SX payout

think of the cost of bikes, traveling etc.

If you are paying for parts and bikes at that level, then you should invest in a marketing class at the local community college, it would probably pay for itself. I'm sure most are paying for some of it, but if idiots like us can strike up deals at cost, then you would think the supercross racing stars could do better.

Very interesting. Cool to finally know the facts. I guess I am a little surprised that the 5th best SX rider in the country/world (in this case for 2013, it was Chad Reed 5th in the final points for the 450 class) only made $67k paid from the events. I know Chad has so many other things going on in his race program that pays his salary, but after the top 3, the $ payout drops like a rock.

But on the other hand, someone like Jimmy Albertson, who is probably getting all his expenses covered, and is riding all the races, making all the mains, probably at the end of the year is making $80,000+ riding his motorcycle. Not that it should not be more if your in every main.......but it is not the little bit that some are lead to believe.

Average attendance at a Supercross race is over 40,000. Average price per ticket is north of $35. That is $1,400,000 and the guys putting on the show get less then 100K.... How much money you think is getting kicked in from Monster and every other sponsor you see on the Tuff blox? The pay back is and always has been a JOKE.

The breakdown of Villipotos pay is ridiculous. He made $251,540 from the purse... The other 2 MILLION came from Kawasaki.
250K for a champion is laughable if it were not so sad.

The breakdown of Villipotos pay is ridiculous. He made $251,540 from the purse... The other 2 MILLION came from Kawasaki.
250K for a champion is laughable if it were not so sad.

You read that wrong. "His total winnings for the 2013 Supercross series were $2,251,540. That does not count his multi-million dollar Kawasaki salary or aftermarket sponsorship deals." So $2 - 1/4 million in purse and bonus.

Last time I was in the loop was a while ago, Ryno was still racing, but if you made the SX main
msot events and weren't a total dork on the marketing side, you made $200k a year in your
pocket. Not bad for a kid racing a motorcycle.

No I read it correct. the 100K bonus per win comes from Kawasaki. The 1 mil bonus for the championship also came from Kaw. That is NOT purse money or championship money from the series.
Yes he made A LOT more from is contracts from Kaw and the other 500 sponsors but I am only talking about the money from the series.

Ken Feld is a billionaire and the men that put on his shows are not being properly compensated PERIOD

Very interesting. Cool to finally know the facts. I guess I am a little surprised that the 5th best SX rider in the country/world (in this case for 2013, it was Chad Reed 5th in the final points for the 450 class) only made $67k paid from the events. I know Chad has so many other things going on in his race program that pays his salary, but after the top 3, the $ payout drops like a rock.

With no health insurance to boot.......they're still getting hosed.

If these guys lining up behind the gate were throwing a basketball at a hoop they would just have a lock out and demand to be paid more.

If they want to continue to pay them terribly, at least give them the opportunity for an education after racing. Feld could also provide health insurance coverage for these guys. I'm sure that wouldn't be cheap, but for what these guys are putting their bodies at risk for they need some type of coverage. The guy getting 20th at every event in the night show is taking a grave risk for serious work-related injury. And if it happens, there will be no compensation. He will be ruined forever.

Ken Feld is a billionaire and the men that put on his shows are not being properly compensated PERIOD

Sure, but how do you think he became a billionare? I can tell you this, it wasn't due to giving everyone what they feel they "deserve". Just the least amount that would make them "happy". It's called business. Fair or not, it is what it is. Do you feel your boss or company owner is paying you all he should be? I doubt it...

With no health insurance to boot.......they're still getting hosed.

If these guys lining up behind the gate were throwing a basketball at a hoop they would just have a lock out and demand to be paid more.

If they want to continue to pay them terribly, at least give them the opportunity for an education after racing. Feld could also provide health insurance coverage for these guys. I'm sure that wouldn't be cheap, but for what these guys are putting their bodies at risk for they need some type of coverage. The guy getting 20th at every event in the night show is taking a grave risk for serious work-related injury. And if it happens, there will be no compensation. He will be ruined forever.

Quit thinking worst case. I can gurantee you the riders are not thinking that way. Heck, I can gurantee you that those of us that actually ride are not thinking that way. If we were, well, we would not be riding.

You make some good points and yes, "it would be nice", but it isn't and won't be in the near. Good ideas, but let the world turn and quit trying to piss in all these riders Wheaties... ;)

Great job John for bringing some positive vibes (depending on who you are and how you think) to the forum... They are definately making more than milk money. Enough? How much is enough? The debate will go on forever...

Scoob.....

alex Mack just signed a 42 million dollar deal with one of the worst teams in football to snap the ball. 42 million over 5 years. It would take villo 20 years of domination to make what a ball and stick athlete makes in 5.

Now, compare that to what a ball player makes and although it is difficult to break into the field of PRO in any sport the chances are far greater for a ball player than a MX rider and is it any less dangerous or demanding?

Ever see what a NFL, NBA, or for that matter even a MLB or NHL TV package sells for? Plus all the merchandising? The teams paying their salaries all get a portion of the TV deals. In racing the teams do not get that. HUGE difference. Plus, they are mainstream sports. People buy jerseys and hats that don't even follow the teams but like the way they look.

The issue is the rider has no choice to accept the pay or not. They have ZERO voice in the determination of their compensation. When you accept a job, Im sure the first thing discussed is pay, then benefits and so on... With the riders it is, here is your pay, deal with it.
Its not a matter of deserve (event though they do deserve it) It needs to change.
Dealing with young, often uneducated guys

I think it's great pay for what they do. (and so do they, or they wouldn't do it) Nobody should complain. Go dig ditches or work in a chemical plant for way less than these kids make & compare the life of a rider, to that lifestyle.

They have it good, they're young and it's exciting and don't say for one second that you wouldn't trade places with them, because you'd be full of s**t.

I mean- the people that litter this board with nonsense day in and day out- they type about the sport for free. Think of the hours they put in... they must be underpaid. I say shut the board down until the daily posters get what's coming to them..

Scoob.....

alex Mack just signed a 42 million dollar deal with one of the worst teams in football to snap the ball. 42 million over 5 years. It would take villo 20 years of domination to make what a ball and stick athlete makes in 5.

You can't compare the NFL with MX!!!! Sure, we all think MX it tops, but we are NOT the majority. We DO NOT pull in the BIG bucks as compared to the top 3 pro sports. Com'on man. Your edumacated ain't ya? What's your degree in? Underwater Basket Weaving?? I get ya, but I don't....

Ever see what a NFL, NBA, or for that matter even a MLB or NHL TV package sells for? Plus all the merchandising? The teams paying their salaries all get a portion of the TV deals. In racing the teams do not get that. HUGE difference. Plus, they are mainstream sports. People buy jerseys and hats that don't even follow the teams but like the way they look.

Exactly. As bad@$$ as we think our sport is, most do not. We just do not have the big market share the big 3 have. Heck, most in our sport expects everything for free. They ain't gonna pay for it...hells to the no. ;)

I think it's great pay for what they do. (and so do they, or they wouldn't do it) Nobody should complain. Go dig ditches or work in a chemical plant for way less than these kids make & compare the life of a rider, to that lifestyle.

They have it good, they're young and it's exciting and don't say for one second that you wouldn't trade places with them, because you'd be full of s**t.

I mean- the people that litter this board with nonsense day in and day out- they type about the sport for free. Think of the hours they put in... they must be underpaid. I say shut the board down until the daily posters get what's coming to them..

Where you been?!?!?! I've been fighting this all alone. :)

It's all good. Although the boards seem to have a negative flavor these days, I can't say there aren't valid points. Well....all the time anywho...Next thread...

I post for fun. I can hold a ft job and post. Riders can't hold a full time job and race. So don't pay me. But certainly pay them.

No offense but your opinion (which your entitled to definitely) is spoken from the viewpoint of MX/SX as a hobby not a profession. That makes a BIG difference.

Back