Dirt World Race Cancelled 10-13

DirtworldMX

PR Addict
Sorry for the inconvenience, Dirt World race will be cancelled today. Due to weather, and some other circumstances. We will be holding a practice from 9 am - 3 pm.... Only $20 per rider... Depending on a turn out we will hold a split practice... Thank you!! <P><div class=after_content><blockquote class="signature restore"><div class=signaturecontainer>Dirtworld2012</div></blockquote></div>

Due to "weather" .... seriously? What? Too nice? And you are holding practice anyway????

Its bad when you cant even count on an OMA race in perfect conditions. I wouldnt even think to check on the event on a weekend like this. The information age is killing our sport.

I have really enjoyed OMA this year and feel they have done way more right then wrong. However, these cancellations due to weather or what ever other reasons really needs to be addressed. I can understand if the track is soaked or your pushing 3' of mud off of the the track but the races shouldn't be canceled if there is a chance of rain because we live in Ohio and the weather changes constantly. And yes, I can appreciate if there is a safety issue but just because of some water on the track that doesn't always mean that its unsafe conditions. Just my thoughts. Maybe, todays race was actually canceled for other good reasons but from this side of racing, I think the race should have happened!!! We also put a lot of time into planning our schedules, getting things ready and our bikes, so please considerate of us when canceling these events. Again, thanks for all you do OMA and I know you have busted your butt's this year but this part of the organization needs to be re-evaluated.

I agree.. Too many cancellations.
Not that we are in the game now, but when we were 3 weeks ago and DirtWorld cancelled that took away any chance we would have had at getting 15 races in.. Again, we are out hurt, but this weekend would have taken another away... Needs to be looked at for year ends.. For some, Spring and early Summer, are spent running national events and plan to come home and enjoy their home series races late Summer and Fall. Canceling races does not sit well with many families that count on the schedule to be held unless a really unforeseen event. All factors in financial decisions that are made throughout the year and what events are attended. Weather the last time, this time weather and additional reasons. I can remember when we raced no matter what and only lightning put a stop to it. Sorry to see this.. I hope DirtWorld can get people coming back.. For us, we really like that track and can't wait to get back.

Zman I remember racing in eaely 80's at Valley View @ malvern with thunder & lightning,pouring buckets kept right on racing!

"The Dirt World Cancellation"...The excuse of threat of rain is BS for a cancellation, after spending 2 1/2 hrs driving 1 way to Dirt World to race, to find Dirt World nearly empty Saturday afternoon was disheartening. We love the track....but where were all the riders??????? The decision to cancel was made Saturday night. We love the OMA and their tracks, however, I think that some advice should be given from the more seasoned track owners to those like Dirt World that are young and less experienced. I would hate to see OMA lose Dirt World, but I also would like to see great turn outs at all the tracks. I am sure that Dirt World was nervous of financially losing their butt with a turn out like Sat night at Pyma Holeshot with 30 or so riders. On my way 2 1/2 hr drive back hm Sunday from Dirt World, it was hard to see children soccer players playing in the rain, but we, hardcore motocross racers were going home for a threat of rain..... I call it a rookie mistake in judgement by the ownership. HOPE TO SEE A HUGE TURNOUT AT CHILITOWN.

I drove there hit light rain going up rt11.as I got to the track sky's where a lil cloudy but no threat. Told race was cancelled but there was practice .Ok..... track was awesome. Weather was awesome..wtf..stayed till lil after 2 and NO RAIN.I agree with Zman we too need 15 races not going to happen.and so what if it rains a little it's MOTOCROSS that's how we roll. Lets hope they don't cancel c-town next weekend. Cause you know it might be cold, or raining, or someone has a bug in there ass.With that said a perfect day for racing wasted.

I have a feeling that it was because OIR was having practice. They did have 230 some odd riders there. You guys get what im sayin, ask Jason he was there, track was pretty sick too haha

"The Dirt World Cancellation"...The excuse of threat of rain is BS for a cancellation, after spending 2 1/2 hrs driving 1 way to Dirt World to race, to find Dirt World nearly empty Saturday afternoon was disheartening. We love the track....but where were all the riders??????? The decision to cancel was made Saturday night. We love the OMA and their tracks, however, I think that some advice should be given from the more seasoned track owners to those like Dirt World that are young and less experienced. I would hate to see OMA lose Dirt World, but I also would like to see great turn outs at all the tracks. I am sure that Dirt World was nervous of financially losing their butt with a turn out like Sat night at Pyma Holeshot with 30 or so riders. On my way 2 1/2 hr drive back hm Sunday from Dirt World, it was hard to see children soccer players playing in the rain, but we, hardcore motocross racers were going home for a threat of rain..... I call it a rookie mistake in judgement by the ownership. HOPE TO SEE A HUGE TURNOUT AT CHILITOWN.

I am sure this was a financial decision. Dirt World and other NE Ohio tracks are just not getting the numbers and this causes them to make these type of decisions. Because of work schedule changes I have only practiced at Dirt World a few times this year, which is well below my average, but when I have gone there are less than 20 bikes. The track has been prepped pretty darn good each time but again (with these types of turnouts) I am sure some decisions are being made.
I still really enjoy Dirt World! There was a forum about what sort of changes it needed to liven things up but the truth is, Dirt World was set-up about as well as a track on flat land could be and it offers everything and is a ton of fun.
My concern is, if these financial decisions keep getting made (because they have to be made) then I may lose another track that is within a reasonable driving distance.

After much discussion about the what occurred this past Sunday at Dirt World, we regret to inform everyone that Dirt World will no longer continue as an OMA track in 2014. We do not like canceling events, and canceling due to a forecast is unacceptable. Moving forward, there will not be anymore decisions made in this fashion without consequences. We do apologize to those racers that got up prepared to race and were met with disappointment. We hope you will give the OMA another chance. We will do better.

I can only state simple facts which will probably be deleted again. OTC scheduled 4 appearances at OMA events. The first event at BC was great. The time was changed at the last minute on the 2nd one, the 3rd and 4th one were cancelled for reasons unrelated to the weather whcih we rescheduled substitutes at other (non OMA) tracks. None of these were Dirt World. If you did the scheduling for a club that printed and released an annual schedule of events in January for the whole year, what would you do when making your 2014 schedule?

I can only state simple facts which will probably be deleted again. OTC scheduled 4 appearances at OMA events. The first event at BC was great. The time was changed at the last minute on the 2nd one, the 3rd and 4th one were cancelled for reasons unrelated to the weather whcih we rescheduled substitutes at other (non OMA) tracks. None of these were Dirt World. If you did the scheduling for a club that printed and released an annual schedule of events in January for the whole year, what would you do when making your 2014 schedule?

Tim - Your concerns are valid. We realize that cancelling events should be a last resort, and we have learned a valuable lesson scheduling and avoiding the rescheduling of events. Which is why this year, the OMA schedule will not be out until we are sure of what we are doing, and have a plan we can follow. I know that some people might grumble about not getting the OMA schedule till possibly late January, but if that's what needs done to avoid notable conflicts, then that is what we will do. Lesson learned, 2014 will be better.

Tim - Your concerns are valid. We realize that cancelling events should be a last resort, and we have learned a valuable lesson scheduling and avoiding the rescheduling of events. Which is why this year, the OMA schedule will not be out until we are sure of what we are doing, and have a plan we can follow. I know that some people might grumble about not getting the OMA schedule till possibly late January, but if that's what needs done to avoid notable conflicts, then that is what we will do. Lesson learned, 2014 will be better.

Glad to hear lessons are being learned. Many dont take the criticism as helpful, instead many get defensive. Moving forward is the best you can do. First year mistakes are inevitable more so than normal. Overall it has been a fantastic success in my eyes.

Lets end this here or move it into the main forum. This forum is really meant for racing updates only.....

After much discussion about the what occurred this past Sunday at Dirt World, we regret to inform everyone that Dirt World will no longer continue as an OMA track in 2014. We do not like canceling events, and canceling due to a forecast is unacceptable. Moving forward, there will not be anymore decisions made in this fashion without consequences. We do apologize to those racers that got up prepared to race and were met with disappointment. We hope you will give the OMA another chance. We will do better.

Interesting, Malvern rescheduled/cancelled their GP for the same underlying reasons; too much competition and they would have lost money. Looks like I will be going to the Switchback Turkey Trot instead of the Malvern GP on November 2nd.
Looks like the big guys are just trying to eat up the little guys.

Give them a break, first year growing pains. Yes it is a pain when you plan your racing year out for certain events and or dates. I do agree last minute cancellations are not cool. Remember these guys ride and race too, and I'm sure they understand the frustration. Feedback is good for the good and bad. Just don't give up yet.

Back