Anyone want a trials bike? 74 RL250

BILL88L

PR Addict
Saw this in Columbus:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4248509552.html

Had the guy send me pictures. Looks to be all there and he says it runs, I was thinking about it but I still have a maxed out garage. Figured I'd share if anyone has interest.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1387407569770.jpg
    ResizedImage_1387407569770.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 131
  • ResizedImage_1387407641413.jpg
    ResizedImage_1387407641413.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 122
Bill,

If you are looking for a RL250 trials bike, I have one that I picked up a while ago and have never used. It is a low hour bike. It has a steel tank and there is a small dent on the other side.

I paid $1100 for it and would be happy to get that back. I have been thinking about selling it and with my RM125 engine blowing up, I need to fund that repair.

RL250 (1024x768).jpg

Dan

Dan - I wish I could but the garage won't allow it....one more bike pushes one car into the driveway and that won't be my wife's! Looks like a nice bike. Did you ever get the knee fixed?

My MCL is healing and my knee feels stronger each month. The bone stuff is all healed by now.

No new ACL. I saw 2 additional orthopedic docs and each recommend against reconstruction. They are basing their recommendation on age and my current level stability. My first surgeon said that I couldn't pay him enough to operate on my knee, I told him that I had been paying him plenty not to. All were consistent and did tell me that there is no harm in waiting. If I decide I can't do what I want without an ACL, I can get it replaced in the future. My concern was that without an ACL that my knee will be easier to hurt again.

The plan is keep rehabbing, brace up, race in the spring, and stay away fast packs of 18-19 year olds that fly better and seem to bounce.

Have a great holiday season - looking forward to seeing many of you again in the spring. Heck, I went from my first ever motocross race last spring to having a great motocross crash story - all is good.

My MCL is healing and my knee feels stronger each month. The bone stuff is all healed by now.

No new ACL. I saw 2 additional orthopedic docs and each recommend against reconstruction. They are basing their recommendation on age and my current level stability. My first surgeon said that I couldn't pay him enough to operate on my knee, I told him that I had been paying him plenty not to. All were consistent and did tell me that there is no harm in waiting. If I decide I can't do what I want without an ACL, I can get it replaced in the future. My concern was that without an ACL that my knee will be easier to hurt again.

The plan is keep rehabbing, brace up, race in the spring, and stay away fast packs of 18-19 year olds that fly better and seem to bounce.

Have a great holiday season - looking forward to seeing many of you again in the spring. Heck, I went from my first ever motocross race last spring to having a great motocross crash story - all is good.

Hi Dan - I have a couple of buddies in the "knee business" and a fairly new treatment method to help with healing and pain is amniotic fluid injection. None of the side effects of steroidal injections and I see a lot of positive reports - something to ask them about at your next appointment maybe! Here are a couple of links:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Amniotic-...njections-As-Regenerative-Medicine&id=6429655

http://r3stemcell.com/stem-cell-treatments/amniotic-derived-stem-cell-injections/

The company supplying the surgeons up here is Single Source Surgical and my wife is going to look at doing it as she has had the meniscus-trimming operation so far but is still having a lot of problems.

Merry Christmas to you & your family Dan!

No new ACL.

Hey, some anecdotal "evidence" for you . I took the same sort of advice back in '90 or
so. The issue for me was that I was "popping the knee out" fairly frequently. Each
time it was sliding across surfaces it wasn't supposed to, it wore a little bit of meniscus
off, then finally bone off. I finally, 7-8 years later, got it repaired with a patellar
graft. So now it's arthritic and I'll need a knee implant thing when I can't stand the pain
anymore.

The other knee, the week after I blew out the ACL the doc fixed it. It is solid 10 years
later. Just for completeness, both ACLs where homographs, the first patellar tendon, the
second hamstring.

So if you're able to keep the muscles around your knee strong enough to keep the
thing from "popping out" occasionally, I think you are doing the right thing. If not,
the second repair I had I was walking and riding a bicycle in a week, riding in 2 months.
Wish I'd done it on the first (but they didn't do hamstring homographs then)

Just a data point.

Ditto on the hamstring. I think I told Dan already but I tore my ACL 4 years ago skiing and went that route-was back at it hard the next year. That knee actually feels better then my other one. One thing I did do is plop down the $500 for asterisk knee braces to ride with-just feel better with the strap to boot set up. Look forward to seeing you in Athens.

Reid and Mike, thanks for the information on the cell therapy and insight from your knee experiences. Bill, you did tell me and I was originally 100% sure I was going to get it replaced with the hamstring option as you did. There was an interesting alternative from a clinic in Houston called the Sanders Clinic. http://www.sandersclinic.net/#page=page1 That doctor specializes in motocross injuries and recommends using a patella tendon from the non-injured knee. The racer I bought an 83 YZ125 from last fall told me about him. The claimed benefit is faster recovery. I read too many stories about persistent stiffness, soreness, etc.

My Doctor wanted to wait for swelling to go down and bone to heal before any reconstruction. I did a lot of pre-hab to prepare for the surgery and my knee feels fairly strong and stable. It never feels like it gives out or pops out. If it is does start popping our or feeling wonky, I'll go the hamstring route.

I have a prescription for a Donjoy brace but with all the wonderful insurance changes lately, I have to spend a bunch before I meet deductibles. I haven't bought it yet and was considering the asterisk braces. I need to get something. I don't know if the Donjoy is worth the extra cost.

I tore my ACL and MCL at Smith Rd in 2003. Did therapy for 3 months on the MCL for it to heal and then had hamstring graft acl surgery. I've been pretty much fine since.

I went with the lighter Cyto Asterisk model-I really like that it's not real bulky. You tube Introducting the Asterisk Cyto Cell yes the typo is there. Good info and more or less sold me on them.

I have one "Blesoe" brace is used for riding and skiing for 2-3 years after-Drew does have piece of it somehow. It doesn't have knee cups but I could fit it right over a regular standard basic one-worked great. I didn't like it for skiing as much because it banged on the opposite knee constantly, good thing is I trust the knee so much I don't need it. If you want to give it a try you are more than welcome to.

I have a prescription for a Donjoy brace but with all the wonderful insurance changes lately, I have to spend a bunch before I meet deductibles. I haven't bought it yet and was considering the asterisk braces. I need to get something. I don't know if the Donjoy is worth the extra cost.

I have a Donjoy for the knee that is trashed, new ACL and all, and a CTi for the better knee. The
Donjoy is no slightly lighter but it is bulkier and harder to walk in. I don't notice a difference on the
bike though, beyond the Donjoy tearing up pants and tank more. Another good thing about the Donjoy
is that I just sent both back for rebuild (I tear stuff up) and the CTi cost $150, the Donjoy was free.

Back