Snow Riding

If I were you, I'd just make sure the engine is excellent and then riding, watch out for ice though. Engines can put up with all the cold because they are already in the garage being cold.

depending on how cold it is and how much snow you are riding in the radiators can be blocked off to get the engine up to proper temps. snowbikes and ice racing they put cardboard or tape over the radiator louvers. make sure to lube your chain really good before and after as it is basically running in water or ice and will rust up quickly. like other poster said if you hae a 2 stroke or carbureted bike the jetting should be adjusted for tempurature and altitude. if the bike is fuel injected it will adjust by itself but requires longer warm up times. i also use a thinner oil to make it easier to start my bike when cold. 5w-40 vs 10w-50 normally in summer.

If I were you, I'd just make sure the engine is excellent and then riding, watch out for ice though. Engines can put up with all the cold because they are already in the garage being cold.

Joe, if the bike is too cold sitting in the garage and then you start it the sudden heat change could crack the casings.

For many years I rode every weekend through the winter no matter temps or snow.

My routine....get the bike fired up. Warm it for a few minutes. Ride as usual. Finish your ride, load up and go home. Wash and maintain bike as usual.

Never had an issue.

My fuel injected bike with FMF exhaust and twin air filter was running way lean in the 30deg. range. It would not compensate enough for the extra air flow and colder temps.

Back