Guess who? and about what?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
As a follow-up to my wildly popular and critically acclaimed "Where are the Ohio riders" I thought I would give everyone some numbers (facts) to ponder as you shove food in your face during Thanksgiving.
So, this week, as we all know, is the Mini O's. Personnel one of my favorite tracks and events to attend. Just outside the greatest city in the country... Go Gators... (Go fire that shitty, Bull Dog coach...) I digress... And I, like so many, began to wonder "How many riders are there and where are they from". Well I did the leg work for you, so let those numbers hit ya...
Right now there are 1882 entries at the 42nd annual Winter Olympics. Each paying $90 just for sign-up. = $169,380 minimum (Post added $10)
Of that 1882, Florida, of course had the most from one state. They have 371 entries. Then Georgia with 233.
Those where expected, given the proximity and the "GOD awful economy" that has been to blame for every other reason.
But something crazy happened on the way to a good excuse... Pennsylvania has 131 entries... Then North Carolina with 120, Then Texas with 76, and then OHIO with 72... WHAT??? THAT cant be... As we all know, The economy has killed the Ohio rider from being able to compete on a national level.
So how are there some many Ohio riders all the way down in Florida paying $60 per person to get in the gate and $90 for signup in each class??? We have no jobs, and no one has expendable income, and... well... OBAMA...????
Ohio, which was only able to send a pathetic 25 to LL's in August, can turn right around and send nearly 3 times that to a race the cost almost the same and is further away?

Yes, we are making strides with local tracks promoting big events on top notch tracks. Hopefully that translates into larger representation at LL's. But the next time someone says the economy is to blame for our state(s) reduction. Smack them up side the head with this little story.
Now I have to get busy stirring this pot of gravy for Thursday.
Happy Thanksgiving. SLACKERS... :eek: And good luck to everyone down there.

No No No... its do as I say... not as I do....
I will be on the line, don't you worry your little head on that one. The question is will I be 215 lbs, 230lbs or 265 lbs... I'm betting in 265... Added "traction" for a 500

Now what percentage wore neck braces, and of that percentage, who moonlighted as non union electrical contractors?

It's cheaper to race mini o's. And you qualify there. You don't have to drive all over the country for qualifier and regionals. Do the numbers again with the Ohio riders making mains. I predict 25-30 in the mains if the LL was true.

And another reason, you're real close to Disney. That's why we liked it so much. We'd race one week, then hit disney or the beach or other attractions the next week. Makes for a nice vacation. Going to Loretta's you're land locked and the closest thing to do is Nashville, and if you aren't into drink in' or listening' to country twang, not much to do.....

Exactly, cuz Disney is cheap and easy to afford for all those saying they can't do LL because of the economy!

The bottom line is, the Economy excuse is just another excuse in the long line of excuses the people that don't go will give. If the Economy was booming, they would have another reason to not go.

The people that want to go, go.

Well I mean my parents don't take my brother every year like we went. Economy is tighter. Money is tighter. I can't afford to go....Saving my butt off to go down for a few weeks and hit the Daytona Sx.

In the 90s we were doing Loretta's every year, Ponca once, Mini O's every year. Fuel was $1.00/gallon, then it spiked pretty high when I was on big bikes, we went a few more years and then now we don't go at all.....

It will be interesting to see the numbers of entrie from Ohio in the mains. Be cool to know the average age of the participants at the race also. Guessing its under 16 for sure.

I really feel if this sport would do more with "Certificates" or "Gifts" (cough, cough MONEY) for amatuers we would see alot larger gates. When I was in super mini and sr. mini racing at malvern, If I was able to pull off two podiums, it was only costing my mom $10 bucks to race by the time I got my Kames bucks and calculated those for cash. If I was fortunate enough to win both classes, I made $10 bucks (this is not calculating gate fee, just class fees). Then those certificates where all invested back into a MX retailer and helping riders purchase parts, gear, accessories. But the one thing I dont know, is how do the tracks recieve those certificates? It cant be free for the retailer, but it can't be much of a loss I wouldnt think either.

Another bonus about these certificates was, it was always another push for me to ride harder. If I wanted to go home with some loot, it was time to s**t and get!

Take this for example, would you rather race for $50, or another trophy?

I like the idea of offering a small payback across the board.

Payback for say the top 3 spots for every class with at least half the gates filled, or 5 spots for at least 3/4 of the gates filled wouldn't be a bad idea. Break it down something like $30/$20/$10(/$10/$10).
Let's assume it's $30 per class. There's 25 classes. And 10 get a full gate, and 15 get a half gate. And the gate holds 40 riders.
15(20) = 300 riders 300(30) = $9000. 60(15) = 900. 9000-900 = $8100 gross, or 10% less money. 10(40) = 400 riders 400(30) = $12000. 80(10) = 800. 12000-800 = $11200 or 6.67% less money.
Averages out to 8.3% less gross income. Bring in enough riders with the incentive, and you only lower that percentage. Or just be more greedy and offer it for only a full gate or only top 3 spots.

So in principle, by what it seems like would be giving up money, could actually bring in more money. All provided such an incentive did draw in more riders. Maybe use such a method at a few select events per year. Maybe it'd be worth putting it on the table for all the events in year.

Right now there are 1882 entries at the 42nd annual Winter Olympics. Each paying $90 just for sign-up. = $169,380 minimum (Post added $10)
Of that 1882, Florida, of course had the most from one state. They have 371 entries. Then Georgia with 233.
Those where expected, given the proximity and the "GOD awful economy" that has been to blame for every other reason.
But something crazy happened on the way to a good excuse... Pennsylvania has 131 entries... Then North Carolina with 120, Then Texas with 76, and then OHIO with 72... WHAT??? THAT cant be... As we all know, The economy has killed the Ohio rider from being able to compete on a national level.
So how are there some many Ohio riders all the way down in Florida paying $60 per person to get in the gate and $90 for signup in each class??? We have no jobs, and no one has expendable income, and... well... OBAMA...????
Ohio, which was only able to send a pathetic 25 to LL's in August, can turn right around and send nearly 3 times that to a race the cost almost the same and is further away?

ck1racerx from your comments, it seems as though you are comparing entries at Mini O's vs riders at LL. Please correct me if my thinking is wrong but if you have approx 70 Mini O entries with some riding SX, some riding MX and some riding multiple classes then your rider count from LL could/would remain constant.

Here's an interesting piece on the economic recovery, our area is near average to below average.

screen%20shot%202013-11-26%20at%2011.43.16%20am.png

I like the idea of offering a small payback across the board.

Payback for say the top 3 spots for every class with at least half the gates filled, or 5 spots for at least 3/4 of the gates filled wouldn't be a bad idea. Break it down something like $30/$20/$10(/$10/$10).
Let's assume it's $30 per class. There's 25 classes. And 10 get a full gate, and 15 get a half gate. And the gate holds 40 riders.
15(20) = 300 riders 300(30) = $9000. 60(15) = 900. 9000-900 = $8100 gross, or 10% less money. 10(40) = 400 riders 400(30) = $12000. 80(10) = 800. 12000-800 = $11200 or 6.67% less money.
Averages out to 8.3% less gross income. Bring in enough riders with the incentive, and you only lower that percentage. Or just be more greedy and offer it for only a full gate or only top 3 spots.

So in principle, by what it seems like would be giving up money, could actually bring in more money. All provided such an incentive did draw in more riders. Maybe use such a method at a few select events per year. Maybe it'd be worth putting it on the table for all the events in year.

I can EASILY say that if $5, $10, $15 was offered BACK to use of that $35 total we pay to come race ( gate fee and class ) I would race ALOT more. But another trophey? No thanks, I have a garage full of plastic already.

Mark, I only counted the entries in motocross. No I did not count each rider twice if they are running both Super and Moto...
Only an organization that has completely lost contact with its community would put out a study showing the "economic recovery" in a color coded map... Economic recovery should and can only be measured on a house by house bases. The mid west is or was dominated by manufacturing positions requiring little to no advanced education. The days of the overpaid Auto worker setting in the corner sleeping for 3 hours a day are gone (And they are to blame, Don't blame the companies or the "economy") A hundred years ago, the majority in our area were farmers... things change... times change.
Apparently prostitution is suffering... Reno and it surroundings are red... Get better looking whores and they will "stimulate" the economy.

Its not the economy or the choice of a trophy vs. a $10 gift card. it is the simple fact, Ohio riders on average are just not that good.

Its not the economy or the choice of a trophy vs. a $10 gift card. it is the simple fact, Ohio riders on average are just not that good.

I dont understand why? Maybe just less people in ohio are racing these days than there was 10yrs ago. I was gonna blame it on the winter time sucking a$$ but pennsyltucky has probably the same winter (im assuming) as we do so im not sure thats a valid argument. No national? I cant imagine that would have an effect but maybe so? How many average riders show up to a local weekend race per sanction? (cra, oma)

Keep in mind that if you are go to "payback" it has to be in some form other than cash money. Anyone that races for $$$ is no longer considered an amateur and that opens a whole new can of worms when you look at bigger nationals. If a rider is heading that way. Track bucks and Shop bucks would work great though. I know allot of tracks used to do that way back. Don't know why they stopped except that trophies are that much cheaper.

It is perfectly legal for the track to "buy back" the trophy from the rider... I know we did it at every race... back in the day... Damnit, I told myself I was not going to bring up the old days...

Spring valley used to do that. "Trophy or money". Win and you got your entry fee back before the amateur nazis went after people taking money and immediately bumped them to pro. In my opinion if you're getting your entry fee back you make $0. So you're not making money!!

ck- Ashtabula is red on the map. Go there and you'll see how spot on that map is. There atleast.

A fair comparison wouold be the # of Ohio riders that went to area qualifiers compared to the Mini O's. Remember there is no qualifying to get there......

Back