Go Pros

John250

PR Founding Father
So my son had a birthday. Asked for money from all his aunts, uncles and grand parents to buy a go pro. I know NOTHING about go pros, but do know there are different models out there, etc. Anyone have good working knowledge of go pros? What model we should be looking at, special mounting hardware (or is it included), etc etc.

What about the new Sony cameras that are out?

Any insight would be very much appreciated before we run out and buy the wrong thing. Thanks.

Any camera that can be launched into space and call back to earth intact is a winner in my book.

Standby. Video to come.

We have a gopro hero to sell with mounts. Can bring to vet fest.
The newest models are all real good. The silver , white and hero 3 (most recent)are remote access. If you don't need that then all but the originals will do. The originals are lower resolution.
$100 for ours with mount hardware

Remote access is cool.

Can access the camera from an iPad right at the track and watch your moto. That way your son will be able to see his mistakes and what he should of done better.

They also make a back view screen to view your video as well as make sure you have correct alignment for playback.
Lots of accessories available.

I would recommend going with the 3. It's amazing the difference in clarity and video quality just from the Hero 2 vs. the Hero 3.

Also if you plan on recording your son from a third person view so he can watch his technique, the 3 has much better slow-mo capabilities than the 2. The original Hero is just out-dated at this point.

I usually have a lap-top with me so I don't need any of the fancy "back-pack" or remote access features, plus you can empty out the memory card right there at the track if you bring your laptop. All depends on how much video you plan to record.

The Hero 3 is also lighter and smaller than the 2.

I've used the Contour before as well, not a bad camera but the quality/ruggedness isn't there. 3rd ride with it I got rained on for maybe 2 mins, camera was toast. GoPro can be fully submerged (inside the correct case!) for hours and never have a problem.

It's also nice that the Hero 3 has a removable battery, grab an extra battery and you can record all day long.

You don't have to buy the back view screen. Just download the go pro app on your phone, turn the wifi on and connect to go pro to your phone. You can get a view of what you are seeing through your phone. Pretty cool and saves some cash on that back view thing.

I have the go pro 3 silver. I would recommend and of the 3 + as they are the newest models.

I happen to have two of the back viewers ...they are nice. You can get the right angle view nicely. You can also see your video if you don't have a laptop or Iphone with you. We have bumped the recorder before and got crappy recordings from that. Sometimes you don't have your phone on the line or get service at some of the tracks. Also there are the open back for additional sound .

I wish they would make a box with a roll-off system. Too many times mud jacks up your view before you get to the second turn...

We have a gopro hero to sell with mounts. Can bring to vet fest.
The newest models are all real good. The silver , white and hero 3 (most recent)are remote access. If you don't need that then all but the originals will do. The originals are lower resolution.
$100 for ours with mount hardware

This is a good price to entice me to try one of these. I don't know much about these either, so I ask, is this ready to record, or do I need to buy more stuff before I can use it?

This is a good price to entice me to try one of these. I don't know much about these either, so I ask, is this ready to record, or do I need to buy more stuff before I can use it?
Ready to record. Has suction cup mount.Helmet mount.Origional Box and computer connector/charger.

Back