BC in the news...

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Well, a little PR from our local paper the Newark Aggrevate...I mean Advocate... ;)

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014305120029&nclick_check=1
bilde

Josh Upperman gets in some practice at Briarcliff Motocross Park for next month's Mountain Dew ATV National Series event. / Courtesy Briarcliff MX

bilde

Sean Taylor from Iowa catches some air at Briarcliff Motocross Park during practice for next month's Mountain Dew ATV National Series. / Courtesy Briarcliff MX

HANOVER — It’s been worth the wait for Jeremy Osborn and Briarcliff Motocross Park.
Located near Hanover on 140 rolling acres, the track opened for business at the end of 2005. Less than nine years later, it will play host to a nationally-televised event.
The RD5 Built Ford Tough Briarcliff ATV National will come to Briarcliff June 14 and 15 as part of the Mountain Dew ATV National Series. It will be televised July 19 on MAVTV and offer more than $40,000 in prize money.
“We expect over 5,000 people over the three days. These are the world’s fastest ATV racers, and they come from every state east of the Mississippi River,” said Osborn, a Licking Valley graduate who used to race national events along the eastern seaboard. “In general, many of these pro racers have either part-time or even full-time jobs that help them make ends meet.
“There’s not a whole lot of (financial) return, but what they get in memories is priceless.”
Some of the top racers came and tested the track Friday. Among them:
• Tim Dettling, who has had to overcome a series of leg injuries to keep pursuing his dream of becoming the Pro Class champion. He’s on the comeback trail after having a steel rod inserted into his leg, which holds his femur together.
• Joe Byrd, the oldest Pro Motocross racers in the series who battles it out at each race with racers easily half his age.
The national series will come to Briarcliff after stops in Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and Illinois. After the local stop, it will head to Minnesota, New York and Michigan prior to the Loretta Lynn Nationals at Hurricane Mills, Tennessee.
Osborn is proud of what he’s been able to do with Briarcliff during the past decade. It has three motocross tracks and 2½ miles of trails.
“Honda Hills shut down when I was just getting going, which was a pretty good transition for us,” he said. “It started with an orange-handed shovel, and has expanded into a facility that will host a nationally-televised motocross race.”
Briarcliff is known for its big jumps.
“The biggest couple are about 20 feet high,” Osborn said. “We’ve toned it down from what it used to be, but you still probably spend more time in the air than on the ground.”
The facility also plays host to other events and weekly rides. A qualifier for the Loretta Lynn Nationals will take place there this weekend.
“We draw from all over Ohio for our weekly rides, a lot from the Columbus area,” Osborn said. “We even have some from out of state.”
There is a huge amount of grading, cleaning, planting grass and painting to operate a facility such as Briarcliff. Osborn is blessed in that regard.
“We probably have 40 or 50 volunteers who come in and really make this go,” he said. “And the list is growing. They just love the sport and want to see this place succeed.”
dweidig@newarkadvocate.com
740-328-8557
Twitter: @noz75

If you go
What: RD 5 Built Ford Tough Briarcliff ATV National, part of Mountain Dew ATV National Series.
When: June 14 and 15
Where: Briarcliff Motocross Park near Hanover. Take Licking Valley Road (County Road 668) through Hanover. About two miles out, make a right on Briarcliff Road. Enter track driveway at intersection of Grove and Briarcliff roads.
Who: The world’s fastest ATV racers from every state east of the Mississippi River.
Tickets: June 14 (pro day), $30 adults, $15 kids at gate (includes camping). Advance tickets $20 adults, $10 kids at Rival Motor Sports in Thornville; Mid-Ohio Honda in Mount Vernon; Honda Marysville Motor Sports. June 15 (wrap-up day), $15 adults, $10 kids.
• Television: MAVTV (noon July 19).
• FYI: www.briarcliffmx.com

Well deserved! Lets all make a few calls to the Advocate and Times Recorder to get them out at the track for this weekend!

Yeah, the wife saw it at work. I can't say the last time I actually picked up a newspaper. I get my news here. ;)

Back