What do you do before races to get in the zone?

I have my first somewhat big race coming up and I'm very nervous what should I do to calm down my nerves and get ready for this event.

I have my first somewhat big race coming up and I'm very nervous what should I do to calm down my nerves and get ready for this event.

That is the greatest feeling in the world. Those of us that have not raced in years long to have the pit in our gut again. I say cherish it, love it, then own it. It never goes away.

I used to start freaking out the night before and couldn't sleep. Pit in the gut all morning. I noticed every ambulance and grave yard along the way. It escalated all the way to the gate until it droped, then it's gone in an instant. The older I get the more I realize it's all an illusion. It seems like the whole world is watching. It turns out nobody is really watching. Even at the pro level does anyone remember who finished 10th at Anaheim 2 last year? Best you can do is train for everything that happens after the gate drops and enjoy the greatest sport on earth.

Yeah, I am with Chuck.....after the gate drops you wont worry about anything. I cant remember when I was like nervous like you describe......years and years ago. No real nerves these days. Now once and a while I seem to put pressure on myself to get a good start or whatever...but that's it. Usually if I can win the battle to the first turn after that everything else is usually ok. So I always try to get a good start toward the front of the pack.

See if you can dig up an old copy of "Relax and Win" it is an audio self hypnosis tape from back in the 80's (I'm sure its still relevant today) The sound of that guys voice and the technique of relaxing every muscle in your body starting at the top of your head and ending with your toes... man, it was relaxing.
I think I still have a copy at Mom and Dads house. Think I will go try to find it.
Trust me, it works great.

I visualize the perfect first lap, then I get reeeeeeal pissed, because its never worked out that way, and I just wing it when the card goes sideways.

I usually don't get nervous but at staging & at the gate I usually talk to whoever is around me... It's always fun meeting new people plus everyone is there for the same reason,to have fun!

I used to start freaking out the night before and couldn't sleep. Pit in the gut all morning. I noticed every ambulance and grave yard along the way. It escalated all the way to the gate until it droped, then it's gone in an instant. The older I get the more I realize it's all an illusion. It seems like the whole world is watching. It turns out nobody is really watching. Even at the pro level does anyone remember who finished 10th at Anaheim 2 last year? Best you can do is train for everything that happens after the gate drops and enjoy the greatest sport on earth.

I don't remember who won.....lol

Breakfast of champions, Egg Muffin, and medium coffee. Always like to get there early, and walk around. At Hare scrambles its nice to walk the first couple of turns. Running late is the worst!

I like to roll up slowly to the gate and eye all competitors down revving the bike slightly to let everyone know I am a force to be dealt with and I'm here to win. Confidence is key. Damon Bradshaw at one time could intimidate King kong.
Racing = 80 mental and 20 percent physical. Just my opinion we are all different.

I like to nudge elbows when the card turns to a 1...only at regionals though. No need for that nonsense at local races....

Back