Maico

Clint1991

PR Addict
Anyone on here big into the old maico's? I have been wanting a vintage bike for awhile and am unsure of the bike I'd like to build so far but back in my old mans days they talked big about them maico's and I think they are pretty sweet and would love to put one together. But are they common enough to get and are parts accesible and readily available? Any input would be great, also anything on the old penton KTM's would be great to hear too.
maico_flash.jpg

Here,
Get one like this......501. Nice bike at Mid-ohio. $15K, didn't really want to sell it.
Mike Hawkins

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 268
Here,
Get one like this......501. Nice bike at Mid-ohio. $15K, didn't really want to sell it.
Mike Hawkins

I'm confused. The 501 in the picture was brought to Mid Ohio by a buddy of mine from Toledo who was asking 15K...I didn't think he had sold it that weekend? His name's not Mike.

I have 3 buddies who are fanatics of the German marque . They have been gathering parts and bikes for years , to have spares , but most parts are fairly available from some shops that specialize in them . Ebay and Mark's Vintage Swapmeet are great sources too . The early 70s 125 and 501 models are rare , collectable , and $$$$ . Don't know if you are thinking of vintage , post-vintage , or both ( My suggestion so you can ride both days at AHRMA or AMA vintage events ) . 1 buddy is a lurker on here ( hey Scott ) and word has it that he may be letting go of some of his fleet ( vast ) , especially the vintage ones . 490s are awesome but have starting issues as do many of the old big bore 2-strokes .

Pentons don't seem quite as popular with the racing crowd but since they originated in Ohio and there is the Buehner's (sp?) shop near Cleveland that specializes in them , they would be a good choice . I had an MX6( 5 maybe ?Had the orange bodywork . ) 250 that had an awesome motor compared to any 2-stroke I've ever ridden . I still have quite a few parts for a Berkshire 100 that I occasionally put on ebay . I rode a brand new 495 KTM in 82 or 83 ( memory is going ) that a dealer friend let me try . What a beast ! More motor than humanly necessary and felt like a chopper with the front end geometry . The Pentons handle different than the Japanese iron and don't suit everyone's taste . Maicos were known as the best handling Euro bikes .

There are specialty shops/dealers all across the country for almost any bike you've ever heard of . Most of them are very helpful but a few are quirky to deal with . Online research and the vintage chats will reveal who is who . There are some companies popping out new and repro parts and accessories for the old bikes ; stuff like pipes , plastics , stickers , shocks/suspension components , seat foam , etc. .

When I decided to get " back into " vintage bikes , I narrowed it down to Penton or Husky and went the Swedish route . From the late 60's on , I've ridden or owned almost every locally available brand of bike , Jap or Euro . Viking biking is to my liking ! Still have my Montesa 360VB that I'm the original owner of and WILL restore one day though .

Correction , the Penton I had was an MC5 as pointed out by a buddy I just got off the phone with . And as a matter of fact , he knows of an acquaintance of ours that has just put his MC5 on the market .

Get a Maico as parts are easy to come by with lots of aftermarket goodies & they hold up well. My 81 490 was easy to start but don't know about other years.
Maico Mark

I'm confused. The 501 in the picture was brought to Mid Ohio by a buddy of mine from Toledo who was asking 15K...I didn't think he had sold it that weekend? His name's not Mike.
Hi, that was your buddy I was talking about. This wasn't my bike, kinda wish it was. Just posted the pick because I liked the bike. Talked to your buddy for awhile about the bike. Nice guy.
Mike H.

Back