GP Setups

SCHAFFERNOCKER

PR Addict
Locked in for crow tomorrow, Anyone got any tips or tricks that can help my setup? Suspension? Gearing?

Are they are more wide open or tight and turny? How rough does the course get?

Just to spice up the thread, two-stroke or four-stroke?

I'll bite. I did Beans with 350 four stoke. I used same gearing as MX and also same suspension settings.

Gearing was fine, Suspension sucked. I felt every root, rock, rut and such in the woods. Gonna make my ride into a pimp ride with plush suspension to save my a...

I have a two stroke, but just felt the engine brakeing and tractor power was best for the woods. The woods at Beans was not too tight at all, just allot of learning where to go on each lap. I also gotta go slower on the first lap so I don't blow through the course and miss a turn. Just not used to looking for anything on a MX track where now I gotta follow the signs.

Clear goggle lenses will help. I had on darker ones and had a hard time seeing as I went from light mx track to shaded woods.

Other than that, you will need beers to finish the day and get rid of the vibration running through your body from 45 minutes of racing.

I don't feel you need to make any real tweaks. The 11 am session was real slick and smooth at BC, good ruts began to form in the woods a few laps into it. I threw some Cycra hand guards on at the last minute, tear offs and stashed some goggles near the checkpoint just in case. I rode a 125 and shifted my arse off, Gibby had no problem on his banger though!

I'll bite. I did Beans with 350 four stoke. I used same gearing as MX and also same suspension settings.

Gearing was fine, Suspension sucked. I felt every root, rock, rut and such in the woods. Gonna make my ride into a pimp ride with plush suspension to save my a...

I have a two stroke, but just felt the engine brakeing and tractor power was best for the woods. The woods at Beans was not too tight at all, just allot of learning where to go on each lap. I also gotta go slower on the first lap so I don't blow through the course and miss a turn. Just not used to looking for anything on a MX track where now I gotta follow the signs.

Clear goggle lenses will help. I had on darker ones and had a hard time seeing as I went from light mx track to shaded woods.

Other than that, you will need beers to finish the day and get rid of the vibration running through your body from 45 minutes of racing.
Good point on the suspension, I did get a bit beat up by the roots. And yes beer is a must and Oxygen is nice for the old dudes. Tis a blast!

Beans was a little tight in spots and on my RM144 I was in first gear a lot. So I changed my gearing for Briarcliff, and it was a mess for me because it was more open. On the C track at BC I was in 6th gear on the 144. So I just got done changing it back. Keep in mind though that I'm about 100 lbs over the recommended weight for a 125.....

Basically I run the exact same setup as MX and just deal with it.

Cool, Im on a 250 2T, with one tooth up on the rear sprocket. I'll most likely soften up a few clicks on the front and rear and run it. What about tire pressure? Do you want a little less to give you some more cushion? Or more to keep from a puncture on the roots, rocks, ect.

Cool, Im on a 250 2T, with one tooth up on the rear sprocket. I'll most likely soften up a few clicks on the front and rear and run it. What about tire pressure? Do you want a little less to give you some more cushion? Or more to keep from a puncture on the roots, rocks, ect.

Depends on the course of course of course. I'm not too familiar with Crows woods. Rocky, up the pressure a bit to fend off a pinch flat. I would think you'd be fine in the 12 range depending on your own weight. Hydration starts the day before. Drink tons of water and no beer the day before ( bummer) drinking at the track is too late.

Article I found from Dunlop race team.

Always look well ahead
Looking well ahead when riding off-road is important for a number of reasons. It goes without saying that you need to know where you’re going, but the difference between looking up, along way ahead of your front wheel, and simply watching the ground in front of your bike is one of the biggest differences between amateur and professional riders. Knowing what is coming next, be it a river crossing, steep hill, or rocky outcrop, allows you to be ready, change your line if needed, adjust your riding position, even stop. Also worth remembering is to not follow the rider ahead of you too closely.

Dehydration causes mistakes
Failing to take consume enough fluids when enduro riding can be disastrous. When you get dehydrated one of the first things that happens is your concentration levels drop, which soon leads to mistakes and often falls. Start drinking long before you get on your bike, and keep drinking regularly. Just because you can’t feel yourself sweating doesn’t mean your hydration levels are dropping.
Look after your tyres
Dunlop’s Geomax Enduro Tyre is designed to offer optimal grip while being extremely hard wearing, but don’t wear it out unnecessarily. Incorrect tyre pressure will result in not only a loss of traction but also premature wear. 13 psi is the pressure that should be used when riding away from rocky terrain, being increased to 15 psi when conditions get drier and rockier. If you don’t need to be accelerating hard don’t – doing so unnecessarily will take the edge off your rear tyre.
Stand and deliver
Standing up might seem like it involves more energy than sitting down but it doesn’t. Sitting down is something that should only be done when you’re either riding along a street or cornering. Stand up on the foot pegs and not only do you have a clearer view of what’s ahead but you can change direction in an instant. And providing you’re positioned so that your bodyweight is through your legs and not your arms you’ll use very little energy. Remember you should have a slight bend in your knees but that you should bend at the hips when you want to lower your upper body.
Check and double check
Few people are able to spend hours and hours preparing their bikes before and after each ride but making sure you check the basics before you hit the trails is essential. If conditions are wet it’s a must that you wash your bike properly when you’ve finished your ride. That way you’re able to see your bike clearly and can check and adjust anything that’s needed. Always make a quick visual inspection to your bike before riding. Check fuel and radiator coolant levels, tyre pressures, make sure nothing’s broken or damaged and spend five to 10 minutes checking nuts and bolts.
Keep an eye on the weather
It goes without saying that you wouldn’t get kitted out in full wet weather gear if you were going riding in southern Spain during the summer months, but keeping an eye on the weather forecast is hugely important. Always dress according to what the weather will do. If it’s cold and wet wear several thin layers beneath a good quality waterproof jacket and jeans. If it’s hot make sure you don’t overheat by wearing lightweight and breathable fabrics.
Make sure you take some exercise
You don’t need to be super fit to enjoy enduro riding but getting to the gym, swimming, playing squash, or simply taking your dog for two or three good, long walks each week will certainly make life easier out on the trail, especially if conditions get tough. Importantly, knowing that you’ve done some exercise, and are probably better prepared than your mates, will give you a psychological boost. Don’t worry too much about eating like an Olympic athlete, just try and cut down on fatty and sugary foods.
Keep your wheels moving
Momentum is one of, if not, the most important things to remember when riding off road. If you can keep your wheels moving you can pretty much get up any hill or across any technical rock sections. Don’t be afraid to allow your engine’s revs to drop. By using the bottom-end power of your bike’s motor to keep your wheels moving you will be able to go places other riders won’t. If you can see a difficult section ahead try and increase your pace a little. Make sure you arrive in complete control, and use the momentum you have to get across the obstacle without needing to rev your bike hard. Hard revving of your engine when enduro riding normally only results on one thing – wheel spin.

Put a few laps in on layout tonight. I will just say that I liked it. I'm not a woods rider at all, but I enjoyed it. If you don't come, you are missing out.

Back