Charge Quads More

Points can get lost in the bickering, which was not my intent. I'm talking about practice days, not race day. I'm just tossing out a potential solution as I see it so is quad guys who don't care about riding ruts or getting called couch riders can possibly get some track time. It's sad to me that guys who can't handle the varied track conditions we can create complain enough to track owners to keep us out or say they won't support their effort to keep Moto going for everyone by boycotting a track just for letting quads in. It's almost bigotry on a small level. Push down the minority population in favor of the majority.

Anyhow, my point was I'm perfectly happy to share a track, ruts and all, and thought if I paid a little extra to get in to support an extra grooming session so the bikes can make more ruts that maybe that would be a potential compromise scenario. I guess not.

At least it works at BC (like it did at Spring Valley and so many other places before). Too bad BC is 3 hours south of me.

I've said this on pitracer before... ya'all remember when the track owners of AMA district 12 thought that by eliminating quads it would get more bikes? Well, obviously that did not happen. There are only so many riders period. And the numbers are far less than what we all had back then. Heck, back then, the CRA and AMA D-12 both had full weekends.
So keep up your efforts and don't even try to make it work...then no one will have a place to ride.
Question to track owners: Could you have a quad only day on one of the week days? If no one shows up..no harm no foul.
OR, On the weekends of practice, have bikes from morning till like 2p and quads from 2 till close. IF no quads show up, you get an early day to be home with your families.

"I've said this on pitracer before... ya'all remember when the track owners of AMA district 12 thought that by eliminating quads it would get more bikes? Well, obviously that did not happen."

Cue Hershey in 3...2...1...and go

"I've said this on pitracer before... ya'all remember when the track owners of AMA district 12 thought that by eliminating quads it would get more bikes? Well, obviously that did not happen."

Nah, he and Georgie are hatching a new plot to keep their OMA numbers for 2014

Question to track owners: Could you have a quad only day on one of the week days? If no one shows up..no harm no foul.
OR, On the weekends of practice, have bikes from morning till like 2p and quads from 2 till close. IF no quads show up, you get an early day to be home with your families.[/QUOTE]

I can only speak from our experiences the past 2 years, but we did try a quads only week day practice for a short time last year and its really not "no harm no foul" when no one shows up, because your out a minimum of 4 hours prep time with two guys operating equipment and burning fuel plus paying someone to do the gate, etc. plus a wasted day of your time. We currently use the split practice model when we do weekend practices, bikes get their normal 4 hours and quads get 2 1/2 hours. We do it this way because the money to run the practice is made from the bikes and if we get a few quads thats a bonus. We have some great local quad riders in our area and we like to be able to give them time to ride too. Unfortunately we aren't nearly the size of Briar-cliff and don't have room to widen the track enough to allow for quads and bikes to ride together on our normal Wednesday evening practices when we have a lot of bikes. Before we went to split practice we started poling the bike riders as they came in the gate asking them if they had a problem doing a split weekend practice, most of them didn't mind as long as they got some "alone" time so we went with the 4 hours bikes only and then 2 1/2 hours for quads, there are plenty of quads that complain they pay the same for 2 1/2 hours as the bikes do for 4 but we only get like 15 quads so...... All in all I know there are some quads that would be willing to pay more for more time but in my experience a lot of them will not and there aren't that many to start with...

Why is that?

Points can get lost in the bickering, which was not my intent. I'm talking about practice days, not race day. I'm just tossing out a potential solution as I see it so is quad guys who don't care about riding ruts or getting called couch riders can possibly get some track time. It's sad to me that guys who can't handle the varied track conditions we can create complain enough to track owners to keep us out or say they won't support their effort to keep Moto going for everyone by boycotting a track just for letting quads in. It's almost bigotry on a small level. Push down the minority population in favor of the majority.

Anyhow, my point was I'm perfectly happy to share a track, ruts and all, and thought if I paid a little extra to get in to support an extra grooming session so the bikes can make more ruts that maybe that would be a potential compromise scenario. I guess not.

At least it works at BC (like it did at Spring Valley and so many other places before). Too bad BC is 3 hours south of me.

Matt, BingMaps has BC at 1hr. 58 Min from downtown Stow. It's about the same for me from Hinckley. How do you travel down?

Lol, got that sucker saved to a word doc. Sometimes when I'm having a real bad day I read it, and realize that I'm nearly as po'd as you were then.

The rant was just funny and the fact that so many other people got a kick out if it, made it even funnier. I thought you were going to burn it into a tree at BC in honor of Pitracer Potstirrers Anonymous…..

The rant was just funny and the fact that so many other people got a kick out if it, made it even funnier. I thought you were going to burn it into a tree at BC in honor of Pitracer Potstirrers Anonymous…..

Haha nothing gets by rocket. I say lots of things. That was why I saved it. I'm sure we will something with it eventually. Maybe a surprise .

Is there a ton of track prep needed for quads? I can think of 1 day where a track had a few dirt bike "traction corners" that were a little rough on a quad. Other than that, I don't know that 1 day, I have ever really needed or wanted a track prepped. I prefer a roughed up ride actually. You get better training/stamina riding through "hell" all day.

Other than fixing the faces of a jump, is there a lot of track prep needed for quads? Maybe 1 or two deep "traction" turns that need a turned under?

There are just not enough quads to support the track alone. It only takes 15 to 20 quads to change how the track is prepped.

How do you keep the majority of the cash flow (bikes) happy while trying to cater to the very small minority, quads?

It is not a quads vs. bikes issue. Its like playing polo on a football field during halftime. Or water polo while synchronized swimming is going on. Hockey during figure skating?

Crayon coloring class during Algebra class... they just don't go together.

I like the idea of having the bikes go till a certain time then have quads for the rest of the day. And the quad guys don't even need the track prepped, We'll flatten it out on our own.... That's a win/win for the track owner - more money through the gate and the track will be packed for the day..

I agree that the quads flatten out the track, but usually i can handle that, its actually nice to practice flat corners here and there, but its the point that quad riders can b dicks about it. The other day i was ridin smith rd and a faster quad rider just cut the corner right in front of me. I was gonna slow down and let em by whenever he caught up right behind me but he decided to just cut the corner and jump back on the track right in front of me. Or the slower ones just wont get outa the way! just my 2 cents, im sure ill catch some hell for it

I agree that the quads flatten out the track, but usually i can handle that, its actually nice to practice flat corners here and there, but its the point that quad riders can b dicks about it. The other day i was ridin smith rd and a faster quad rider just cut the corner right in front of me. I was gonna slow down and let em by whenever he caught up right behind me but he decided to just cut the corner and jump back on the track right in front of me. Or the slower ones just wont get outa the way! just my 2 cents, im sure ill catch some hell for it

I'm not knocking you, but I think that goes both ways and/or is universal: bikes cut off quads, quads cut off bikes. Even from faster to slower quads/bikes or young kids to faster quad, etc. It happens, but when it is intentional (which only the rider knows 100% certain) is when it's wrong.

I think there is a lack of proper etiquette while on the track. Hold your line on jumps, stay out of the middle of the track in most instances. We could all ride together in many different situations, but there's always someone in a hurry.

Come on Josh, the way you put it is saying ALL quad riders are "dicks about it". You know that ain't true. Yep, there are dicks out there but I'm sure you've met a few jackoff's the ride bikes too.
Ya see the problem here?

Can we at least all agree we should charge 3 wheelers $500 a day? They ruin ruts and corners... :eek:
I think we can classify the Bike vs. Quad topic an evergreen issue. Everyone has already picked a side and you are not going to change anyone's mind.
Gun control, welfare, Bikes v. quad, abortion, global warming, mayo v. miracle whip... Pick your side and defy reasoning with the other side.
How about the neck braces???

Back