"Event" or a race??

honda907

PR Addict
A promoter posted something about his racing being an "EVENT" and another race series not being able to compare to it. That isn't a problem so let's not get into that. I am interested in what people think an "EVENT" is compared to a race. What do you think goes into an "EVENT" verses just a race?

Just asking, because I routinely travel 3 plus hours every week to race, so I think racing is just the "EVENT"!!

I will travel 6 hours on a whim to race what you call local races, so what is your definition of an "EVENT"?

I think an event is a one and done deal, meaning every year, but not a series.
Multiple days, and more than just racing. Chilli town does the Halloween thing with hay rides and bands.
stuff like that.

I think a race, is a race. nothing else. an 'event', to me, would include activities other than racing.

Great question.
For sure, has to do with ones own perceptive.
By definition, an "Event" is something that happens or is regarded as happening; an occurrence, especially one of some importance. Some importance in my eyes is limited access, extraordinary awards, A first or last of something, a championship (series or race), new or redesigned track.
Chili is a good example. Even though it is just another date on the calendar and another race on the schedule, the Halloween thing is made into an event by simply adding a few thousand pumpkins to the side of the track and dragging kids around on a hay ride. Anything that makes the race standout on the schedule is, in my eyes, an event.

[QUOTE="ck1racerx, post: 574434, member: 11127"Anything that makes the race standout on the schedule is, in my eyes, an event.[/QUOTE]

This is it for me. So when we have a race that has extra ordinary things going on, like a local race that makes an effort to feel like a national to me is an event.

A podium
Energy drink stands giving stuff away by half naked women
Special one off awards
Lots of swag
Memorial, Halloween, Fathers, Labor day races
Firemen races
Lots of on site vendors

When you pull in and its already to go. No waiting around like they just started getting things ready an hour before. A good example for me is like the Pro Nat's. You can pull in at 7am Saturday morning and everything is already up and going. Grills are going, deep fryers are warming up, track is already to go, bikes are being prepped, vendors are already putting product out to view, people in the pits up and moving around.

When you get that feeling that they have been waiting on you to get there, and you almost feel like people are looking at you like "O, you finally made it" but your still an hour and a half early.

Back