NMA Championship

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Did ANYONE notice that the NMA had its championship race this week? Back in the day this was simply known as Ponca City.
For those of you that don't remember or were not around back in the 80" and 90" this was a HUGE race. It was basically the NMA answer to Loretta's. Just about everyone that went to LL, usually went to Ponca the week before, then straight to the ranch for the next week. Some years it would even outdraw LL with nearly 2000 riders.
Last year I see they had 380 riders. WHAT? 380 over 43 classes!!!
YES, I said 43 classes...and those are all bike classes. Im sure that played a major role in the event swirling the bottom of the bowl. I mean, how diluted can a championship be?
Nevertheless, it is sad to see what it has become. No riders, no coverage, no results posted anywhere I can find. Hell with it moving to a new track in OK city, it doesn't even have the cool "Ponca" one word name like "Loretta's". My last trip to Ponca was a very long time ago and I still remember a lot of the details of the week. To bad those are details I will not get to experience with my kids.

Can someone please play taps on the bugle in remembrance of another great event we have lost?

OR.... Maybe we convince the NMA to merge with the OMA and move the championship to OHIO. Hell, last weeks race was twice the turnout of the "National"

(I say that tongue-in-cheek....Or do I???? ;))

It is sad what has become of the (former) Ponca Race. This years attendance was 156 with the largest class 250C stk having 14 entries.
the new Ponca City race had 401 entries with the largest class (65cc 7-9 limited) having 22 entries.
For what it is worth, there is live scoring from Ponca City:
http://ponca.escoremx.com/

bruce

Help me out. It was said that there were 377 unique racers last weekend at the battle, and 600 and something entries. Does this mean 377 riders were there and numerous ones entered more than one class?

Back