KTM 2 Stroke Premix

What premix oil are you guys running in your KTM 2 strokes? I know motorex is very good oil but no place around me has it anymore.. So just wanting to know what you guys use.

Thanks!

Maxima Super M is also a great oil . Started using it at the suggestion of a buddy who was a KTM dealer . Said that engines were super clean on tear downs when using this oil . It is what all our group is using now , even in our vintage bikes . Chain saws , weed eaters , etc. seem to like it too .

+1 on yamalube, ran it in my ktm 2 stroke for a while. or motorex, maxima, or motul... all oils ive had good luck with in my 2 strokes over the past few years.

Havent even ran 4 gallons thru my new smoker but running Klotz R50
I always ran Yamalube 2r in my RMs but switched to Klotz when I got the 14 250sx
If rain ever stops I plan on going riding this weekend

Two stroke mixes are like religions. Everybody swears theirs is the best, and nobody is willing to change. If you get an oil you've heard of, it will be fine if you mix it properly for the type of oil it is. I will never believe these guys who say "my bike ran fine until I used xxx oil, and it blew up in 15 minutes". The main noticeable differences are long term such as cylinder lifespan, and carbon buildup. The key is to stick with your selected mix, and carb tune your bike to it, and not be changing mixes all the time. Also some oils do not mix with other oils.

As a general guideline:

general purpose low end 2 cycle oil - 20-24:1

quality conventional motorsports oils (Yamalube) 32:1

hi end synthetics 40-50:1, to as high as 80:1

The more oil in your fuel, the slower it burns, and the lower you may need to jet in order to get a complete burn.

In the olden days I used anything I could buy off the shelf at Kmart, and later Yamalube, Maxima, Golden Spectro, then Belray MC1 during the 90's, and the last 15 years or so, Blue Marble. I can't say I've ever had a "failure due to bad oil" but I say say that I seem to get longer cylinder life (iron cylinders) from Blue Marble than MC1, or conventionals. I didn't run Maxima or Spectro long enough to form an opinion.

Yeah, I'm with you on the religionous type dealio and as long as you use any of the medium to upper type oils, you're good. I've never had any issues with Castor 927, but to be totally honest I run it because I likes the smell more than any other. I use week or so old gas for my 2-stroke yard equipment just to get that buzz while doing yard work. Everything is 40:1 for me...

Last edited:
I tried probally a half dozen different 2 stroke mixes in my 250sx all at 40:1, 42:1, 45:1 and 50:1 alog with numorous different jet combinations. I found 50:1 with VP SEF and Klotz was the best in my openion, thats just my experience and preferance for me and how I ride.

for years I used golden spectro (hi-point) recently I switched to amsoil intimidator.. the only reason I switched was for convenience.. I live in Marion and you cant get golden spectro anywhere close. you can get amsoil at wallmart, rural king, meijers etc.. I mix it 40 to 1

+1 for Klotz and VP...although I can't justify buying VP anymore since I'm hardly racing. Oil is oil and I agree with Timsr90, but Klotz gets my vote over and over, been using it for years at 50:1, and lets face it, it's the best smelling 2-stroke oil out there!

Back