Garmin Data from Saturday at BC

mshafer62

PR Addict
Click the "View Detail" link at the bottom and see the data
from my ride at BC on Saturday. I use a Garmin for my bicycle rides
and wanted to compare heart rates and have something that would
track my laps and lap times. I'm still in the learning stages...

<iframe width="465" height="548" frameborder="0" src="http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/399208968"></iframe>

Really cool! Im going to look into that! I have a timer and HR monitor but no GPS. You are in better shape than me, my avg HR is about 170 and max out around 190 most of the times Ive logged it. Of course Ive got a bad heart too. Not sure how much that changes my rates.

By no means do I know diddly squat on heart rates, but I didn't think a high max heart rate on it's own is a bad thing? The rule of thumb for max HR is 220 minus your age...with 220 - 190 = 30...does that mean you have a heart of a 30 year old?

Was checking it out yesterday. That this is super cool.
Heart rate
Distance
Lap times
Elevation

Even a diagram...
You can see where he went on and off the track..

High tech, man. That's pretty sweet. I used to think a go pro hero hd (original) was the coolest thing on earth.

Really cool! Im going to look into that! I have a timer and HR monitor but no GPS. You are in better shape than me, my avg HR is about 170 and max out around 190 most of the times Ive logged it. Of course Ive got a bad heart too. Not sure how much that changes my rates.

That is incredible Hershey for having a 35% Ejection Fraction at one point in your life. Keep doing what you're doing, because your heart is working great.

And where do I get this equipment? That thing is awesome. I'm going to screen shot that and every time some ******* at work tells me that mx ain't physically demanding, i'm gonna sucker punch em with data.

I'm using a Garmin 310xt strapped to my handlebar. Bot it on ebay for $180.

You go out and create a lap, save it and then ride and it remembers your lap.
In comparison, on a 22.5mi bicycle ride my average HR was 114 and max was 141.
So I think that tells me I need to mix in some harder, shorter bicycle rides that
elevate my HR to get in better shape to handle a 145 avg HR, 165 max, 15min moto.

The other interesting data point was the caloric count. It says I burnt 150 cal in
approx 15min. I've always heard that these are not 100% accurate, regardless it
proves the point that you need to re-hydrate and eat through out the day to
maintain a level of performance.

Now is the time for GPS with all the leaves off. I have tried in the past through the summer with no luck. It's tough to get satellite signal when the leaves are on. The c track worked, but not the big track. It would be interesting to see if it works in late spring next year.

By no means do I know diddly squat on heart rates, but I didn't think a high max heart rate on it's own is a bad thing? The rule of thumb for max HR is 220 minus your age...with 220 - 190 = 30...does that mean you have a heart of a 30 year old?

No. You are correct about the rule of thumb but just plugged the numbers in the wrong place. 220 - (age) say, 40 = estimated max heart rate of 180. That is just estimated. ( I think I understand what you are trying to say or show, but I don't think it works that way. ) There are several ways to find your exact max heart rate and none of them are fun if you are not a trained professional athlete. Here is one example: Let's use that same 40 year old with the estimated max of 180 bpm. We will use running as the stress exercise. You need to run for 20 minuets. Get your heart rate up to 90% of estimated max bpm in the first 10 minuets. (162 bpm) Keep it there for the next 10 minuets. In the last 10 minuets go as hard as you can for as long as you can (100% effort) If you give an honest 100% effort you will find your max heart rate in the last 10 minuets. You will notice it will climb fairly quickly then stop climbing and just wont beat any faster most likely 3 to 5 minuets into your last 10 minuet sprint. In my experience that is about the time your heart can't get rid of the acid in your muscles fast enough so most of your body will feel like it is on fire and you will feel like you are about to pass out or puke. That is when you know you gave 100% effort and found your true max heart rate.

In the data above, that max heart rate number is just the highest number his heart reached during that ride. In my experience when I ride or race my dirt bike it is much more enjoyable and much easier for me to reach my max heart rate than any other exercise. You are using so many muscles on the bike and having fun while doing it you may not even realize you maxed out your heart until you are gasping for air or wadded it up in a turn.

When I try to mimic my riding heart rate while doing any kind of cross training it damn near kills me. I can ride or race my dirt bike with in 1 or 2 % of my max heart rate for 15 to 20 minuets before I need to back it down for fear of an abrupt meeting with the deck. If I try to do that in the gym, road biking, or running I feel like I just want to stop and cry, or puke.

As far as I am concerned, MX is the best exercise I can get!

That is incredible Hershey for having a 35% Ejection Fraction at one point in your life. Keep doing what you're doing, because your heart is working great.

And where do I get this equipment? That thing is awesome. I'm going to screen shot that and every time some ******* at work tells me that mx ain't physically demanding, i'm gonna sucker punch em with data.

Dude its only 35% right now. My all time low was 5%. They dont put you on the top of the heart transplant list for 35%! lol ..... CCF and my canton doctor cant explain to me why I can do what I do. I only have one explanation, well a couple but one main one.

Now is the time for GPS with all the leaves off. I have tried in the past through the summer with no luck. It's tough to get satellite signal when the leaves are on. The c track worked, but not the big track. It would be interesting to see if it works in late spring next year.

Well that stinks...
But thanks for the heads-up.

You will notice it will climb fairly quickly then stop climbing and just wont beat any faster most likely 3 to 5 minuets into your last 10 minuet sprint. In my experience that is about the time your heart can't get rid of the acid in your muscles fast enough so most of your body will feel like it is on fire and you will feel like you are about to pass out or puke. That is when you know you gave 100% effort and found your true max heart rate.

Definitely pushed all I had at Trevors GP race. Felt great coming across that checkered flag, arms were a little rubbery, legs were rubbery, I was smiling ear to ear. Then when I got back to the truck I start heaving, thrown up water. I'm a sissy. HAHA.

The only other time in my life that used to happen minus the grin from ear to ear was cross country running in high school. My god that was misery at it's finest I have no clue why I ever wanted to do that.

Dude its only 35% right now. My all time low was 5%. They dont put you on the top of the heart transplant list for 35%! lol ..... CCF and my canton doctor cant explain to me why I can do what I do. I only have one explanation, well a couple but one main one.

Dude who moved my cardio? You all are pusses. Just ride.

Check out a smart phone app called: Speedview.

Not as neat and without the health monitor stuff, but I downlowded an app call GPS Essentials yesterday and tested it on the way to pick up the wife. Does what I am interested in I am thinking. Converted to JPEG using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/. Just have to figure out how I am going to mount my SIII on my body or bike without breaking or losing it. Maybe I'll just wear jeans or sweat pants. ;)

attachment.php

Not as neat and without the health monitor stuff, but I downlowded an app call GPS Essentials yesterday and tested it on the way to pick up the wife. Does what I am interested in I am thinking. Converted to JPEG using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/. Just have to figure out how I am going to mount my SIII on my body or bike without breaking or losing it. Maybe I'll just wear jeans or sweat pants. ;)

attachment.php

That's what I did sorta. Wear gym shorts under riding pants and just put my phone in my pocket. Used an app called Tracktime to log laps/splits. Pretty cool.

Really cool.

Nice laps too.. I always wondered how fast we really ride.

Time:14:15
Moving Time:14:14
Elapsed Time:14:18

<tbody>
</tbody>
Avg Speed:29.3 mph
Avg Moving Speed:29.3 mph
Max Speed:38.8 mph

<tbody>
</tbody>

Really cool.

Nice laps too.. I always wondered how fast we really ride.

Time:14:15
Moving Time:14:14
Elapsed Time:14:18

<tbody>
</tbody>
Avg Speed:29.3 mph
Avg Moving Speed:29.3 mph
Max Speed:38.8 mph

<tbody>
</tbody>

I always said the most we did was 35-40 and mostly around 25 or less. Never actually knew how close I was, but knowing it feels like we are flying out there. I've heard peeps say, "Yeah, I was hitting like 60-70mph to hit that...etc.". Funny. :)

I always said the most we did was 35-40 and mostly around 25 or less. Never actually knew how close I was, but knowing it feels like we are flying out there. I've heard peeps say, "Yeah, I was hitting like 60-70mph to hit that...etc.". Funny. :)
Some probably are.....

Back