Daytona-lap-times-cut-20-seconds-per-lap

I saw that last week on FB. BS!

That was one of the things that made Daytona SX unique.

Knox bash on que in 3....2....1

Could not agree anymore! RC said it was to keep the races close and for better racing. I call BS. I say it is so the live TV is 3 hours and not 4 hours. Although someone pointed out that a few years ago the one track design had 56 second lap times. Not sure if that is fact or not. I like the long tracks at Daytona.

Could not agree anymore! RC said it was to keep the races close and for better racing. I call BS. I say it is so the live TV is 3 hours and not 4 hours. Although someone pointed out that a few years ago the one track design had 56 second lap times. Not sure if that is fact or not. I like the long tracks at Daytona.

DC over on Vital said it was for live TV coverage.

Then how come they never shortened it before??? Its been live for years. I say its for the tv coverage for sure but its eating into commercial time and that means $ lost in advertising!

TV demands so much for live coverage it is inevitable. A few years ago NHRA went to 1000' instead of the traditional 1/4 mile and sited safety concerns as the main focus. When we followed the circuit closely back when, I talked with some of the insiders about this. They said the decision was more for live telivision coverage than just safety concerns. Most oil downs due to engine explosions were occuring after the 1000' mark thus creating a lengthly clean-up time, not good for live tv. Now there are penalties for oil downs, restricted Nitromethane limits and overall engine restrictions. It has helped with tv contracts but lost traditionalist fans like myself. I personally think the tv coverage sucks for supercross. They need to show less in the booth, less interviews with the riders or at least teach them how to speak when racing is not happening. They need to get more technical with the coverage. Show us some more trick stuff with the bikes and pits. Show us a couple snips of the track building and or decisions going into the design. I don't think shortening the laps is for a time consideration for live tv as it is much more for creating more excitement on a lap by lap basis. They want the excitement of Arenacross on a bigger stage. Supercross is for the fans not the racers. Vince Mcmahon of WWE should handle the coverage. We need some personalaties on the mic. We need some "Macho Man" Randy Savage talking how he's gonna beat down Mike "babyface" Allessi. Oooh Yeah!

Then how come they never shortened it before??? Its been live for years. I say its for the tv coverage for sure but its eating into commercial time and that means $ lost in advertising!

In years past The Nashville Network (carried only Daytona), Speed, and others carried just Daytona, and some of the other races were on other networks. Fox Sports has all the SX races this year, and they must have said no on 4 hours. I would have said then show it tape delay, and show highlights of the semis and LCQs......but keep the track longer.

Bike week sucks now in general, the daytona SX race as epic and legendary as it is, is the worst race to spectate at. they did away with the flat track at new symrna, moved the gncc to a damn 4x4 mud pit this year and the alligator enduro is s**t. they dont race liter bikes in the 200 anymore and screw all that traffic and wanna be *******s on cruiser bikes. ive been to bike week at least 20x and just plain sick of it. the last time i went was 3 or 4 years ago. i can see the allure for yall after this winter but still it has gone way downhill from the 90s and before. no more titties flying or cabbage patch orgies, its just lawers and doctors with chrome fetishes and bandana collections.

This is what DC said on Vital:

Yes, it's live-TV's call , and it bucks tradition, but having it on live TV with a limited window is worth the trim, compared to not showing until next week.

Guys, the "sudden change" came when SPEED disappeared. Remember, the all-motorsports network is gone. That's why lap times didn't matter so much before.

That was a Hall of Fame rant Derek!

I might as well beat Knox to it -- the cut in lap times is clearly the AMA's fault.

Bike week sucks now in general, the daytona SX race as epic and legendary as it is, is the worst race to spectate at. they did away with the flat track at new symrna, moved the gncc to a damn 4x4 mud pit this year and the alligator enduro is s**t. they dont race liter bikes in the 200 anymore and screw all that traffic and wanna be *******s on cruiser bikes. ive been to bike week at least 20x and just plain sick of it. the last time i went was 3 or 4 years ago. i can see the allure for yall after this winter but still it has gone way downhill from the 90s and before. no more titties flying or cabbage patch orgies, its just lawers and doctors with chrome fetishes and bandana collections.

I've gone since a kid, and haven't missed a year since '94. I also go every year for Biketoberfest. You can have your opinion, but bikeweek is still a GREAT week if your into motorcycling. No matter what form of riding your into, you can find it. Not sure you ever went to the flat track, but the National short track was never in New Symrna, it as out past the speedway at Municipal Stadium.....the other direction from NSB. Only thing I ever remember in racing wise in NSB was the supermoto a couple times at NSB Speedway (where Henry got hurt). The flat track races are still great races, and the 200 is still the most prestigious road race outside of Moto GP in the United States.

If you want Boobs, I can show you plenty of places where those are still too. And yes, the Cabbage Patch is still a hell hole. So nothing has changed there either. Traffic........Traffic sucks. But just come with me, and I am pretty damn good and getting around Daytona with missing a ton of traffic.

Bike Week is a blast for me, not sure what your looking for.

I would have said then show it tape delay, and show highlights of the semis and LCQs......but keep the track longer.

Couldn't disagree more. You having issues staying up until 10:30 or so John?.... ;)

Yes, it's live-TV's call , and it bucks tradition, but having it on live TV with a limited window is worth the trim, compared to not showing until next week.

Guys, the "sudden change" came when SPEED disappeared. Remember, the all-motorsports network is gone. That's why lap times didn't matter so much before.

Agree.

...not sure what your looking for.

Now you're sort of seeing my point, but only since something you still think is great is being attacked. I'm sure it isn't as good or off the hook as it used to be, but you can find problems with anything. It is what it is. We just have to deal with the punches. Change in inevitable. Just as you have done with the Bike week rant, take the good with the bad and just be glad we still have it... Besides, it's just an opinion or different view than yours. Doesn't mean it's true for everyone...obviously. :)

I'm not really that against cutting the lap time some. I think all SX tracks should be 55 to 65 seconds. The soil alone is enough to make Daytona stand out. Make it rough and challenging with different opinions and it will not mater what the lap time is

If you want Boobs, I can show you plenty of places where those are still too. And yes, the Cabbage Patch is still a hell hole. So nothing has changed there either. Traffic........Traffic sucks. But just come with me, and I am pretty damn good and getting around Daytona with missing a ton of traffic.

Bike Week is a blast for me, not sure what your looking for.

im just looking for the good times we used to have back in the 90s and early 2000s before bike week became like the worlds fair for RUBs. I grew up 3 hours from from daytona in st pete and been there since i was kid also. just too many good memories and now everytime i have gone in the past few years it is lame. i still tell people if you havent been to go, its still a sight to see 100,000 bikes.

For just riding the Harley having a great time........I much prefer Biketoberfest these days myself. I love going in October.

I'm not really that against cutting the lap time some. I think all SX tracks should be 55 to 65 seconds. The soil alone is enough to make Daytona stand out. Make it rough and challenging with different opinions and it will not mater what the lap time is

Man, you're on a roll here buddy. I agree. ;)

im just looking for the good times we used to have back in the 90s and early ...

Change does suck sometimes, but just have to make new fun. Well, you don't have to. Guess you can stay home... ;)

Prediction: All outdoor national will be 5 laps first moto, 4 laps second moto. Unless it rains or threatens to rain...then it will be a: single six lap moto. It will be better for TV as they can cover both classes in just under 18 minutes of air-time and better for the fans because Alessi will be on the podium again because he hangs it out for about 6 laps then fades. And since Alessi is the new J-Law all the MMA viewers will be immensely interested. Can you say energy bar sales will be up next summer? Buy your stocks now. Stamp it.

...ok that may be a stretch, but seriously energy bar stocks are going through the roof....the ones with cannabis in 'em.

Back