Opening Day Racing With Old Man Winter

Strouble

PR Addict
Old Man Winter wanted to ride also on opening day at Malvern Motocross. Saturday practice was cancelled due to the rain to keep the track packed in for racing on Sunday. This wasn't the news we wanted to hear with the long winter we have had. With various reports coming in for receiving 1"-6" of snow Saturday night; it made for a bleak outlook Sunday. Sitting at my desk the eve before the 2014 Ohio Outdoor Motocross Season would see it's first gate drop...I couldn't help but look forward to all the sights, sounds, smells, emotions, and people the following day.

In the second year of OMA racing; "consistency" has been an important word amongst the organization. Consistency refers to a similar routine or behavior over a period of time in changing circumstances. In application to us; we are looking for consitent operation on race day from track to track and in our ability to work alongside each other as co-laborers in this journey. Consistency will help the smooth flow of operation, help the racers/staff know what is going on during race day, and mainly will help ensure the open door for a enjoyable race day.

At my desk the night before the big day; I am reviewing the rulebook while putting the final touches on the opening riders meeting, reviewing what needs to be said at our flaggers meeting. How we operate and behave in the beginning of this year as an organization will set the tone for the rest of the season barring the unforseeable of course. Many hours of work go on behind the scenes before race day; especially the first one. For me, this includes lining up and developing a staff of flaggers. Making sure the riders meeting is on point with relevant and important information pertaining to race day and the season ahead. This also includes calling and following up with track promoters to have a plan for people that need to be staffed and just working together to ensure that we can offer a quality race environment for you to the best of our abilities. This does not include the countless hours the actual promoters and scoring staff put into for preparation of the upcoming season. I have a checklist of things to do each raceday that is just for my part; their is so many aspects and people required to pulling off a good operation.

I rolled into the track just before 6am; it was cold, windy, and the sight of an inch of snow on the ground made for a big smile with me...race day is finally here and Old Man Winter won the first moto (we even had to use an ice-scraper to clean off the sign-up tables.) Sure enough though the Sping Sun would have an answer back in the second moto.

The crew went to work on the track early on. We have stopped offering late practice becuase folks just need to be punctual; on both sides of the coin. People began rolling in; the true die-hards of the sport wanted to race today. We decided to push practice back 30 minutes to give more time for the track and people were making decisions late to leave the house due to the weather. We have switched to timed motos and practices this year; which will help the program overall. It is the fairest and most timely way to run motos for race day.

One thing I look forward to every year at Malvern is raising up the new American flag for the year. The flag at Malvern is perched high in the sky. I have climbed up that tower many times...the view from up their is remarkable; a birds eye view. You can see everything from up their. It brings alot of emotions into my heart to be up their and thinking about how we got to where we are. Unfortunately on this day, I wasn't climbing the tower due to the snow and ice. So a fresh flag will be up for the next race.

Practice went smooth with the track being really sticky and deep; it was wetter than I thought it would be; but with the winds kicked up and the sunshine breaking through, the track really came around in the second set of motos. The lap times increased by about 15 seconds during the second motos. People were beginning to enjoy the day now...the warmth of the sunshine is something we all had been craving. It was officially opening day and we were happy to be at the track. Something I enjoy is seeing new racers and first time racers. Their was a particular family that consisted of a father, mother, and daughter who was racing for the first time today. She (the daughter) was nervous; we kept coaching her along as she got to shake the cobwebs and butterflies out. These folks were really enthusiastic and a blue-collar family who had tons of fun that day.

All in all, it was good to get the first race run and done. It is going be a long season with lots of racing ahead. I view working these races as if I were racing a harescramble. A harescramble is vastly different from motocross; from a wide track to trails with trees; but mainly the time difference. In motocross the racing is like a sprint where as a harescramble is a marathon, you have to pace yourself and keep a steady pace to finish strong. That is my approach to this season and I love racing harescrambles.

Tomorrow is the second race of the season for OMA at MX 213. This track is pretty cool with lots of elevation change at a faster paced layout that is nestled on some nice fairground pit areas. The spectator view of this track is one of the best as you stand on top of the big hill. The track is easy to find with only being 30 minutes West from the I-77/I-70 interchange. The folks that operate MX 213 are about as laid back as you can get. Over the winter they lost a large helping hand and friend; Ron Ault. Ron was an old-timer with a personality that just about anyone could get along with. It's gonna be a sad day to be at the track without him; but he really loved being involved with the track, so we must press forward. Look for a honorary service for Ron at one of the next MX 213 races.

image.jpgimage.jpg

No matter what, 2014 Ohio Outdoor Motocross is finally here and we are ready to hit the throttle. Hope to see you Sunday! Brap!

Back