valve work. the bucket should have been inspected more closely. once they start to get circles on the top from the cam wearing i replace them. they arent cheap but its better than a new engine grenading.

Back