Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

Vet261

PR Addict
I've been slacking a little. Just tough to heat the garage up when it's 5 degrees out.

But I did manage to get a little work done on the '89 lately.

Turned this motor....
IMG_2370.jpg

Into this motor
IMG_2381.jpg

rsim141

PR Member
Very nice John! I'm pissed that my '82 RM project has been in a holding pattern. I know you said in an earlier post that you glass bead blasted your non-painted parts. What do you have for a blast cabinet? I found a 9 liter ultrasonic cleaner that I'm picking up next week and can hardly wait to see what it can do to my grungy stuff!

Vet261

PR Addict
Reid:

I have this blast cabinet with some modifications to improve it. Works fine for this stuff.
However, often during the Winter I go to a friends' shop and use his industrial blast cabinet, which was the case for the '89 parts.
http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-42202.html

Also, those cases are painted with engine enamel "cast coat aluminum" to simulate the OEM silver color motor. They are not bare.

rsim141

PR Member
I was reading some reviews of the HF blast cabinets and it seems like they are ok if you make sure to silicone seal all the edges on assembly. The larger HF cabinet is about $180 (with coupon) so I was considering that one.
We have a warm-up coming next week - maybe - so I can get my frame in the dry shed and just use my old hopper tank blaster out and see how it goes...just hate wasting blast media though!

With my '82 engine being matte black originally, I think I have it easy for that part of the paint work. Your blue frame looks fantastic! How many coats over how many days to get that done so thick & perfect?

Are you pressing your own bearings? If so, what works well in your experience?

Vet261

PR Addict
Dude, I don't even mess with frames. I clean them and go over them for cracks, etc (which this '89 had and Sharc was nice enough to weld for me). I take them to a local sandblast shop and they blast and prime the frame for about 50 bucks.

I actually do have a press but you don't need a press for any bearings unless you are doing a crank rebuild. I would just have someone like Parma Dave or Mototech Mansfield do the crank rebuild because that all needs trued, balanced, etc.

On the blast cabinet, yes you must seal it real good. I also converted it to a better spray nozzle and installed a light. The reason I bought the smaller unit is because I have it on a rolling table so I can roll it outside when using.

Vet261

PR Addict
Well mine rolls now....coming along....

I'm sure others have had this too.....happy moment when you connect all the electricals and kick it over and it has spark! Sounds simple but I bought these bikes not running so it was a gamble.

IMG_2442.jpg

rsim141

PR Member
Wow John - I'd love to check out your workshop someday! It's like a "triage" setup before the operating room! Man, that bike is going to be sweet - like all your rebuilds I'm sure.

Where did you get the radiators for that one?

And the seat kits?

beenridin

PR Elite
Well mine rolls now....coming along....

I'm sure others have had this too.....happy moment when you connect all the electricals and kick it over and it has spark! Sounds simple but I bought these bikes not running so it was a gamble.

View attachment 14429

Does the frame run outside the silencer end? Holy crap ...that has to add a pound or two!

Vet261

PR Addict
Does the frame run outside the silencer end? Holy crap ...that has to add a pound or two!

Not sure what you mean. It's the same frame style as the '87 RM you have with the goofy frame loop the exhaust goes through.

Those are the chinko aftermarket radiators from Ebay. I had to heat up and change the bend on one tube, but hard to beat for $90 a set. Aftermarket seat foam and covers are readily available on Ebay as well.

mshafer62

PR Addict
My bike's ready to go!
Replaced my 9yr old Seven Ti frame with a new '13 model BH G6 carbon frame.
BH is known for their super stiff bottom bracket and oversize chain stays.
Reused Shimano Di2 electronic 11 speed compact groupo and C35 carbon wheels as they were both new last year.
New 3T carbon bars, aluminum stem and Aironne saddle.
Haven't had it on the scales yet but should weigh about 16#

IMAG0070 (1).jpg

evomx244

PR Addict
My bike's ready to go!
Replaced my 9yr old Seven Ti frame with a new '13 model BH G6 carbon frame.
BH is known for their super stiff bottom bracket and oversize chain stays.
Reused Shimano Di2 electronic 11 speed compact groupo and C35 carbon wheels as they were both new last year.
New 3T carbon bars, aluminum stem and Aironne saddle.
Haven't had it on the scales yet but should weigh about 16#

View attachment 14461

Nice-I plan on putting in alot more miles in on the road than last year, starting today