Choice of Sprocket Brand

SCHAFFERNOCKER

PR Addict
I have been a big fan of Sunstar stuff, and Renthal was always a go to as well. How about the ProTaper sprockets, anyone use them? Im a huge fan of this brand and love their bars and grips, but havent tested out anything else yet.

I use them.. Seem to hold up well. What kinda hours u get out of yours usually? I can snap a pic of my pro taper sprocket on my crf450 with about 16 hours or so on it to give you an idea what to expect

Im not certain on how much time I get out of them, I dont even want to guess. They are all pretty competitive in price, I think im just going to try a set.

On a 450 run an Oring chain. You will get more than a season out of them. My current one has more than 90 hrs on a set.

On a 450 run an Oring chain. You will get more than a season out of them. My current one has more than 90 hrs on a set.

of sprockets????????

i wont put new sprockets on with an old chain, i always replace it all at once. maybe not necessary but definitely doesnt hurt.

of sprockets????????

i wont put new sprockets on with an old chain, i always replace it all at once. maybe not necessary but definitely doesnt hurt.

Yes, only set on the new bike. Chain AND sprockets. Cracks me up how people dont think Oring chains are worth it. Under load they actually have less drag than a standard chain according to MXA tests in the past.

I dont put near as much time on the bike as yall do, but I get at least a full season from a set. Now, I did do an Oring on my 250f, and that did make a difference. How about the 250 2T im riding now, do you think an o-ring?

I bought a sidewinder years ago and it lasted 3 years and 3 oring chains. Couldn't even tell it was used! I think it was $189 but if you know your gearing is right and youre keeping your bike...theyre a good value.

For what its worth I used to go threw a set a season. Then I started running the RK o-ring chain. There is a specific one that cost like 189. The tensile strength is significantly higher that you standard chain. Ive found since the chain doesn't stretch it extends sprocket life by a lot. I put about 2 seasons on it or roughly 60 hours and it has yet to even need adjustment. The sprocket teeth look good. I don't even notice the additional drag due to the extra wieght.

Ive always ran 35$ RK junk chains n 30$ junk steel sprockets. Get about 70-80hrs outa the chain and about 5 years on the sprockets.

Pro tapers have WIDE teeth, makes them last super long. They can take some punishment for sure. I just use rk 520 chain, pro taper sprockets. Renthal very good as well... Renthal and pro tapers are my go-to. New favorite Pro taper.

Last o-ring chain I used I was extremely pissed. It was tearing the s**t out of my frame on my 08 yz 250, the chain as tight also. Those 0ring chains are too wide I think. I took it off and gave it to Hershey. Not sure what he did with it.

Yes, only set on the new bike. Chain AND sprockets. Cracks me up how people dont think Oring chains are worth it. Under load they actually have less drag than a standard chain according to MXA tests in the past.

A good O-ring chain is hard to beat in my opinion and I always run them!

A DID 520 VT2 x-ring came stock on my KTM 300, after 40 hours on the bike I've not needed to adjust it.

The VT2 is also described by DID as being their "narrow" X ring chain. For folks having clearance issues with chain guides and frames and such, this would be the o-ringer to use.

Why would anyone wanna run aluminum sprockets at the amature level? I see it all the time, renthal, pro taper, tag, the aluminum ones dont hold up worth a $.it. Yes they look cool. But why else? Steel Sunstar and a good DID non o-ring chain is the way to go IMO.

Back