Stripped oil filter bolt hole 250sxf, Need Permanet fix?

Superktman55

PR Member
One of my bolt holes are stripped out that hold my oil filter cap on. My bike is a 2011 ktm 250sxf. What are some permanent fixes I can do, being that I change the filter every 2 weeks so It sees a lot of wear. Please chime in if you have any experience with this issue.

How does that bolt get stripped....you must be as mechanically inclined as I am.

marcthesharc would have a heart attack if he saw that.

Probably your best bet is to install a Helicoil insert. You can get them at hardware or automotive stores. Obviously you want to get metric ones for the size bolt your cap has.

Any good mechanic could do it for you if you are not comfortable.

GorgiePorgie you must not of read the text. I asked for someone to help me not insult me. So if you haven't encountered how to fix this then you should probably leave ......

Yes it will need to be drilled slightly bigger, tapped, and then the helicoil installed to fit the original bolt.

I'm not super familiar with your model so you may be correct.

Would getting a long M5 bolt cutting the head off and jb welding it in. It would act like a stud and then use a nut to tighten it down, would that work? No im very mechanically inclined I can do it myself

Maybe? It's worth a shot. I'd look into that permatex stuff posted above, looks promising.

GorgiePorgie you must not of read the text. I asked for someone to help me not insult me. So if you haven't encountered how to fix this then you should probably leave ......

You just have to know how to take him, he insulted himself too.

Can you upload a pic of the bolt hole? Helicoil is the best fix by far. The permatex might work ok since there is no real stress on it. But since you change your filter so often I might worry about it. The helicoil is super easy to install and permanent.

The only problem I can think of with the helicoil is that if it's like my honda.. the bolt holes are very deep and you'd have to drill out a lot of meat until you got to the part that actually contains the threads. Haven't changed an oil filter on a kxf250 however so I'm only guessing.

If your going to buy JB weld, you better buy a For Sale sign while your there.
Helicoil is really the only option outside welding it and re-tap

The only problem I can think of with the helicoil is that if it's like my honda.. the bolt holes are very deep and you'd have to drill out a lot of meat until you got to the part that actually contains the threads. Haven't changed an oil filter on a kxf250 however so I'm only guessing.

In that situation the bolt likely goes through the crankcase cover and into the crankcase half. You would remove the cover completely and put the helicoil in the crankcase.

When an M-6 screw is stripped from its bore it will leave a. 236” dia. hole.
The next size screw to fit that hole/ bore would be a 5/16-18.
A 5/16-18 uses an “F” drill or .257” for its tap drill.
Obviously, you would then clear the filter-cap to except the larger screw.

Another option to consider is this stuff. If you can get the hole super clean so that the material can get a really good bite on the base metal, then you could redrill and retap it back to the spec bolt size. I would personally lean toward this before I would heli coil or go oversize.

I bought and used the product to rebuild a water pump housing on a Honda. Haven't had the opportunity to finish it yet but after I poured it, it set up super hard and bit well to the base metal.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&sa=X&ei=e-3rUraKCu3isASIqYKoCA&ved=0CJEBELkk

Probably be able to order online, or go to your local bearing and seal supply house and get it.

Yes it's pricey, but you'll likely only use a little of it and have plenty left over for future mishaps.

Just ram a big fat sheet metal screw in there and sell it. That's what Hershey would do.

Preferrably slotted screw driver head, not phillips.

Just ram a big fat sheet metal screw in there and sell it. That's what Hershey would do.

Preferrably slotted screw driver head, not phillips.

bolt.jpg

No this is my type of fix!!!

napa had this thread repair epoxy that was good for 600lbs of torque,i used it on the water pump cover on my 98 cr250 with no problems

Back