GoPro to Go Public

mshafer62

PR Addict
From today's NY Times
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/07/gopro-to-go-public/?nl=business&emc=edit_dlbkpm_20140207

Updated, 11:32 a.m. |
GoPro, the video camera maker favored by extreme athletes and everyday adventurers, said on Friday that it planned to go public.

Based in San Mateo, Calif., GoPro is one of a number of technology companies that are expected to test the public markets this year, following a string of successful offerings from Silicon Valley companies. And GoPro becomes the latest company to file for a “secret” I.P.O., joining the ranks of the cloud storage company Box, which began the process last month, and Twitter, which also filed for a confidential I.P.O., allowing the company to keep much of its operating information out of the public eye until shortly before shares begin to trade.
JPMorgan is a lead banker on the offering, according people briefed on the matter. JPMorgan declined to comment.

GoPro announced its plans in a brief statement:
SAN MATEO, Calif., Feb. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — GoPro, Inc. announced today that it plans to conduct a registered initial public offering of its common stock. The offering is expected to commence after the SEC completes the review process initiated by GoPro’s confidential submission on Friday February 7, 2014 of its draft registration statement.
This announcement is being made pursuant to and in accordance with Rule 135 under the Securities Act of 1933. As required by Rule 135, this press release does not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy securities, and shall not constitute an offer, solicitation or sale in any jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation or sale would be unlawful prior to registration or qualification under the securities laws of that jurisdiction.

From today's NY Times
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/07/gopro-to-go-public/?nl=business&emc=edit_dlbkpm_20140207

Updated, 11:32 a.m. |
GoPro, the video camera maker favored by extreme athletes and everyday adventurers, said on Friday that it planned to go public.
Based in San Mateo, Calif., GoPro is one of a number of technology companies that are expected to test the public markets this year, following a string of successful offerings from Silicon Valley companies. And GoPro becomes the latest company to file for a “secret” I.P.O., joining the ranks of the cloud storage company Box, which began the process last month, and Twitter, which also filed for a confidential I.P.O., allowing the company to keep much of its operating information out of the public eye until shortly before shares begin to trade.
JPMorgan is a lead banker on the offering, according people briefed on the matter. JPMorgan declined to comment.

GoPro announced its plans in a brief statement:

SAN MATEO, Calif., Feb. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — GoPro, Inc. announced today that it plans to conduct a registered initial public offering of its common stock. The offering is expected to commence after the SEC completes the review process initiated by GoPro’s confidential submission on Friday February 7, 2014 of its draft registration statement.
This announcement is being made pursuant to and in accordance with Rule 135 under the Securities Act of 1933. As required by Rule 135, this press release does not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy securities, and shall not constitute an offer, solicitation or sale in any jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation or sale would be unlawful prior to registration or qualification under the securities laws of that jurisdiction.

For the investors out there, a bargain buy, or a bust? ( especially those of us that use the product )

GoPro Inc
NASDAQ: GPRO - Feb 4 1:20 PM EST

$9.82 US down 0.89 (8.31%)

Nightly Business report Transcript: (weds Feb 3)

HERERA: GoPro swings to a fourth-quarter loss and issues a disappointing
revenue forecast.
The action camera maker lost 8 cents a share. Analysts
were looking for a break-even quarter. Revenue also fell short at $437
million, that`s a decline of 31 percent from year ago.
The result sent
shares lower after initially rising in after-hours trading.

But as Josh Lipton reports the real focus is whether the company has a
strategy of being more than just a camera maker.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

JOSH LIPTON, NIGHTLY BUSINESS REPORT CORRESPONDENT: GoPro was a Wall
Street darling when the company went public in summer of 2014, investors
bid up the stock to nearly $100 that fall,
but since then it`s suffered a
wild ride, just like one of the company`s famous action-packed videos.

GoPro`s big mistake, last year it introduced its newest camera, Hero 4
Session. GoPro billed the camera as its smallest and lightest camera to
date, but the company grossly mispriced the product. The original price of
$400 was slashed twice down to $200. On top of that, GoPro`s CEO Nick
Woodman says the company made a mistake by not dedicating enough resources
to its marketing efforts. Add it up and GoPro suffered a disappointing
holiday season leading to layoffs at the company and a stock that dropped
to $10.

So what can Woodman do now to turn around this company? Analysts say it
starts with a new camera that needs to boast exciting innovative features.

CHARLIE ANDERSON, DOUGHERTY & COMPANY: There are a number of cameras we`re
seeing that are starting to only out, Nikon had one that can capture in 360
degrees. So, the idea is a GoPro camera today captures at 180 degrees, but
you`d love to look at the full sphere around you, and that would be
something that you could use that video, and like a VR headsets, you could
fan around and see the video from all sides, share it on social media,
people could pan around 360 degree video. I think that`s where the cameras
are headed in the future.

LIPTON: Analysts say GoPro also has do upgrade its software, making it
easier for users to edit and share content. There are also new products on
the way that need to be a hit.

ANDERSON: First out of the gate would be the drone they`re calling Karma
that`s supposed to debut in the first half of 2016. So it would be their
first effort in a quadcopter drone. It`s a big market already. DJI is the
market leader. It`s over $1 billion. They`re a popular holiday gift.

So, you know, GoPro is the brand, they have the distribution, a lot of the
drones that people have used historically use a GoPro camera built that
they attach into it, so they already have some mind share in the category.

So, as long as they get that product right, I think they will have an
audience.

LIPTON: Even bulls like Anderson though say it`s fair to ask whether it`s
just too little, too late for GoPro after such a tough year winning back
credibility with investors won`t be easy, but the start of a rebound, if
there`s going to be one, begins now.

==============================================================

GoPro defiantly ‘doubling down’ despite dismal performance
New Hero5 camera and software planned after earnings and forecast miss

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gopro-defiantly-doubling-down-despite-dismal-performance-2016-02-03

Tough bite. Didnt see this coming but I dont follow much technology. Although i have seen a shitload of new action cams. IMO they should have went public a few years ago and just bought everything up before anyone knew what it was. They gave the market to long to develop.

That is an interesting question.

Right after IPO GPRO had a lot of momentum with:

Positive analyst comments and cult like investor following (a little like TSLA)

2014 was a strong year for IPOs and tech sector

Endless analyst talk about GPRO being much more than a hardware company because of all the video content and how they would make money (monetize) on content

Proprietary technology that is very difficult to duplicate

The above has not all panned out.

I thought about buying some on this new low, have not pulled the trigger, and don't see a lot of good reasons for it to go substantially higher.

Seems like they might be a takeover candidate at this price - if that happens stock will likely jump on the news.

Last edited:
I usually buy (high anticipation) stocks like this as soon as I can after there is a dip in the initial IPO price surge (that pullback happens most of the time).

GPROs stock price is down 85% from its previous 12 month high.

You might need professional investor or stock analyst advice to call it. ?
Even behemoth companies like Apple have product line struggles and even with a great plan, world economic timing effects can wreck it.

At least they actually have a good marketable product, in a wide open barely tapped field, unlike internet companies like Yahoo, Facebook and the likes.

For what its worth I personally wouldnt chase go pro down here, unless you really enjoy risk and time is on your side(tho its def at an all time low). Personally I think they lost their competitive advantage already. To many in this space, got the 360 Cameras on the way. I have 2 GoPros that sit, mainly because they are outdated, and I'm not spending another 400 for the next one.

Someone might try to try to use phones as a comparison in terms of cycle times and replacments. Well that falls short in my mind bc all the gopro does is record. Most people aren't going to upgrade a 400 dollar camera every other year. It does 1 thing. Record video.

I do see the media aspect as a possible catalyst, but not anytime soon, seems to early to tell on the media side. Just my 2 cents!

Again, tough call. All of these companies are in a technology race. You're on top today, next week, could be on the bottom.
From an investors standpoint I think you have to babysit these equities very closely.

It would be good to see GoPro remain the leader in the field and product line. They've certainly given a lot to our sport.

For what its worth I personally wouldnt chase go pro down here, unless you really enjoy risk and time is on your side(tho its def at an all time low). Personally I think they lost their competitive advantage already. To many in this space, got the 360 Cameras on the way. I have 2 GoPros that sit, mainly because they are outdated, and I'm not spending another 400 for the next one.

Someone might try to try to use phones as a comparison in terms of cycle times and replacments. Well that falls short in my mind bc all the gopro does is record. Most people aren't going to upgrade a 400 dollar camera every other year. It does 1 thing. Record video.

I do see the media aspect as a possible catalyst, but not anytime soon, seems to early to tell on the media side. Just my 2 cents!

Well said, I am with you on this. I am not buying and see no reason for the stock to rebound unless it there is acquisition. I am not hearing any analysts or activists call for a GPRO acquisition.

Take a look at Linked In and this video - http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000491967

Back