Moto monopoly?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I know that I have harped on this before but...
There are tons of good, qualified tracks all around the country that have been promoting amateur motocross for years and decades. Why would the AMA let MX Sports put a complete monopoly in place for youth and amateur championships? We as riders pay for membership, tracks pay through the nose for sanctioning fees and required insurance (of course through the AMA) and one "organization" gets to select each and every year who get qualifiers and regionals... In one case, a track that as of 3 weeks ago, did not even exist... It gets a regional where thousand of dollars will be profited from our collective wallets.
Meanwhile, the good people that pour countless hours of labor and money into their facility are completely dismissed without even a consideration. Far too many tracks have come and gone due too the lack of revenue, some may have been able to survive if given the opportunity to host one of these events. Why would the AMA continue to let this happen?
Yes, the LL "event" is fantastic. It has become, and has been, the end-all be-all for armature moto for 30 some years. Without a doubt the work that MX Sports has done plays a large part in this. BUT, without the riders, it is nothing more then an empty, flat pasture as it was in 1981. All of those riders learn and fine tune their talents on those "unqualified" tracks.
Now the track in Indiana may very well end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread, who knows, but what about EVERYONE else?
The AMA was originally set-up to protect the rights of participants and facilities of motorcycle enthusiasts. Could it be that they have completely lost contact with the motocross end of that community??? Or is it just a huge cash grab and they get the biggest kickback from one organization?

Many of us get excited to see a new track pop up on the schedule. We will go to great extents to post schedules, jump fences to get pictures and spend hours upon hours searching the internet for more information about a piece of dirt without thinking about "Is this best for our sport."
No one can deny our sport is under constant attack for the outside world. The PC world wants to protect our children for the possibility of injury due to the evil 2 AND 4 wheel vehicles. They want to clean the air of the harmful smoke generated by two stoke engines. They want to save the trees, save the ground from erosion, save the waterways from sediment runoff, save the whales and baby seals... but the motorcyclist??? to hell with them. Sure (Well I guess, I assume) they are doing something about "those" people, But what about the enemy's within?

Without the local track down the road or across the state, we would not need the AMA, or MX Sports. Loretta Lynn would just be a county singer. How about a "kickback" to those tracks.

Now, when late July rolls around, I hope to be on the fence watching my son compete on the highest level of amateur motocross. I will pay my entry fees, qualification fees, regional fees, camping fees, membership fees and who knows what else fees. But it is not because of MX Sport or any other organization. It is because like everyone else on this site, I love motocross and everything it does to build character of the participants and how it creates special memories with family that you will carry with you for the rest of your days.
None of that is not possible without the local tracks.

I realize some of my posting may be disconnected and jump for one thing to the next (It always sounds perfect in your mind) So here is the cliff notes version.
Motocross good
Need help to grow.
There are others besides an "organization" in West Virginia.
Kickbacks?

Thanks Mark
I did apply. The "Must work well with others and be comfortable occasionally representing the AMA in public settings" made me throw-up a little in my mouth but hey, I can do it.

Next step, President of the world.

Its not different than NASCAR. All the races are controlled by the france family, humpy wheeler and speedway corp. They are trying to get rid of any track that is not owned by one of those three.

It's all about the money (not saying it's necessarily a bad thing. Promoter trying to get richer is probably looking long term)...making it and saving it I figure. Might cost less to promote your own track versus paying another, etc., etc.

Can you really blame them? As far as ruining it, if you take it out of the AMA's hands by putting it in the largest MX promoters, like NASCAR did I guess, do they really destroy it or promote it? NASCAR doesn't seem to be hurting...then again, I only watch a race here and there and catch a hightlight or two on Sportscenter, but from what I see, every goon and his hillbilly brother-in-law (no disrespect. Just calling it how I see the majority) seems to be able to sit on the couch or tailgate, drink a beer/case, and cheer on Ricky Bobby and company... ;)

NASCAR is hurting too. We go up to MIS every year and camp in the infield. 10 years ago the seats would be packed outside and no camp sites empty on the inside.

Laat year they tore down a section of bleacher behind turn 3 that's always empty and you're seeing more empty infield plots. And the outside camp areas aren't stretching nearly towards town as they used to. But nonetheless leaving MIS makes leaving high point after the 2nd moto is a travelers dream. . .

Ten years ago it was next to impossible to get a ticket to most all NASCAR races. If you wanted to go to Bristol you had to wait for someone to die to get their ticket. Now, I don't think nascar has sold out a race in years. They have made it so vanilla with 903 races all on 1.5 mile ovals it is like watching paint dry. Sure some of their decline is a direct result of $, but I don't think they will ever come back. It is just too long and too damn boring. (they need a jump down the back straight, then I would watch)
Did you notice the "obstacles" in the pictures of the new track in Indiana? One of the first things they build was an uphill triple... Same as High Point, same as Utah, same as Pala same as Muddy creeks new section... Kinda sounds like vanilla. Yes uphill triples are fun but does every track need one? Every Supercross track is going to have a triple that EVERYONE jumps, whoops that EVERYONE can hammer through and a sand section that EVERYONE goes through single file. Again, VANILLA.
Why not have different tracks every year for pro races, qualifiers and regionals? Neither the track or the promoter are the products. Its the racing and the racers. Where they built this new track is less then 50 miles from at least three or four current or closed AMA tracks. If the Indy / Chicago market is what your after, why not let one of those tracks host those events? Better yet. Break it up and let each host one event. That would be better for the promoters and tracks which is good for the riders, and of course makes it better for the AMA.
Of course this all boils down to money. The answer to every question or possibility I has posed is answered by the all mighty dollar. That is why we need a non-profit organization to control tracks, promoters and participants... Oh wait....

I just bought 9 tickets to the daytona 500. Last week. What does that tell you? Like you said, unheard of. Someone would of had to die and left them in their living will.

There is nothing like the rumbling of those motors coming out of pit lane as MIS.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G99FpRBCOl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even danica sounds good.....

And lord knows she SUCKS! If there was ever a driver that did not deserve to be on the race track it is her!!

Yeah, neither does JS7! Geesh! ;)

You have problems with those who do not follow the "typical" racer or one that goes against the grain John259? What gives?...

Also, I'm thinking she deserves more than I. I'm a driver, I race to work and back everyday...

I have a couple insiders. One that has a radio show, and his wife is a writer for a couple national publications on NASCAR. They will tell you that MANY people inside the NASCAR garage have the same opinion as me, and they just keep their comments off the record, unlike Kyle Petty. He told it like it was on Danica. She can turn laps, and go the speed, but she does not RACE. That's the facts.

Gotcha. Yeah, I don't know. 'Tis why I asked...

However, as long a peeps keep giving her rides, I say she deserves to be out there... Just my opinion. Kinda like theirs, but not exactly... ;)

Later dude. :)

Back