the perfect motorcycle shop

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Ok, so most of use enjoy going to the shop to pickup a new bike, parts, gear, service, what have you... If you were going to put together the best shop, what would you want to see? We all want free everything but in reality what could a shop offer to get you in the door and keep you coming back?
Back in the 2 smoke age it was always a given that a shop would carry a top end kit for each size but now with the tractors we all have, what should a shop keep in inventory? When they grenade it is hard to track everything that is destroyed.
Just looking for some feedback to help our area shops and keep them open.

If a shop owner is at the races, or better yet on the gate at the races that's a big plus.

marijuana-bong-fun1.jpg

Just kidding........... thoughts of previous thread still lingering :D

Your question takes me into some memories that resurfaced for me some time ago. See, I'm going through this mid-life awakening, and starting to dwell and remember a whole bunch of crap long, long ago forgotten.

Anyway, back when I was in 10th grade economics class, our teacher gave us a class exercise on just that topic you raised. She made us conceptualize up a business, design a store front, a show room, etc. Never considered the idea before but she got me thinking, "Hey.... I would love to own a motorcycle shop, specializing in Dirt Bikes". At that time, I was blowing all of my hard earned odd jobs cash on Dirt Bike magazines and replacement parts for my piece of junk Suzuki 125, that I was obsessed with riding.

Thanks for the stroll down memory trail ck1.

It seems to me that bike shops any more are all about the bling. Hundreds of pairs of riding gear, lots of fancy shiny parts that do nothing for your bike but make it look nice. Get back to basics and carry hard parts that you actually need before the next weekends race or ride.

Action sports in Alliance in such a place. It hasnt changed its interior look since 1965. They still have expansion chambers hanging on the wall for some of those ancient dinosaurs too. The point is they stock just about every hard part you need for a YZ,YZF,RM and RMZ. Rarely do you need to order a part.

Customer service. I drive an hour and pass 4 shops on my way to kames just cause im sick of all the turds that don't care at my local shops. Seems theres always guys pumped on mx working at kames, and actually want to get you what you want. The worst is going into a place dealing with guys who don't ride, and want to tell you what you need.

The guys at Kames are passionate about the sport, same as Action Sport Cycles in Alliance. You can sit there and bench race with those guys at both shops and they take a sincere interest in your bike and parts needs. I've been going to Action since I was a kid and they always had the parts I needed on the shelf. I still get parts from them for my 1975 TM 75! I hit up Kames on my lunch hour, grab some goodies while i'm there and the guys are always helpful.

Seems that today's modern motorcycle shops have a shopping mall feeling to them. No personality.

I'll back you guys up on Action Sports and Kames . I used to race against Gary from Action but I haven't been there for a couple of years and heard he " retired " from the shop . You ever look up in the rafters of that place ?

The ultimate shop to me will always be the Mathias shop just above Dover on Rte 800 . Shiny new Pentons , Bultacos , Huskys , and Triumphs lined the walls . Had all the essentials you needed , the latest riding gear ( wasn't all that much to be had then , compared to now ) and would order in whatever you wanted extra . Magical place when I was younger and the Mathias family ran it and was my " home " shop later when Gene Robinson was proprietor ( He still runs the BMW shop in New Philly and all the old dirt bikers still get him to bore their 2 stroke cylinders . He did my 500 CR Husky jug ) . Loads of bench racing went on there . These guys were all racers , mechanics , promoters , you-name-it of the sport . Gene invited me many times to bring my bikes down in the lower shop to help me make mods on them . This was the transition period to longer travel suspension and we layed down shocks , gusseted swingarms , etc. . He even let me ride a brand new 390 Husky around the shop just after he busted it out of the crate . Eventually ended up buying the CR450R Honda ( that Hartney bought off me twenty some odd years later ) and felt like a traitor .Raced against him in many harescrambles . Good times . Good times .

The perfect shop to me is definately a shop that still stocks most two stroke parts. Whenever i need a part the place never even has it and i have to order it. Like screws, gaskets, covers, and seals all need ordered and then you have to wait for them to arrive. Another plus would be having parts for all brands. Thats what i dont like about iron pony. They have few honda parts. Just my 2 cents

Customer service. There are a lot of shops out there that the customer service is horrible. I used to buy everything from Yamaha of Troy back in the day. The last time I bought parts in there was crazy. I had ordered parts, and stopped in while working (no a lot of time during the day). The parts guy was sweeping the floor. I stood at the counter, looked at him a few times, while he swept. He then looked at me, and said "I will be there in a minute when I am done here"..........I picked up my parts, and NEVER walked back in Yamaha of Troy.

Like it or not, shops have got to get a little closer to some of the internet deals out there. If I can order parts online, get it shipped to my door in two days, and save a ton of money, the local shop has got to do something to get me to buy the parts in their shop. At the end of the day, the consumer is just not going to hand over a bunch of extra money to buy the exact same thing that he can have delivered in two day, and not waste time nor gas to get.

Well said John.
We have a local Honda dealer that is probably one of the newest shops in Central Ohio.

Didn't take them long at all to develope a damaging reputation. They are a Honda Powerstore. The last time I went their they didn't even stock 2 stroke oil. That being said though, we have a small mom and pop Yamaha dealer, that isn't even in town, between Hebron and Kirkersville that will bend over backwards to serve their customers, they are a racing family, and super friendly and helpful.

Guys I will first start off by saying I LOVE MX as much as any of you...been around it for almost 20 years, I have raced and worked at a single line and multi line dealership..that being said you may get upset with my comments but I assure you what I will say IS the truth..MX is a sliver, yes sliver of a dealer's sales..and its getting smaller and smaller lately...racers expect a dealer to have everything they need in stock but they don't realize how difficult that is..some bikes stay the same for years, other brands change major components every 2-3 years..an average 4 smoker engine rebuild costs the dealer probably $800 to stock...how often do you think they sell one? I would say most racers would be pissed if the ride they choose blows up more than once a year..so as a dealer you have no clue what year/model is going to blow..probably cost you $20k to have a "rebuild" in stock for 250 + 450's built in the last 3-5 years..a lot of loot out there for something you may sell once a year...bottom line, cruisers are number one in business for a dealer, followed in order by sportbikes, old s**t(motorcycles), utility atv's, sport atvs, then MX..the dealer is going to stock what sells or turns...turns are important in stocking inventory...you want your "stocked" parts to move quickly and produce revenue...not sit there and collect dirt..lowes..walmart...sears..?? you think they hold shelf space for something that sells once to twice a year??? Now that being said some "positives"...any dealer worth their salt should have at least 2 major distributors that can get 80% of their ordered parts next day(in ohio at least)..a lot of parts counter guys don't do the ordering so they have no clue to order from one supplier over another and the parts managers are too lazy to change the part to a quicker supplier..now the last part of my soapbox rant...everyone who races no matter if they are good or not wants to be "sponsored" and a discount..honestly 90% of you out there DO NOT QUALIFY...mid pack C riders, mid pack B riders, hell mid pack A riders..you aren't as good as you think..no offense..I want to sponsor you if you are good and then you send in 5-10 riders to buy stuff at retail..problem is that doesn't work..those guys come in then they want everything discounted or free...it misses the whole point of sponsorship...I give you free or discounted stuff you send me retail paying customers(its always go "so this dude sent me in and said you hooked him up, can you hook me up too) THATS NOT THE POINT!!...that's WHY I do it..not to have to discount stuff for them as well!!! I do agree local dealers for years have not acknowledged the web and need to be competitive...but just keep in mind how frustrated you would be if they went away and you had to mail order spark plugs..oil..oil filters...would suck to miss a day of riding/racing if they aren't there...last thing I will say..can't want it all.stock everything for your bike, discount it all, and STILL be in business...off the soap box thanks if anyone listens : )

In my opinion Pointview cycle is a great shop, they may be a Ktm shop but they don't care what you ride and they stock a lot of jap bike parts and always willing to help with any problem you have on any bike. I used to go to action a lot when I rode jap bikes but it seemed like half the time they would get shitty with you about picking there brains to get help and advice on repairs and service because they weren't making any money off it and I couldn't talk to them without them trying to sell me something. I can go to Pointview, pull up a chair and just bullshit and talk about bikes for hours and not even bring my wallet and still leave with some free stickers. They have helped me out after hours even, and for that small business feel where for them it's not a job it's there life and passion makes it my favorite shop.

Guys I will first start off by saying I LOVE MX as much as any of you...been around it for almost 20 years, I have raced and worked at a single line and multi line dealership..that being said you may get upset with my comments but I assure you what I will say IS the truth..MX is a sliver, yes sliver of a dealer's sales..and its getting smaller and smaller lately...racers expect a dealer to have everything they need in stock but they don't realize how difficult that is..some bikes stay the same for years, other brands change major components every 2-3 years..an average 4 smoker engine rebuild costs the dealer probably $800 to stock...how often do you think they sell one? I would say most racers would be pissed if the ride they choose blows up more than once a year..so as a dealer you have no clue what year/model is going to blow..probably cost you $20k to have a "rebuild" in stock for 250 + 450's built in the last 3-5 years..a lot of loot out there for something you may sell once a year...bottom line, cruisers are number one in business for a dealer, followed in order by sportbikes, old *!*!*!*!(motorcycles), utility atv's, sport atvs, then MX..the dealer is going to stock what sells or turns...turns are important in stocking inventory...you want your "stocked" parts to move quickly and produce revenue...not sit there and collect dirt..lowes..walmart...sears..?? you think they hold shelf space for something that sells once to twice a year??? Now that being said some "positives"...any dealer worth their salt should have at least 2 major distributors that can get 80% of their ordered parts next day(in ohio at least)..a lot of parts counter guys don't do the ordering so they have no clue to order from one supplier over another and the parts managers are too lazy to change the part to a quicker supplier..now the last part of my soapbox rant...everyone who races no matter if they are good or not wants to be "sponsored" and a discount..honestly 90% of you out there DO NOT QUALIFY...mid pack C riders, mid pack B riders, hell mid pack A riders..you aren't as good as you think..no offense..I want to sponsor you if you are good and then you send in 5-10 riders to buy stuff at retail..problem is that doesn't work..those guys come in then they want everything discounted or free...it misses the whole point of sponsorship...I give you free or discounted stuff you send me retail paying customers(its always go "so this dude sent me in and said you hooked him up, can you hook me up too) THATS NOT THE POINT!!...that's WHY I do it..not to have to discount stuff for them as well!!! I do agree local dealers for years have not acknowledged the web and need to be competitive...but just keep in mind how frustrated you would be if they went away and you had to mail order spark plugs..oil..oil filters...would suck to miss a day of riding/racing if they aren't there...last thing I will say..can't want it all.stock everything for your bike, discount it all, and STILL be in business...off the soap box thanks if anyone listens : )

Very well said. Some things to think about.

Guys I will first start off by saying I LOVE MX as much as any of you...: )

Reminds me back when Carmichael was racing for Kawasaki. The factory reps stated in MXAction mag jokingly, that if Ricky would of raced and won another season on the Kawis the factory would go broke, sales were that bad.

Agreed that its unreal to expect dealers to carry a large spare parts inventory. But they could make up for it with great customer service, which in our local store is disasterously lacking. And their employee turnover is very high.

The internet is where it's at if I need parts. Cool as hell that I can go on BikeBandit, shop and order parts for four different bike brands in one site visit.

Many good points stated above ! Although it all comes back to one simple expectation , customer service and a good staff . A current shop can't win the pricing battle with online giants having free shipping and crazy low prices .....but most people can be swayed with good employees and the right environment . With a retail background I made my employees adopt " it's not my fault but it is my problem ". Sure I lose a few bucks on something on a initial transaction or occasion . However , they remember I took care of them and didn't blow them off . It's as simple as the old term " ROI" , return on investment . A little bit of my time and service equals a great investment for future customers / sales .

Also as a consumer/ buyer I don't want the rock bottom lowest price you can give me , I want a fair price ! Americans are obsessed with paying the least amount of money for everything ...how long does that work !?!
Currently having a rebuild of my top end done , ordered all my parts through my local shop , labor , and install . I overspent by about $ 75 ordering the parts at his shop . To me it's worth it the shop stays around , good service , fair pricing. , and local .

What is customer service worth? What percentage more than net prices would you pay? I recently got into RC racing...have a local RC shop..love the guys there but they charge me retail on any of the smaller parts I purchase...which is a lot in RC stuff..probably averages $20 a sale (might be the reason I switched from MX...LOL) I buy my smaller stuff from them..for instance, needed a battery tray as I broke mine..could of got one off the web for $12, paid $14 to get it from them..well worth it, good guys good customer service..now the 2 batteries I ordered recently their cheapest price was $80 per battery, ordered on ebay and got 2 for $104 to my door...whats the price/percentage? I make my living off ebay selling MX parts so I appreciate your feedback, helps me significantly...my store is http://stores.ebay.com/midwest-discount-cycle?_trksid=p2047675.l2563.. now what I will tell you..I can't afford to stock anything...one day I sell 10 of something, next day someone beats my price by 5 cents and I sell none..I drop ship like most sellers on ebay..profit margins are low due to competition and fees are high..that being said most items I sell drop ship from my 4 suppliers 12 warehouses throughout the country...good news, even with me being in Ohio most of the time I can get parts to CA in 1-2 business days..in fact to about anywhere..bad thing..sometimes a guy in PA orders a part and its only in my CA warehouse so it takes 4 business days even though I am in the neighboring state...its good and bad. by the way, I don't sell EVERYTHING but I will tell you folks ebay or amazon is the cheapest place to buy..you are paying more to buy from rocky mountain or chap or any of those sites...probably better service(honestly you get what you pay for) but most ebay sellers like me give pretty good customer service..even though we make crap on what we sell(if you aren't an a*****e I will go above and beyond..if you are an a*****e I don't have the time or patience to deal with you..brutal but honest..LOL)..ohh and to answer my own question..I would pay 10-20% more to get it locally vs mail order...like talking to the guys but I won't be taken "advantage of"

ohh and @Raptor519 you sound like a business man with some experience so I will tell you this..90% of the time a local dealer can match a net price and still make money...SO would they rather not have the sale or take it for a low profit margin...bad to say but most local shops pass on it...I think they think they believe if they do it one time the flood gates will open..but they can still make something(better than them ordering elsewhere and making nothing) and I think most folks wouldn't question that under $100 purchase after that..I think I speak universally when I say..be somewhat competitive on prices for high dollar stuff and we will get the nut and bolt stuff with you too..for retail...if a local dealer is $200 over net price on an exhaust you probably aren't gonna be back for anything above oil and filters and plugs..such a strange industry...is like local dealers are stuck in the 90's ...take the friggin business and be happy you have it...or that they even asked about it..I understand they are trying to make as much money on what little they sell as they can but you would sell more by being a little flexible...my most real recent job was as a parts manager at a Honda powerhouse dealer..I always told my parts people don't miss a sale if we are making money!!!

I have a local dealer that I buy a lot of parts from, and use their service department. They have awesome customer service. When shopping for a new 85 for my son, I had two different shops give me GREAT prices on a new 85. I tried to buy an 85 from them (matching the other two dealers prices), and a new leftover Yamaha Zuma at the same time. Unfortunately, they told me "if you can buy it for that price, go buy it. It makes no sense to me to sell it for that". So I did. While I really like the shop, and the people that work there, I need to get it where it is the most affordable for me. I will continue to use them for things, because I like the place, but that is disappointing. You would have thought that they would rather of made less money on the bike (and sold two) to keep me out of another dealers shop? That is rolling the dice, and possibly losing a customer. I don't know, I don't own a shop. But Sometimes, I am not sure about their thinking on some things.

Back