State of the Roost Address: Ohio Outdoor Motocross

Strouble

PR Addict
The older I get, the more I realize that life brings about change. Whether change is welcome or not; it surely happens. Sometimes, when change first happens; it can be difficult to tell what the outcome will be. Perhaps that is why change can be unsettling. I live on my own, my home stays in the same condition when I arrive back from work as I left it. I like it like that. In times past, I have had room mates and the condition of the home would be different then when I left. For better or for worse, but it always got to me that it wasn't the same and I would have to make adjustments. At times it would be very annoying because it changed my routine; change forced me out of my comfort zone. It is peaceful to me for things to remain the same in my home. I don't want change, even if it may be good for me. That is the hard part about growing up...realizing what needs to stay and what needs to go. I suppose I will have a big learning curve when I get married someday! Folks...the change that is happening in Ohio Motocross will prove out to be good. You will have to step out of your comfort zone.

When I write these types of entries...I remove myself from the positions I hold and attempt to write objectively with no bias to a particular people group, track, or organization (In many cases I will write from personal experience; I have made my line choice. No one can take two lines at once or else your gonna crash.) With the theme of this article, my stance of unbiased objectivity couldn't be more important. Furthermore, I realize that I don't know it all, that I haven't been to every track, and that I am not as experienced with life or Ohio Motocross as many of you out there. The theme of this entry is intended to provide a honest, objective, unbiased account of Ohio Outdoor Motocross. I will not take jabs at any promoter, track, or organization in this entry. I intend to address our attitude as a motocross community and what it will take for any promoter, track, or organization to succeed.

Change has happened in our front yard of Ohio MX. Whether we welcome it or not, change has happened and change is taking place. I do not venture to understand or know entirely why their is two organizations in Ohio now. I don't get involved in the rumor mill and try to set facts straight as often as I can. At times I do say the wrong thing, it can be difficult when I get approached with so many things and that I open my mouth willingly. I open my mouth because I know that I can help keep efforts being made going in a positive direction. The older I get, the more I learn when to keep my mouth shut.

Many times folks have slated the unfolding events as "CRA vs OMA." This ought not be so. People chose different path's. Many of us, myself included, don't know the intimate details of what happened that caused two sanctioning bodies to form. Ultimately it comes down to "he said, she said." That is not solid footing for truth. We just have to rest content that we now have two fully functional sanctioning bodies regardless of what your opinion may be. Yes, I have an opinion, but for the sake of this entry and the growth of our sport, it is best to keep our mouth shut and move forward. Ride and race where you will, don't spread gossip and lies. Only speak from factual knowledge and not what you heard someone say that they heard someone say who heard someone else say something the heard. It just doesn't pan out to good things...gossip and lies cause trouble and is no good for our sport or the children being raised up in our sport. It is not "CRA vs OMA,' or at least shouldn't be. It is CRA is doing one thing and OMA is doing another. Geographically, the two sanctioning bodies at this point are pretty much split between the northern and southern halves of the state. The geographical invisible line is good for Ohio MX because now their is much more opportunity to race and ride. Then you have the non-sanctioned tracks that are scattered through out the state. In the case of Ohio, we have it very good in regards for places to go ride and race. Be thankful, ride and race where you will, and keep our mouths shut about this whole "War" that we make it out to be between two sanctioing bodies. It does absolutely no good for Ohio MX as a whole and the attitudes we are teaching the children in our realm of influence. I have been guilty of opening my mouth when I shouldn't in a variety of different circumstances throughout life. We are all a work in progress. It is time to mature in this matter, myself included.

You will never catch the greatest of riders looking behind them wondering what the other rider is doing. That rider is focused on what is in front of them. If you want to be successful as a person, or a rider, or a track promoter, or a sanctioning body...then you have to look forward and pick your best line. A successful business will provide a quality product or service and back that product or service. In our circumstance...successful tracks will provide properly prepped, safe and fun tracks, a solid operation, value for your dollar spent, and admit when they are wrong if need be. The tracks that will be very successful will be the ones that go above and beyond our basic expectations. The elite or most successful tracks will care about the people with all of the afore mentioned in place. That is how you will be successful, no matter your location or facility or dirt content...to a point. If you don't want to be successful, then don't do these things.

Simply put...the future of Ohio Outdoor Motocross is looking good. Ride where you will and race where you will. Look ahead and don't worry about the rooster tail your throwing at the rider behind you. The status quo of Ohio MX shouldn't be about the tracks or oganizations racing each other, it is about racing to the best of your ability and respecting the riders around you. You don't have to endorse, promote, or even like the riders around you, but we should atleast respect each other enough to just go riding/racing and be content with that...let the chips fall where they may. Trust me, you will enjoy racing much more with this kind of attitude.

Sadly, it doesn't always work this way. We can be more concerned about pushing each other around instead of just moving forward in your line choice. As we well know, line choice is the most important aspect of racing.

I am moving forward.

"Once the gate drops, the manure stops." Ohio Outdoor Motocross is right around the corner.

Aside from this article as a rider with a personal choice; my favorite track is CTMX!

Back