Braking refresh: Pad compounds??, etc.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
So, I plan to try and refresh the braking on my KX. More so just the front, but I'll throw some pads on back. I know the KX cable routing and mechinism always seemed inferior to others, but it's what I got. I'll have to make due. Just trying to reduce effort and arm pump here. I seemed to be OK last fall with arm pump, but know due to the lay off I am going to have to work through that again and I felt the braking up front needed some attention anyway...

For a brake pad compund, what's the best to use for certain conditions and overall? What does each compund do well at and not so good at? Reason I am asking is I am looking to refresh the braking system upfront on my Kawi. Thinking master cylinder rebuild kit, stainless steel line, and of course some new pads. I suppose I should maybe be thinking rotor to finish it off, but wasn't planning on going there right now... as for the rear, I'd like to put a long wearing, low heat soution. Thinking carbon pads?

On the pads, I know there are some that wear very fast in the wet. In looking I was thinking those were the carbon pads, but now recall it was the organic pads right? The organic pads worked well I am thinking in dry conditions, but wet the wore out very fast. There's sintered metal, semi-metallic, and carbon. All that have different properties in terms of heat, agressiveness, and something I am not certain about is wear (of the pad and rotor).

Thoughts?

Metal brake line , oversized rotor to reduce the effort. It will feel like a different bike!

As for pads I have had the best luck with OEM ones. EBC and the like seem to wear faster or eat the rotor up in my experience. The cintered metal ones dont brake as well and seem to be the worst at chewing up the rotors.

Buy a heavy pair of boots. Drag your boots in all corners. LOL

Heck, I do that already unintentionally. 'Tis why I am squid slow... ;)

Hmm, thanks on the OEM suggestion. I would have never thought about going there. What compound are they? Can you get an OEM type aftermarket set? ;) Just thinking of the typical $10 for a $0.03 bolt sinerio with OEM parts. Don't get me wrong, I haven't an issue with paying for the good stuff. It's my bank account that doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Yeah I know, then what the hell am I in this sport for...the answer to that my friends...I do not know...

sintered or oem pads are the best. using ebc nomenclature as an example, the mxs are sintered pads which are best for all around riding in wet and dry conditions but wear discs quicker than other types of pads and can create more heat, organic are best for dry conditions and wear quickly but offer good stopping power and less wear to discs and slightly less heat than sintered, carbon x pads are also for dry conditions where heat is a problem, they block the most heat to the brake system, but wear quicker than sintered pads but not as fast as organic pads. i always use oem or the ebc mxs replacement pads. if you only ride in dry conditions and drag your brake then use the red ebc carbon x pads. i wouldnt even consider organic pads an option for moto or offroad. if your oem pads came with the heat insulators you must reuse them unless the new pads come with them or dont call for them.

for your "long wearing low heat solution" carbon pads will be the best for you. if you do not drag your brake or ride in mud or water that is. if your rear rotor is not blue or purple then you dont drag your brake enough to benefit from carbon pads.

sintered or oem pads are the best. using ebc nomenclature as an example, the mxs are sintered pads which are best for all around riding in wet and dry conditions but wear discs quicker than other types of pads and can create more heat, organic are best for dry conditions and wear quickly but offer good stopping power and less wear to discs and slightly less heat than sintered, carbon x pads are also for dry conditions where heat is a problem, they block the most heat to the brake system, but wear quicker than sintered pads but not as fast as organic pads. i always use oem or the ebc mxs replacement pads. if you only ride in dry conditions and drag your brake then use the red ebc carbon x pads. i wouldnt even consider organic pads an option for moto or offroad. if your oem pads came with the heat insulators you must reuse them unless the new pads come with them or dont call for them.

for your "long wearing low heat solution" carbon pads will be the best for you. if you do not drag your brake or ride in mud or water that is. if your rear rotor is not blue or purple then you dont drag your brake enough to benefit from carbon pads.

Thanks. I'm thinking different compound for rear vs. front. I do drag the rear. Need less heat producing back there....carbon will work there, Front thinking about going rebuild kit, rotor, and organic pads....maybe sintered...

if your bike is older than two years, or you havent changed the fluid in the past you should disassemble the calipers and replace the piston seals and clean the seal grooves out. they fill with dirt and brake fluid grunge. also lube the slider pins and tensioning clips with silicone grease. everything will work like new again!

if your bike is older than two years, or you havent changed the fluid in the past you should disassemble the calipers and replace the piston seals and clean the seal grooves out. they fill with dirt and brake fluid grunge. also lube the slider pins and tensioning clips with silicone grease. everything will work like new again!

I'll definately need to do that. I didn't know about rebuilding the master cylinder until after I saw the kit on RMATVMC. Suppose for the piston seals I'll need to go OEM of which may be the way to go anyway? Any special tools needed?

I know "they" always said the routing of the Kawi front brake being looped under the caliper vs. like Honda's direct routing hurt the brake performance as well. Would be nice to have a front brake that I do not need to sqeeze so hard.

Thanks for the info all... :)

Back