Jimmy Gaddis - Where are they now?

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Cool story on RacerX about Jimmy Gaddis...... rare that someone leaves the sport altogether like that.

http://www.racerxonline.com/2013/10/29/where-are-they-now-jimmy-gaddis

and the tie to Pitracer.com is that Eddie Candyman Karban (who also retired about 5 years ago with little to no riding since) is Jimmy's Brother - in - Law. Becky Karban has the fast genes in the family and it burns Eddie's butt that his Brother - in - Law won't ride for years and still whoop his ass on the first day back on the bike.

That's right Robin!
When I was a senior in high school I was riding for Brunswick Suzuki. I was also playing varsity football. During one of my football practices after school I saw my dad's truck and racing trailer pull into the parking lot. I thought "That's odd...wonder what's up?" Turns out that Jimmy Gaddis was in town and needed a place to practice. Somehow Brunswick Suzuki was in contact with him and hooked a private practice for Jimmy Gaddis and I at Smith Road! Needless to say, I was pulled from practice and headed to the track.
Jimmy Gaddis was already there when we pulled in. He had a factory Suzuki box van and a mechanic with him. We chatted for a few minutes and then Jimmy laid out a sweet track that used up almost every inch of Smith Road. Lap times were INSANELY long! We practiced for a long time and multiple motos. Then he asked me if I wanted to ride his bike (practice bike)! I jumped at the chance. That day I was riding my race bike. My race bike was super fast and had great suspension. Brunswick Suzuki had done a lot of work done to it and I thought it was amazing. However....my race bike felt sluggish compared to his PRACTICE bike! His practice bike was so tight. No vibration at all. Suspension was excellent (even if I did outweigh him by 25lbs). It was crazy cool to ride a bike like that!
My dad was talking Jimmy's mechanic's ear off. He loved trying to gain even the smallest of advantages on my competition. That day was definitely one of the highlights in my racing career.
And then come to find out that he's Eddie Karban's bro-in-law! COOL!

Back