Florida weather

John250

PR Founding Father
Everyone is looking for a place to ride this winter. Record cold, and snow in places all across the country. While Florida has had some cold days this year, when you look around the country, that's the place to be. 82 in Port Orange yesterday, 85 today. Something about the weather streams steering clear of Florida. Want to go ride some where, head to central Florida, the weather is great. I want to move there, and the wife is totally not leaving her family.

My Mother and Father just bought a place in Wesley Chapel (about 1/2 mile from where Dean Wilson lives) and went down last weekend. It has been mid 80's everyday since. My sister lives in Harmony and gets the same weather... WTF am I still doing in Ohio? Darn job...

Interesting idea really.
Recalling when we were teenagers we were so sick of the cold gray overcast crap Ohio weather that we swore when we grew up we were moving south to the sunshine states. My teenage partner in crime, for 5 years, did get to move when we were 15 when his father took a job transfer to a Georgia Air Force base, and then he moved to his Grandmothers place in Southern Mississippi. He's been there now for about 33 years. I still talk to him frequently.

The wife and I often talk about buying property down south, but I can't see past the tax and insurance costs of a second home and property.
I need someone to show me a smart way to accomplish this. Even if you're not in Florida, the weather in all of them southern states, S.Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Luisiana is still better than Ohio on average. My dads brother retired to southern Alabama and loved it.

Snapshot of todays weather. Even though not primo summer temps, I could live with high 40's to mid 50's if it's bright and sunny. Plus their winter is reallistically like 2 months shorter than ours overall. I'm told they start planting much earlier too.
Southern temps.JPG

That photo is enough to move south to Florida. I would go tomorrow. Someone convince my wife.

I look forward to warm weather and am hating Ohio right now but... I don't think I would like the warmer lower state's in the middle of July and August... If I could only win the lottery...

I lived on Manhattan Beach for a year and Hollywood Beach and South Beach for 3 years. When our son was born we immediately moved back to Ohio. Yes the weather is nice but I missed real people and green grass and family. Ohio is the greatest place on earth 9 months out of the year but winter just plain sucks. The best model is to live and flourish in Ohio and head south for the winter. We're going 10 days this winter. I want to eventually stretch that to 3 months LOL.

A rep with one of our suppliers at work was telling me this as well.
He grew up in southern Florida and spent most of his years there, and loves it up here now. Likewise, He says it's the people in Florida that he was glad to get away from.
He claimed a story of another floridian he knew that moved to North Dakota, told him that 40 below zero keeps the trash out. :)

Back