Chillitown battle race-flaggers

I wonder if redundancy would help solve the problem? Certainly this would need to be addressed on a track by track assessment. Here is what I notice: A given track crew has a flagger placed on or near the top/face of a jump or obstacle with intent to see and guard as much ground as possible. If an additional flagger is placed between obstacles with the intention to catch what one flagger missed and have a flag waiving one station before the incident so as to double up on the chances that the oncoming riders will see the caution area.

The additional flagger with communication to all other flaggers will be able to help with notifications of an area needing a caution flag in the case when the incident happens where a flagger didn't notice it. Hopefully the redundant flagger will see it.

I have more to add but I'm out of time for now.

I know a lot more about roadracing flagging, having done it a few times. There are always
at least 2 people at each flag station because you can't see up the track and down the
track at the same time. If there is only one person available, typically that station will
have none! It's safer for the corner worker. I don't think MX is the same but there are
certainly places on a MX track that would benefit from having two flaggers, one to look over
the jump, one to look at oncoming riders.

And there are three solid rules for roadrace flaggers, in this order:
protect yourself
protect the downed rider
protect the oncoming racers

Everything else, cleaning up the mess, whatever, is secondary.

How about this:

I know it sucks to have bad flaggers. But you as a rider are responsible for yourself on the track. If you see a yellow flag, it is your responsibility to SLOW DOWN enough to safely move around an emergent situation.

This is not Loretta Lynns, this is not PROFESSIONAL RACING. When that yellow comes out, SLOW DOWN, KEEP YOUR WHEELS ON THE GROUND. And if someone passes you, you submit a protest. There is no passing under caution. We are all racing for glory, please slow down. Take responsiblity and do not place it solely on the flaggers. They are human, and they cannot readily protect EVERY situation. Only the RACER can prevent further catastophe's on the track by realizing there is a potential hazard and slowing down SAFELY.

Did anyone see the 450 race from Washougal yesterday? Trey Canard went down and he was giving the flagger hell for not flagging on top of the hill and telling riders where he was. It happens at all levels. All we can do is try to get better.

What about Little Bubba slamming into Wiemer a few weeks ago. Flagger was flagging 20 foot off the track. Wiemer was waving people around him, and as soon as he stops to pick up his bike, BOOM.

What about Little Bubba slamming into Wiemer a few weeks ago. Flagger was flagging 20 foot off the track. Wiemer was waving people around him, and as soon as he stops to pick up his bike, BOOM.
Those are differen situations. Clearly these guys are racing for money and there is no slowing down for that. At the pro level there should be qualified flaggers that travel the damn circuit.

Locally it's hard to find reliable and knowledgeable help. SO THAT LEAVES THE SAFETY MORE UP TO THE RIDERS THAN THE FLAGGERS.

But for us to blame chili town for these incidents I don't think is the best way about this. I don't think the flagging situation will ever change, we as riders need to realize that we do not want to be more seriously injured after a get off. We don't want to hurt anybody else. Please slow down for yellows and be aware. You can't trust them on a blind jump no matter how good they are.

Those are differen situations. Clearly these guys are racing for money and there is no slowing down for that. At the pro level there should be qualified flaggers that travel the damn circuit.

Locally it's hard to find reliable and knowledgeable help. SO THAT LEAVES THE SAFETY MORE UP TO THE RIDERS THAN THE FLAGGERS.

But for us to blame chili town for these incidents I don't think is the best way about this. I don't think the flagging situation will ever change, we as riders need to realize that we do not want to be more seriously injured after a get off. We don't want to hurt anybody else. Please slow down for yellows and be aware. You can't trust them on a blind jump no matter how good they are.

The biggest point to the flagging issue IS THE FLAGGERS FAULT dumb dumb. If they arent waving a flag where you can see it, if at all, or if they are waving it after thet downed rider...... how is it up to us to be careful around a downed rider??? Xray vision? ESP? Time travel ? You have been watching too many Bugs Bunny cartoons!

I wonder if redundancy would help solve the problem? Certainly this would need to be addressed on a track by track assessment. Here is what I notice: A given track crew has a flagger placed on or near the top/face of a jump or obstacle with intent to see and guard as much ground as possible. If an additional flagger is placed between obstacles with the intention to catch what one flagger missed and have a flag waiving one station before the incident so as to double up on the chances that the oncoming riders will see the caution area.

The additional flagger with communication to all other flaggers will be able to help with notifications of an area needing a caution flag in the case when the incident happens where a flagger didn't notice it. Hopefully the redundant flagger will see it.

I have more to add but I'm out of time for now.

We started doing this for our finishline, because it was tough for the tower to see the landing. I want to get two spotters up in the new tower and have them each watch half the track and be in radio contact with their respective set of flaggers.

If he flag is waving over BC finish line I'm not doing anything else but locking up the binders and rolling up onto that thing.

Yes.

Perfectly waving everyone into trey.

Problem is the flagger doesn't race or has never raced. So he thinks on "I'm alerting riders of a downed rider. I don't understand why he's waving at me because I'm waving this flag...?"

The guy doesnt understand racetrack etiquette where racers go to the opposite side of the jump where he yellow is displayed.

Priority #1 is to protect the downed rider. It seems like this would be common sense to state during a flagger meeting. But how many inexoerienced flaggers are listening???

Anyone remember the flagger of the moth column In RacerX? Showed guys sleeping, girls sun bathing and tanning, guys picking Daisies.....

I don't remember that, but Jason took a picture of a flagger playing games on his phone during a race at Zack's regional last year at Sunday Creek.

And just a little FYI....I've been taking some notes from this thread to go over with our flaggers before the battle race. Like someone else said, there's always room for improvement! :) Better safe than sorry, so thanks for all the input!
~Tina~

Track safety falls on the shoulders of both the track promoter/crew and riders or parents of riders. Also included is training the EMT crew in how and when to respond to a incident...not how to do their job, but how to effectively do their job in a motocross race setting. Communication and consistency are key along with experienced attentive eyes and the willingness to get the job done.

You don't absolutely have to have past racers to have good flag men (it surely helps)...but mainly people that care enough to do the job right and are teachable.

The most challenging part of building good track safety is committed people. Out of the six tracks I am involved with...most of the people are the same and usually atleast 5 people travel to several or more tracks excluding FairCross.

Back