Dem or Repub, She's worth listening to.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Rather you are a Republican or a Democrat, I think this one Senator has more fight for the middle class working American family than any other member of congress. People should forget Hillary Clinton and give this gal a listen.

If you've followed the politcal threads we've had on here, we've discussed when Bill Clinton and Congress repealed the Glass Steagal act which ultimately led to the financial collapse of 2008. There is now a big push to recreate the Bill and to get wall street back out of our banking system, and Elizabeth Warren has been the loudest voice on this. She's also highly educated in these matters which gives her somewhat of an authoritative Hammer to work with.

473px-Elizabeth_Warren--Official_113th_Congressional_Portrait--.jpg
WASHINGTON -- A bipartisan group of four senators that includes Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) introduced an updated version of the landmark Glass-Steagall Act on Thursday, aimed at reining in risk at America's largest Wall Street banks.
The legislation is unlikely to be signed into law, but underscores a deepening rift between the House and Senate over financial accountability. While bipartisan coalitions in the House have been moving legislation to deregulate swaps -- the complex financial products at the heart of the 2008 banking collapse -- a host of Senate bills cracking down on Wall Street risk have garnered Democratic and GOP support.
The new bill, which is also cosponsored by Sens. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) and Angus King (I-Maine), would require banks that accept federally insured deposits to focus on traditional lending and would bar them from engaging in risky securities trading. The separation between lending and trading was originally imposed in 1933 by the Glass-Steagall Act. Cantwell and McCain previously introduced the plan as an amendment to the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial reform bill, but the largely symbolic bill was never approved. The legislation introduced today would also bar banks that accept insured deposits from dealing swaps or operating hedge funds and private equity enterprises.
"Since core provisions of the Glass-Steagall Act were repealed in 1999, shattering the wall dividing commercial banks and investment banks, a culture of dangerous greed and excessive risk-taking has taken root in the banking world," McCain said in a written statement. "Big Wall Street institutions should be free to engage in transactions with significant risk, but not with federally insured deposits."
McCain voted for the 1999 Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which repealed Glass-Steagall. He also named one of that bill's authors, former Sen. Phil Gramm (R-Texas), an economic adviser to his 2008 presidential campaign.
Dodd-Frank attempted to rein in taxpayer-backed Wall Street speculation with the Volcker Rule, which barred banks that accept deposit insurance from placing securities and derivatives bets for their own accounts. But the Volcker Rule has not been finalized by regulators after nearly three years, and regulatory agencies have proposed a rule hundreds of pages long with a lengthy series of loopholes and exemptions. Forcing banks out of the securities business altogether would eliminate the regulatory wrangling over what types of trades violate the Volcker Rule.
Most federal regulators are opposed to reinstating Glass-Steagall, which would force big banks to spin off hundreds of billions of dollars worth of business into independent firms.
"Despite the progress we've made since 2008, the biggest banks continue to threaten the economy," Warren said in a written statement. "The four biggest banks are now 30 percent larger than they were just five years ago, and they have continued to engage in dangerous, high-risk practices that could once again put our economy at risk."
The legislation follows legislation from Sens. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) and David Vitter (R-La.) that would require big banks to hold significantly more capital as a cushion against losses, limiting the amount of debt-financed activity that banks could engage in. The bill would strongly encourage five of the six largest U.S. banks to break up into two or three smaller entities to avoid the strict new rules.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/11/glass-steagall-act-elizabeth-warren_n_3580967.html

As the article states, the Bill isn't likely to go anywhere. Too much corporate lobbyist opposition.
And coming from the Left, always cause for suspicion.

She actually caught my attention with her public advocacy views and government critcisms back in 2008 during the bailouts and about how scandalous it was. Before she got her Senate seat.

Call me gullible, just looking for a hero. And more than anything I'm so amazed of how pathetic our general public is to idolize Hillary.

I am scared to support anything John McCain is in favor of..........he lost his way along the way some where.

McCain is a douche, he needs to go away. We need term limits!! Unfortunately we as a country are too far gone to have any one person come in and fix everything. Not going to happen. Our current President has taken us on a downward spiral we can't get out of.

What was the story? She had bumped her noggin and couldn't testify? And when she did, her reelection first, party above all, totalitarian propaganda campaign continued. And fell apart, prompting a melt down...

And continues to fall apart today as the major media continues to ignore. No wonder as recent evidence shows media involvement in the campaign.

Yes, McCain was a lesser of two evils presidential candidate. He continues to be a destructive force in the Senate today.

Good post KO.
I saw the video clip on the news the day she testified. I recall the sensation and belittling feeling even I felt when she lashed back at the Panel. It was like, "WHO IN THE HELL DO YOU PISS ANTS THINK YOU ARE QUESTIONING ME ? I DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER TO YOU, AND I WON'T ! ! !
AND FOR THE RECORD "I AM UNTOUCHABLE " !!!!!!!

Also amazing while she was Secretary of State, the news was commenting that during her short term, she had traveled to over 100 countries, more than any other Secretary of State in history. Traveling as though she was some privileged rock star on World Tour.

I always thought highly of Condoleezza Rice when she served. She developed a high degree of credibility and respect, and professionalism.

Warren is a class act, one of the few, right now. Wait until 2016 when she's raising money for reelection to see if it's real.

I'm betting not since I can't recall a single person that went to DC and didn't fall for the money.

Don't expect Warren to venture from the Democratic reservation. The only elected officials in Washington bucking the status quo and their party are Republicans. They are recognized by the howls that they elicit from the Republican hierarchy and the Democrats, including the media.

Last edited:
She isn't up for reelection in 2016. She's up in 2018. She needs to start begging for money and sucking up to lobbyists in 2016 if she wants to have a chance of winning in 2018.

But that's only if there is a strong favorable candidate running against her at that time, right? If there isn't, she could very easily hold on to her Senate seat as long as she remains well veiwed by the general public and electorates of Massachusetts, with or without lobbyist backing?

Factor in that she is an ex-Republican, works well in bipartisan political issues, and is an intelligent "female" that doesn't trumpet her views like an idiot, (think Pelosi, Waters, Boxer, Clinton) gives me encouragement that she could make a difference if she isn't ganged up on and destroyed by those that fear or oppose her.

And again, she is the only person I have heard, or seen, who has openly spoke out on the outrageous financial dirty deeds, of big business, the banking system, and our congressional involvement against the working middle class families. And this was before getting elected to a Senate seat.

I'm just a sucker for the underdog taking a stand against the Good Ole Boy business/political establishment. Go Elizabeth! ( Pathetic, I know :) )

Last edited:
When politicians pick a fight with the "evil" on behalf of the middle class, it is almost always to seek a scapegoat upon whom to deflect blame for something they are responsible for. When ever they refer to any industry with the word "big" preceeding it, they are about to blame somebody for something THEY screwed up.

When politicians pick a fight with the "evil" on behalf of the middle class, it is almost always to seek a scapegoat upon whom to deflect blame for something they are responsible for. When ever they refer to any industry with the word "big" preceeding it, they are about to blame somebody for something THEY screwed up.

What exactly do you believe Elizabeth Warren screwed up?

But that's only if there is a strong favorable candidate running against her at that time, right?

Yea, I suppose. I'd be very surprised if somebody doesn't come after her though. Remember she took this seat from a republican that claimed to be a moderate. He (Scott Brown) won't be sitting still if he thinks there's a chance to take 'his' seat back.

I'm just a sucker for the underdog taking a stand against the Good Ole Boy business/political establishment. Go Elizabeth! ( Pathetic, I know :) )

Nothing wrong with being idealistic.

God I hope not!
If thats true then I just might be reeeeeealy clueless. Funny though :)

http://freebeacon.com/issues/warren-criticizes-clinton-record-at-union-summit/
Warren Criticizes Clinton Record at Union Summit

AFL-CIO chief open to Warren 2016
Elizabeth Warren / AP
BY: Bill McMorris
January 7, 2015 12:35 pm
Insurgent progressive potential presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren took aim at the Clinton legacy during a major labor summit on Wednesday.

The Massachusetts senator slammed the deregulation of Wall Street under former President Bill Clinton’s watch and dismissed his contention that the “era of big government” was over, according to video obtained by America Rising.
“Pretty much the whole Republican Party, and if we’re going to be honest too many Dems, have talked about the evils of Big Government and called for deregulation,” Warren told the AFL-CIO Summit on Raising Wages.

Clinton oversaw the repeal of the core of the Glass-Steagall Act, allowing financial institutions to operate as investment, insurance, and commercial banking operations. Warren blamed the withdrawal of such financial regulations for the 2008 market crash and economic recession.
“It all sounded good but what it was really about was tying the hands of regulators and turning loose big banks and giant international corporations to do whatever they wanted to do: turning them loose to rig the market and reduce competition; turning them loose to outsource more jobs; turning them loose to load up on more risks and then hide behind taxpayer guarantees; turning them loose to sell more mortgages and credit cards that cheated American families,” Warren said.

Warren, a former Harvard bankruptcy law professor, helped oversee the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau before being elected to the Senate in 2012. She has made perceived inequality and increased financial regulation the centerpiece of her campaign. Progressives hope to draft Warren to challenge presumptive candidate Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination in 2016.
Warren lumped the Clinton administration into her critique of Republican free market principles. She accused Washington of catering to the One Percent during the Clinton years, as well as under Republican administrations. She also issued veiled criticism against the Bush and Obama administrations for helping to bailing out companies that helped spur the crash.

“For more than 30 years Washington has far too often advanced policies that hammer America’s middle class even harder,” she said. “Look at the choices that Washington has made, the choices that have left America’s working families in a deep hole, the choice to leash up the financial cops, the choice in a recession to bail out the biggest banks with no strings attached while families suffered,” she said.

Warren’s appearance won high praise from AFL-CIO honcho Richard Trumka, who said that she embodied the ideals of organized labor.
“Her vision of a Raising Wages America embodies our highest ideals. Senator Warren is that rare political leader: she shares out values, she really connects with us, she is a genius when it comes to policy, and she is tough as nails when it comes to politics,” Trumka said in prepared remarks according to CNN.

He later hinted to reporters he saw the Democratic nomination up for grabs in a contest between Warren and Clinton.
“I think that Hillary did an excellent job as secretary of state. I think she is very, very qualified to be president,” Trumka said at a breakfast with reporters in Washington. “Would I say she is the favorite now? Yes. But I think anytime anybody believes there is going to be a coronation, that is dangerous for the candidate.”

The Raising Wages summit could have major implications in the presidential primaries. An AFL-CIO release says that the union plans to replicate Wednesday’s event in each of the first four primary states, which could draw more attention to Warren among early voters.
“State federations of labor will hold Raising Wages summits in the first four presidential primary states—Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, and South Carolina—beginning in Iowa this spring,” the release said. “These summits will bring together diverse voices to lay out the entire Raising Wages platform and establish state-based standards of accountability.”

Back