Broken Collarbone Healing Up

JTKMX

Noob
Broke my collarbone at Ram Jam on January 27th. 5 weeks post, I am starting to turn the corner. I am starting to miss being on the bike and hope I can start riding in a few weeks.

This has been rougher than I thought. It was a lot more painful for a longer period of time than I would have imagined. I've never broken a bone before and I am not really sure what to expect in terms of durability of the healed area. I hope this doesn't mean that I am becoming fragile in my old age.

New strategy, don't crash anymore!

You will be fine I broke mine a few years ago at Hershey's track. I can't even tell it was ever broke.

New strategy, don't crash anymore!

Good luck! I haven't been able to accomplish that although I have been able to no dump it so often in the last couple of years (not racing as much either though)... Key is to do a better job at knowing your limits and when not to take that chance... ;)

This has been rougher than I thought. It was a lot more painful for a longer period of time than I would have imagined. I've never broken a bone before and I am not really sure what to expect in terms of durability of the healed area. I hope this doesn't mean that I am becoming fragile in my old age.

You will be fine I broke mine a few years ago at Hershey's track. I can't even tell it was ever broke.

Yeah, this may sound strange, but continue to break bones (fracture them) and stay away from tearing/damaging soft tissue (muscles, ligaments, etc.). Typical bone you'll be told 6-8 weeks to heal (you just picked a bad one to start with. I've never fractured that one that I know of. Stay away from breaking the femur though...), but soft tissue takes for freaking ever!!!!

Not that if you had a choice you'd injury yourself at all. I never have tried, it just happens... ;)

haha i guess. one side has pins and screws..it was only broke once (in many places) but I made it count. The other snapped 3 times, several years apart.

haha i guess. one side has pins and screws..it was only broke once (in many places) but I made it count. The other snapped 3 times, several years apart.

Just messin' with ya. ;) You need to take some calcium supplements and/or learn to tuck and roll better. LOL. I'm thinking I might have fractured mine a little back in the day as a kid riding my 3 wheeler and caught a tree square in my collar bone. Broke another kids at school playing tackle football at lunch. They sound painful, of course I haven't had a broken bone that wasn't, but some are definately worse than others. Hate the word "snapped" when talking about bone breaks...gives me the heebie geebie's. Well that and makes me think of my femur snapping a few years back.

Broken bones suck. A lot of use are held together with screws and such. We're all infected with the sickness in that they do not stop us from coming back. You all know that, right? Just accept it and life will be easier. :)

Oh, heal up Josh. Maybe see you out there this year.... ;)

No tuck and rolling here. Lost the front end going about 5mph and hit the frozen ground just the wrong way. I even had an underprotector on with shoulder cups and it didn't help. Real squid crash. I've hit the ground a lot harder before and only been bruised and concussed.

Collarbone was by far the most painful I broke. Plate and 6 screws. Never had a problem since. Two weeks after surgery I was water skiing. Of course I was 15 then. But it will get better and you won't realize it was ever broke.

And how do you have time to attempt a tuck and roll ? I'm always too occupied just trying to save the wreck or I'm on the ground before I knew I was going down. . . ????

And how do you have time to attempt a tuck and roll ? I'm always too occupied just trying to save the wreck or I'm on the ground before I knew I was going down. . . ????

Not sure. Actually not something I think about. Just seems for some reason I can typically tuck my shoulders in and roll with the ground. This not a move that bails me out 100% of the time. When I busted by sternum in half (another pretty painful dealio. I'd avoid it) there was no tuck and roll, just zip and SLAM! followed by a severe (felt sever anywho) gasp/wease for air in my lungs since the their wasn't any in them...

I guess I tend to give up early on a crash as well. Although I save it sometimes, just feel I'd rather somehow prepare for the hit vs. trying to save it, make it worse, and hit harder. Just me maybe...

OK, my bones and joints are hurting now. Let's stop talking about this. Sure, could be the cold weather and arthritis, but either way they are hurting... ;)

Broke my femur twice, best advice I can give, stay away from the ground.. Femur is no joke, my broke his coller bone, looked painful.. I was in a wheel chair for 4 months

Back