FLA Theater Shooting Victim was MXer

Vet261

PR Addict
From CNN:

Though the garage door was shut, a day earlier the Tampa Tribune reported that a reporter saw a motocross motorcycle was on a stand next to a gold pickup truck and a child's wagon."He loved his job, loved his family, loved motocross, loved the motorcycle world," friend Joseph Detrapani told the newspaper. "He grew up riding motocross and loved to keep doing it, even at his age of 43, he's still out there every weekend riding."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/15/justice/florida-movie-theater-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

He was a member at VitalMX.

This is why I carry a gun. And whenever possible walk away from situations like this. No sense in arguing with yo-yo's today. It's easier just to walk away even if you're right.

Throwing popcorn doesn't constitute me taking a gun out and putting a bullet into someone's else's chest. That guy has been on presidential security detail before.....a psychotic that made it 71 years and texting made him lose it. Wierd.

This is why I carry a gun. And whenever possible walk away from situations like this. No sense in arguing with yo-yo's today. It's easier just to walk away even if you're right.

Throwing popcorn doesn't constitute me taking a gun out and putting a bullet into someone's else's chest. That guy has been on presidential security detail before.....a psychotic that made it 71 years and texting made him lose it. Wierd.

Agreed, carry my Glock 22 everyday with a full mag of Critical Defense just for occations like this. Tired of all these wackos and crazies out there.

I think a lot of people are going to miss the point on this one. Just being armed, I don't think that would have stopped him from being killed. I know for a fact that him respecting others surroundings would have prevented it. That should be one of the lessons here.

What are the chances that your average, licensed conceal and carry permit holder, that is actually carrying would be able to make a decision quick enough to remove their side arm from it's concealed position and fire an accurate shot before a lifelong government trained killer can?

Me personally, I'm more aware of my surroundings when I'm carrying, which unfortunately is only about 50% of the time I actually have my side arm on my person. Come on... what kind of person argues with a senior citizen about something that he knows he is wrong in doing in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he deserved to get shot, but man up and don't argue with a person 30 years your elder or anyone for that matter when you know you are in the wrong.

Remember... be careful who you argue with, whether it be driving down the road, inline at the bank, in the movie theater, or wherever, you never know if they are a trained killer or just hell bent on destroying something at that given moment!

I could go on forever about this, but this is one of those situations that make all of us (motorcycle guys) look bad. No different than the neighborhood idiot that likes to drag race his MX bike up and down the street without a helmet rite at dinner time, so everybody can be pissed off about him disrupting their dinner. Me personally, I'm cool with the bike on the street, (other than the fact that it makes me look bad also) but remember... 99.9 percent of the population is not. Now this motorcycle guy goes and acts like an idiot to a senior citizen that just happens to be a trained killer, 99.9 percent of the population is going to say, "he got what he deserved"

Well this .000000001% of the population believe the piece of s@#t old man needs to be hung by his thumbs in a public square and tortured to death. I don't care if the guy like motorcycles, soccer, tiddlywinks or what. The old man was looking to complain about someone using a phone because he doesn't understand or refuses to accept technology changes, so if you cant keep up, then shut up or just go off and die in a corner somewhere.
This POS ex-cop (like that matters) and many like him have no value for human life. The only way of getting through to people like that is to SHOW them what happens when you break the law. Don't put them in a cell and feed them at tax payers expense. Hang the SOB's and you will see a decline in these types of issues.
Its not the gun, its not texting, its not the subject of the movie....ITS THE P.O.S.

If yall didnt already know, im from Florida and worked with Chad at ridenow port richey(sky powersports now) for a year and half. he was a great guy and cool dude. we rode motos, stopped at hooters, drank beers, went boating, hung out and were pretty close while i worked at ridenow port richey. he was a F-16 fighter gunner/navigator and pretty good mx'er. we used to ride at lakeland speedway mx track, bartow and other tracks around central FL. i remember we met at lakeland one day to ride and he drove to the track with his bike tied down by the kill switch wires! i dont know how it made the hour drive to the track like that! then he went out and rode with the choke on the first practice. we all laughed at him so long for that. i told him man today wasnt your day. but he still rode and had a good day. chad was just a funny dude had lots of cool stories from desert storm when we flew his missions in the air force. i saw the news on facebook monday night and couldnt belive what i was reading. just a shock and a loss to everyone. i knew him before he had his daughter but i wish them the best going forward without thier father and husband. just sux that this type of thing would happen to someone like him. i saw on news form tampa another person came forward and said she had a run in with the same shooter a few weeks before at another theatre for the same thing. he probably didnt pull his gun but what was he thinking he is the texting police? dumbass old man.

I think a lot of people are going to miss the point on this one. Just being armed, I don't think that would have stopped him from being killed. I know for a fact that him respecting others surroundings would have prevented it. That should be one of the lessons here.

What are the chances that your average, licensed conceal and carry permit holder, that is actually carrying would be able to make a decision quick enough to remove their side arm from it's concealed position and fire an accurate shot before a lifelong government trained killer can?

Me personally, I'm more aware of my surroundings when I'm carrying, which unfortunately is only about 50% of the time I actually have my side arm on my person. Come on... what kind of person argues with a senior citizen about something that he knows he is wrong in doing in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he deserved to get shot, but man up and don't argue with a person 30 years your elder or anyone for that matter when you know you are in the wrong.

Remember... be careful who you argue with, whether it be driving down the road, inline at the bank, in the movie theater, or wherever, you never know if they are a trained killer or just hell bent on destroying something at that given moment!

I could go on forever about this, but this is one of those situations that make all of us (motorcycle guys) look bad. No different than the neighborhood idiot that likes to drag race his MX bike up and down the street without a helmet rite at dinner time, so everybody can be pissed off about him disrupting their dinner. Me personally, I'm cool with the bike on the street, (other than the fact that it makes me look bad also) but remember... 99.9 percent of the population is not. Now this motorcycle guy goes and acts like an idiot to a senior citizen that just happens to be a trained killer, 99.9 percent of the population is going to say, "he got what he deserved"

I belive he was texting his daughter before the the movie, before the real preveiws started during the lights on bullshit they have before the preveiws come on. i see no problem with that and do the same thing. i turn my phone off when the lights go down for the real previews. he did not get what he deserved at all.

Sorry for your loss Derek, I had no idea this hit home this much locally here when I posted it. Thanks for sharing the stories.

"The old man was looking to complain about someone using a phone because he doesn't understand or refuses to accept technology changes, so if you cant keep up, then shut up or just go off and die in a corner somewhere."

Have to agree with CK1 racer 100%. I'm not opposed to owning guns at all. However i find the fact that this guy was a cop as rather ironic/dispicable since the head of the NRA Wayne LaPierre has been constantly repeating the phrase "the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"...so then I ask is the cop the good guy? Not in this case. It's really sad. I'm not sure what the answer is, but this is just ludicrous.

I'm surprised nobody shot him. How many people would panic and fear for their life in that situation especially since he just put a bullet through someone chest.

And when you're carrying you need to be able to locate your weapon and fire within three seconds. And that's still too long. If chad was carrying I doubt it would of changed the outcome, but whose to say that guy wasnt going to clean house after the first bullet....

Back