Cool Story that I would like to share

kevin849

PR Member
Knox started a thread in MX forum about how you started racing and I would like to tell a little story here, you vintage guys will like the ending. I am not a writer but here we go. I grew up in Waverly Ohio in the country and had a great place to ride,my mom always tried to keep me a motorcycle because she know how much I liked riding. MX was all I dreamed about, most of my bikes were not designed for that. Suzuki TS's and DS's and even a Harley 90. I had an older friend, Greg Howard who I rode with and he talked my mom into letting me race. In 1979 mom took me to Barches Suzuki and bought a brand new RM 80. After practicing for a little while Greg and I loaded up the trailer and headed to Gleneste speedway for my first race. We made it to Washington CH and had a flat on the trailer and of course we had no spare, we unhooked the trailer and I waited until Greg come back and away we went. My first race was a big learning experience, Gleneste was the place in the 70's, the gate was full and I was scared to death but I survived and I have been hooked ever since. Greg and I raced just about every weekend in 1979 and 80. Gleneste, Dirt Country, Happy Hollow, Brimstone, Honda Hills, Albany just to name a few tracks, what great memories. Sadly Greg was killed in a car accident in 1981, I have keep in touch with his parents through the years and his motorcycle has sat in there garage on a stand for 33 years. Years ago his dad told me he would like for me to have it, I left it there because I was not sure that they really wanted it gone. Well today I went and picked it up. I am gone to get it running and ride the vintage series in memory of Greg, because its his fault that I am hooked on bikes. It is a 1980 RM 125. I will try to post pictures soon.

Wow, great story! Looking forward to the pics and seeing you race the bike in person. I'm sure Greg will be cheering you on.

That's a story worthy of telling.
Motorcycle riding builds friendships and families, and he would want you to do this.

Knox started a thread in MX forum about how you started racing and I would like to tell a little story here, you vintage guys will like the ending.

Sounds like this story is far from ending. And very cool. Enjoy the ride!

Great memories for sure Kevin849...getting to relive them is a gift. Those "T" series RM125's were good bikes too!

p.s. Nice to see Kevin Brown hanging around here on PitRacer. Troyan and I were talking a while back about some races from 2002-ish and your name came up. Hope all is well.

Great story Kevin, glad I could be part of it. If my family still owned Happy Hollow, you could ride for free.
Make sure you ride that bike and show it off.
In 1988 while setting on the starting line at dirt country, Phil Plummer rolled up to the 125A gate on a '79 CR 125. This was a time when NO ONE rode a bike a year old. He finished last and I took home the cash...BUT 26 years later I still remember Phil and the bike. He did not have the story you have.
Share the bike and the story. People will remember.

Great story Kevin, glad I could be part of it. If my family still owned Happy Hollow, you could ride for free.
Make sure you ride that bike and show it off.
In 1988 while setting on the starting line at dirt country, Phil Plummer rolled up to the 125A gate on a '79 CR 125. This was a time when NO ONE rode a bike a year old. He finished last and I took home the cash...BUT 26 years later I still remember Phil and the bike. He did not have the story you have.
Share the bike and the story. People will remember.

Wow, that's a name I have heard in 35 years. I never knew he made it to A class. Last time I saw him, he was still on 80's.

Wow, that's a name I have heard in 35 years. I never knew he made it to A class. Last time I saw him, he was still on 80's.

I do not know Phil all that well. Talked to him a few times but don't think I seen him since. Think I seen him at an auction a few months ago but not sure it was him.
Kevin's story really has me thinking. Looking back, there are only a handful of bikes that I have such strong memories of. Phil's old '79 125. Mussleman's GOD for saken Can-am Sonic 500 from '85ish (I still have bruises on my chest from that damn thing). Eddie Hicks '84 DMC YZ 80 worth 30K at the time. Eddie Forsyth's M-Star 500 just looked sweat, And of course the greatest motocross bike EVER made, a 1985 KX125.
Rebuilding a bike with memories attached to it is so much better then working on a bike that you just that a good deal on. Really helps hold your attention to the details. I am going to add the Sonic and the M-Star to the list of bikes I am looking for.

I remember a Phil Pummel, but not Plummer. Chris my first trophy was from Happy Hollow in 79, the mini SR. class was loaded with fast riders. Don Conkel, Troy Smith, Troy Graham, Brad Forsythe and the Karshner brothers to name a few.

Yes Pummel. Knew that name was not correct
Yes that was stacked class. I will check with my Grandmother to see if she can dig up the line up of all the classes that year. Sure it would show a who's who from back in the day

I remember a Phil Pummel, but not Plummer. Chris my first trophy was from Happy Hollow in 79, the mini SR. class was loaded with fast riders. Don Conkel, Troy Smith, Troy Graham, Brad Forsythe and the Karshner brothers to name a few.
Wow I haven't heard Don Conkel name in ages, along with Troy Karshner

I don't know Cornell but troy Graham troy Karshner and Tommy watts had the greatest race I've ever seen one night at dirt country in 82. All 3 wfo all the way around the pond after the widowmaker man they were flying

Back