C.O.O. Question

TBO

PR Addict
I am selling my kx450. I have a guy who wants it, wants to know if I have the title. I tell him I have the certificate of origin. I purchased the bike in North Carolina and it has the original owners info on the back. I never had him sign it over to me. He does not want the bike unless I can transfer the C.O.O. to a title. I contacted the B.M.V. they told me on off road motorcycles you just give him the C.O.O. to the new owner? I contacted the title
agency and they told me I need the original owners signature notarized and a bill of sale. I still have the original owners info. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you have his address, I would put it on the COO, and sign that baby. Take it to the title office and get a title. Have a friend notarize it and its done. If you bought it legit, no big deal in my opinion.

^What he said would be the easiest way. Otherwise you would have to meet up with the original owner and go to the notary together, or you would have to print and sign on the buyer's lines and mail it to the original owner and have them go to the notary and get it notarized and mail it back to you. Or find a new buyer who doesn't care about the title lol.

I had to do just what John said with my 12 YZF. The shop I bought it from had gone out of business and the BMV told me it could take up to 2 months to get all the correct info on the folded bike shop. A BMV worker from Wisconsin (The state I bought the bike in) told me that would be the easiest way!

If you have his address, I would put it on the COO, and sign that baby. Take it to the title office and get a title. Have a friend notarize it and its done. If you bought it legit, no big deal in my opinion.

It was legit. Do you have to pay sales tax when you title it? I don"t know what the deal is with the title unless he is planning on riding at Wayne or something.
I have proof of ownership.

I am not sure on the sales tax..........My guess is yes, on the value you sell it to him for.

First of all, what state are you in? Ohio?

It is technically illegal to sell a motor vehicle (including our dirt bikes newer than 1999) in the state of Ohio without a registered Ohio title to transfer to the new owner. Yes I understand that sales without titles happen all the time, I'm just letting you know that technically speaking it is not legal.

Again, by the book, the previous owner would have had to sign it over to you appropriately for the state of NC. I say that because it varies from state to state. For example, Michigan does not require notarization while Ohio and other states do. The Ohio title bureau has a list of what info they need depending on the state the bike came from.

You would then take that NC documentation AND THE BIKE to a LICENSE BUREAU (yes I said license) and ask for an out of state inspection. You will pay them about $3 to walk outside with you and "inspect" the vin, which essentially means they look at the bike and copy the vin to an inspection form.

You then take the NC documents and the inspection form to the title bureau and apply for title. At that time you pay the title fees and Ohio tax for your county on the purchase price you paid for the bike. They keep all the NC documents and you walk out with a fresh Ohio title.

When you sell it you then sign it over to the new owner in the presence of a notary and hand it to the new buyer. New buyer goes to title bureau, pays Ohio tax, and gets a new title printed in their name with you listed as previous owner.

I have done this process many times now. Had two close calls --- one time on a 450 I bought in Michigan they found a digit missing from the VIN on the Michigan title. Bunch of them working there went back and forth on it, and eventually just marked the error and issued me an Ohio title with the corrected VIN. Another bike I got from WV the guy gave me the WV title but it wasn't in his name. It was signed over to him properly, but not in his name. Again I lucked out and got it through.

I bought a bike from Georgia. They don't require titles for dirt bikes (not driven on the road) in GA. I didn't even have a COO. We created a bill of sale. Notorized it, and I was able to get a title through ohio title agency. Yes, there is sales tax. If there is no sale price on the documentation, you have a little flexibility there. IMO having it notorized might be the biggest problem given you have to go back to the original owner (unless you have a close friend that trusts you but most notaries I know take it very serious and should). If NC does not require titles and the COO is legit, I don't know why the buyer would have a major issue with it, IMO. Good luck.

Thanks

Michael

Do you know a notary.......just sayin'

Or just wait on someone else that will take the COO without signatures. People will do it.

Easiest thing to do is go about it the way vet261 described. I had a headache buying a jet ski this year.....Title was in this kids uncle's name, but the registration was in the kids name, so they wanted everyone to present. Took me 3 trips to different title bureaus and five days of my life for everything to be set straight.

It's almost easier just to buy new all the time and trade back to the dealers.

Thanks for the info guys. N.C. Did not require it to be noterized. Yes I know a notary.

Back