Pro Circuit Kawasaki's bike issues??

Scoob

PR Founding Father
So what's the dealio? Never really investigated Deano's issue in Oakland, but more than likely wouldn't have found anything anyway. I would be certain Mitch is pretty tight lipped about it. Thought just a fluke at first and thought nothing more about it, but now with AC's problem last night... ??? That would have to be in the back of your mind. Just forntunate that it hasn't happened in a critical spot and no one has gotten hurt. Are they trying to mod and get too much out of those bikes? It would seem to me as a ignition issue. Rev limiter? Anyone have any idea?

Just curious...

Forgot about that. Watching Heats again as I was in the local Bar & Grill watching with no sound...

Must be those China knock-off ignition boxes........always trying to save a buck!

(I have no proof that they're using junk ignition boxes, just letting off some sarcasm.)

But really that's odd that it happened to two different PC bikes. Wiring must be jank. Or something........? You'd think that would be fixed by now. They couldn't replicate it on a dyno after Wilson had issues a few weeks ago. Now they have to see that it can happen again and wasn't just a fluke.

Yeah, it's like the ignition is being set to far advanced and there's some sensor that knows the bike is in the lead and it retards or something...

No, not a technical reason. Just thowing limited knowledge out there and attemping to be funny. I'll stop. Well, for a few minutes.. ;)

I know those motors are only designed to last 50 laps. But if its the motor how do you blow an engine and ride it to finish 5th in the heat or 2nd in a main?

When is the last time you fouled a plug on a 4 stroke? Wait....never you gotta put more than 3 hours on the motor and even then I've put 90 hours on a motor with the same plug in the 4 stroke. . .not likely

It's a conspiracy....someone has cracked IP address, username and password for the ignition. Before the firewall, anti-spam and AV can block them out it puts a low rev-limit on the ignition. Thanks Obama! =-)

Just like Jeff hitting his bro with a lazer in order to make him crash in front of James and take out his header.

When is the last time you fouled a plug on a 4 stroke? Wait....never you gotta put more than 3 hours on the motor and even then I've put 90 hours on a motor with the same plug in the 4 stroke. . .not likely

1999, brand new YZ400F...so it was 15 years ago.

I agree. With fuel injection even less likely. With a brand new plug (I assume) every race, even less likely, but with the excessive fuel, etc., etc. they are throwing in there, who nows? Like you said, they aren't planning on those motors making it all that far. Maybe it was the practice motor by mistake as it was mismarked in the Pro Circuit rig as "New Race Motor". Good help is hard to find these days...

Probably nothing. Just a DF (Double Fluke)...

What kind of fuel they use? Guy next to me at Daytona had a band new YZ 125 go.......said there was a bad batch of fuel going around, thought his batch was good......not so much. Think he said it was Renegade fuel maybe??

Im thinking its a head issue. Maybe cracked head or valve guide. Something along those lines.

We will NEVER know the real story though.

My plug in my bike is three years old. lol

I agree. With fuel injection even less likely. With a brand new plug (I assume) every race, even less likely, but with the excessive fuel, etc., etc. they are throwing in there, who nows? Like you said, they aren't planning on those motors making it all that far. Maybe it was the practice motor by mistake as it was mismarked in the Pro Circuit rig as "New Race Motor". Good help is hard to find these days...

Probably nothing. Just a DF (Double Fluke)...

I'm pretty sure they run the same motors all day from practice to gate drop. Unless it grenades....

With the computers on these bikes I would say Mitch has them programed to go to survival mode if they are ready to grenade. Its better to look like something electrical or fuel wise is going bad then to see smoke and a seized bike on the side of the track.

Is it possible for the computer to detect a pre-grenade in a race engine. If that's the case nobody in NASCAR would get pushed behind the wall you'd think. Interesting theory to think about though. I wonder what really goes into these bikes...

Is it possible for the computer to detect a pre-grenade in a race engine. If that's the case nobody in NASCAR would get pushed behind the wall you'd think. Interesting theory to think about though. I wonder what really goes into these bikes...

The computer can detect predetonation ( pinging or knocking to some ) if set up properly in cars and dirt bikes. but that will only save an engine from being too lean for what ever reason. It wont detect mechanical issues.

I'm pretty sure they run the same motors all day from practice to gate drop. Unless it grenades....

your correct. The total time for the day on one engine is just about 1 hour of run time, give or take a few mins. for warm up.

Most likely their problem is the same as most every other ghost problem, electrical. The connections and pin fit are extremely critical. When you have computers relying on millivolts of change through one sensor to update the current map in milliseconds the slightest resistance change through a connector can wreak havoc on map selection.

That translates to: Just washed the bike, did pre-race prep., left a little water in the coolant temp. sensor connector, the resistance went up, the ECU thinks the engine is over heating, changes maps to limp home mode by retarding the timing and fuel curve.

Obviously just a guess, but that is how that kind of stuff can happen and with out a data storage device on board they will never know what really happened. I bet they will find a way to start recording all the data that the ECU sees on every ride.

We will NEVER know the real story though.

Nope...

With the computers on these bikes I would say Mitch has them programed to go to survival mode if they are ready to grenade. Its better to look like something electrical or fuel wise is going bad then to see smoke and a seized bike on the side of the track.

Probably safer too. Was my thought on this post as if that gives out/goes into survival mode on the face of a triple, etc.

Back