The John Penton Story

Windtunnel36

PR Addict
I went and watched the premier of the movie about the life of John Penton last night at the State Theater. It was very good. I live in Lorain County where he lives but never knew the real story. The movie brought out a lot of emotion for me. I laughed and almost cried a few times. I had always heard how John was a tough guy that never gave up and the movie sure showed that. It had old footage of races and interviews. I remember at the first few MX races I went to as a kid the Penton brothers were there. I was so impresssed with their bikes and riding style. They seemed to always have a headlight on their bikes and still kick everyones butt in MX. That is one reason I road a woods bike with a headlight in MX, for those that wondered why. I thank John for what he did for the sport, his inovative ideas for bikes and protective gear. He started High Point products which are now taken over by different brands. He helped Torsten Hallman to import his products into the US which is now Thor. The biggest thing I got from the movie was motorcycle racing is a thankless sport. Meaning you do it because you love it and if you don't do it you wouldn't understand it. There is not much congratulations after a race other than your friends and family. I saw several local racers there old and young. I saw Dave Dispain from Speed channel's Windtunnel show. I shook his hand and told him my nick name is Windtunnel. He got a kick out of that. I would suggest going to see the movie and take young riders along to show where our sport came from. I guess it will be coming to theaters near you soon. Thanks, Mark.

Also for those that didn't know. John helped KTM become what is now the biggest off road motorcycle manufacturer in the world. The original bikes were called Pentons until KTM took complete control in 1978 I think. I liked Jack Penton commenting on he was the first guy to race a KTM and the bike broke in half. So much information in the movie. Like John was at the MXON's when the US first won. He told the riders how much effort he put into trying to get the US riders to win the ISDE and they won it in MX. One of the riders said, You didn't win because you didn't send us.

I had to work late, sorry I missed it I bet there were a ton of folks there that were in the film. Looking forward to seeing it.

I was there too, AWESOME movie. When this comes to DVD, i suggest EVERYONE on here buy it. It's sad that John had such a huge impact on so many brands today, and very few people know who he is. I am very fortunate to know John and to be his neighbor, 6 or 7 houses down the road from me. And the movie wasn't just a boring documentary, it had good stories and humor, as well as sad parts. I also got to meet Dave Dispain too, he rode to the premier in Cleveland from Georgia on a Goldwing! Super cool being able to meet all the people there. Like I said, I highly suggest seeing the movie when it comes to theaters, and buying it when it is released.

Sounds too cool. Makes me think of a Motocross Files short on steroids. Cool stuff. Although I still choose to ride my MX bike without a headlight. Just something else I need to replace after I take a digger. Although, I have a buddy that rides the MX track on occasion with his lighted woods bike. ;)

both the screenins within 2 hours of us, are the week we are in OBX. dang. any one know when it will come out on DVD?

Here are some pictures from the premiere last night. Great seeing so many familiar faces young and old!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

When I was a kid a friend of ours was friends with some of the Pentons. I remember a trip to Tennessee riding, and a few of them were along. I am not sure which ones, but I believe it was John with a couple sons if I remember right. I was about 14 years old.

Cleveland channel 8 Fox news had John and Jack Penton on their morning show earlier this week talking about the premier . It was a good piece and I was pleasantly surprised that the anchors seemed to know about the Penton's history and contributions to motorcycling , and showed a lot of respect . Wish I could have made it to the premier but I only venture into Cleveland under duress . Will definitely own the DVD . I've owned a few Pentons ( still have the remains of a 100cc Berky ) and KTMs .

Agreed on Dave Despain. He is a Moto guy all the way. Would love to have him doing the Nationals and SX. I remember when I was a kid, Dayton Motorcycle Club had a flat track every year in Troy. Dave Despain was the announcer for the races every year way back when in the 70s and 80s.

Here is a chance to see this movie. The Akron, premier of the movie PENTON ,Tuesday July 22, 2104 at the Regal Cinema in Montrose /Akron. http://gathr.us/screening/8233
The chance to share a piece of history with our KTM family of Riders certainly doesn't come around often if at all. We all have this rare opportunity to come together here in Akron in July

We wanted to share with you what this movie means to us.
We just felt so completely that this was a movie that needed to be made because of our sport.
What we discovered was a sharp business man, a proud man,a loving husband and a wonderful father to his children.
We really grew up in our business in the Penton 'hay day' years.
I have to share that even though we both, Denny and I, thought we knew the Penton story...we did not know the whole story.
John Penton was a fierce competitor. He fought to bring these Penton bikes to the USA. The road was not an easy one. Mr. Penton didn't 'settle'. He knew exactly what he wanted and needed in a small bore dirt bike. You will hear and see so many motorcycle 'greats' tell you about their experiences and memories of John Penton.

Yesterday on Father's Day as I review in my mind the huge benefits Mr.Penton brought to our industry...I had to stop and think what a wonderful example he is to his children.His daughters and sons & his wife are interviewed throughout the movie. You can feel the pride in their voices and see that pride on their faces.

We hope you will join us to watch this piece of history unfold here in Akron in July.

Attachments

• 252754_10150886463812587_582195940_n.jpg
    252754_10150886463812587_582195940_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 184
I went and watched the premier of the movie about the life of John Penton last night at the State Theater. It was very good. I live in Lorain County where he lives but never knew the real story. The movie brought out a lot of emotion for me. I laughed and almost cried a few times. I had always heard how John was a tough guy that never gave up and the movie sure showed that. It had old footage of races and interviews. I remember at the first few MX races I went to as a kid the Penton brothers were there. I was so impresssed with their bikes and riding style. They seemed to always have a headlight on their bikes and still kick everyones butt in MX. That is one reason I road a woods bike with a headlight in MX, for those that wondered why. I thank John for what he did for the sport, his inovative ideas for bikes and protective gear. He started High Point products which are now taken over by different brands. He helped Torsten Hallman to import his products into the US which is now Thor. The biggest thing I got from the movie was motorcycle racing is a thankless sport. Meaning you do it because you love it and if you don't do it you wouldn't understand it. There is not much congratulations after a race other than your friends and family. I saw several local racers there old and young. I saw Dave Dispain from Speed channel's Windtunnel show. I shook his hand and told him my nick name is Windtunnel. He got a kick out of that. I would suggest going to see the movie and take young riders along to show where our sport came from. I guess it will be coming to theaters near you soon. Thanks, Mark.
11 days left to secure your tickets to see the John Penton Movie in Akron, Ohio July 22, 2014. The tickets must be purchased by July 7, 2014 in order to actually have this movie shown at the Regal Cinema in Montrose. There has been 31 tickets purchased to date.
Here is the link to purchase your tickets on line.
http://gathr.us/screening/8233
If we do not reach 80 tickets pre- sold then our credit cards will not be processed and the movie will not take place. This is a huge piece of our motorcycle history here in Ohio and a great family movie.
Denny and I, well we hope we see you all there.

Back