Maico Breako

evomx244

PR Addict
picked up this 72 Maico 125 last night 4 miles from my house, had it sold before I picked it up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 307
  • image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 264
Wow, quite a find for sure.
With side draft carb and that tiny rear sprocket was this model designed for trails or flat track maybe?

Wow, quite a find for sure.
With side draft carb and that tiny rear sprocket was this model designed for trails or flat track maybe?
Side draft? You mean rotary valve? That may be what this is, air "boot" of a sort going into the case/side cover.
Like this:

4693790.jpg

Yup, it's a rotary valve. I was told the boot going from the carb to the airbox is a fork boot maico used, also it's an early 72 based on the way the seat bolts on. Bike is very clean, pretty rare, My friend bought it from me before I even picked it up. I'm sure I could have gotten more money but I did pretty good for driving 4 miles and giving it a bath.

Yea I remembered them being referred to as rotary valve but was struggling to remember if that terminology was correct or not. My 1975 Kawasaki KH100 is same design.

The Maico is quite unique.

Yea I remembered them being referred to as rotary valve but was struggling to remember if that terminology was correct or not. My 1975 Kawasaki KH100 is same design..

I roadraced a Can-am 250 with rotary valve. I have some experience removing the carb,
cutting the valve (or putting in a new one as we cut too far) and trying again. Eventually it
was faster than a really good RD250, lighter, and had pretty much no front brake. Quite fun
to ride as long as you didn't hit anybody from behind.

I went to a vintage swap meet/ride day (Nesco, NJ) and a guy is out there riding one...at race speeds. I'm thinking, "These things are RARE, what's he gonna do if something breaks?" It did fine and he must have done 25-30 laps. It did quit once, but he pushed it over to some wizards trailer, and it was back on the track in minutes. Electrical/plug issue.

Back