2003 YZ125 transmission cannot find neutral

Avster556

PR Member
I was at my buddy's last night riding in the snow and he shifted from first to second and the bike stalled. He pulled in the clutch and started it back up. We don't know if it was in first or second when he started it. But he tried to go and the rear wheel wasn't moving like something in the transmission was stuck. Then he shifted down one and it went. He took it on the road and shifted up one and the rear wheel skidded on the road and stalled. We could not find neutral so we pulled in the clutch and pushed it into the garage and put it on the stand and could not find neutral.

It was 9 degrees out. Do you think the cold played a factor?

What is up??????

I'd bet the shift follower has bent or come unscrewed from the shift drum. COLD is not a factor. Time to get your hands dirty and find out what happened!

Good news is we have enough snow on the ground. That means you ahve time to pull the motor and split cases AND put it all back together.

Shift fork, or there is a shifting Pin in there that might have come out also. I had that happen one time, and had to split the cases to get it.

Back