Is their a right way to crash?

Strouble

PR Addict
With the "flagger" thread and my inability to keep it on two wheels this last weekend at MX 213...is their a technique to crashing...I think so.

My two basics are...if you can help it...hold onto the bars. I remember Carmicheal most distinctively with this...that man held onto the bars as long as he could.

The second is tuck and roll.

I had three different crashes this past weekend with each one being progressively worse. The first one was tuck and roll, the second one was instantaneous unexpected shell shock and the third was hold on to the bars all the way to the ground while going over the bars.

Obviously their is no two crashes exactly the same but their are types of crashes...if you can help it and have time to react...as a rider...what are some techniques to crashing?

Yeah.....DO NOT crash. No seriously, I dislocated my shoulder one time from hanging onto the bars.

Ah....

I don't get how people can tuck and roll. Everytime I go sailing I'm already laying in the crap before I realize I'm crashing my brains out.

Even the "holy crap" slow motion crashes....no matter how slow mo it is I can't ever rationally think to tuck and roll.

I prefer the mike mcdade ragdoll bounce method. Seems to work excellent for him.

Georgie, as a barefooter, you should have the tuck and roll down…… as soon as you feel your feet break that surface, you tuck to save the water blasting your eyelids open……, I use that on my mx bike all the time, if I'm leaving the bike, I tuck and roll….. stay balled up until you've stopped, I see guys get hurt all the time when they are reaching out with arms and legs and those levers hit the ground before the rest of you and go the wrong way!

I prefer to go face-first. Not much I can do to damage this mug, and it also helps break the fall for the rest of my body. :)

Any crash where you first don't harm someone else, 2nd, don't harm yourself, and 3rd, don't harm your bike was executed 100% correctly.

Any crash where you first don't harm someone else, 2nd, don't harm yourself, and 3rd, don't harm your bike was executed 100% correctly.

Now that is some funny stuff... absolutely correct, but still, very funny!

On a serious note, Jarret, if you want to practice crashing I will be willing to meet you at the track, observe you crashing, give you video and eye witness account of what you are doing correct and what I think went wrong!

On a side note, I think Ed has a small passion for watching people crash on these two and four wheeled rocket ships. That may be a little sadistic I know, but everybody needs something to make them smile! I'm not saying that I think Ed likes to see people get hurt, but a funny crash with no major injury might just be icing on the cake!

Georgie, as a barefooter, you should have the tuck and roll down…… as soon as you feel your feet break that surface, you tuck to save the water blasting your eyelids open……, I use that on my mx bike all the time, if I'm leaving the bike, I tuck and roll….. stay balled up until you've stopped, I see guys get hurt all the time when they are reaching out with arms and legs and those levers hit the ground before the rest of you and go the wrong way!
You're more skilled than me. Only time my eyelids aren't inside out when I catch a toe it's because I didn't let go of the rope. But I hear mid 30s if I keep that up ill blow out my shoulder sockets.

I gotta ductape my nose shut. My reaction time in relation to crashing anything must really suck.

I don't think you can know if you've done it correctly until the crash has ended. I've been crashing for a quarter century, and I still have yet to get a good technique down on a consistent basis. IMO-- protecting the family jewels is always a plus. ---L*64

Ha...this is a good one. Well, not really as the subject sucks, but is part of the dealio.

#1) Tuck and Roll
#2) Tuck and Roll
#3) If you haven't done #1 or #2, tuck and roll

Also try and get away form the bike. More important for those who ride more than 2 wheels, but they bike will hurt you as well. RC is a master as holding on to the bars, but I've learned to not hold on too long. Too much experience I suppose. Have to hit that eject button sooner than later. Especially the higher the speed as there is a lesser chance you are going to save it...unless you are Bubba Stewart. I've seen that guy save potential career ending crashes... I'm not that good and I know this... :)

I'm going with Hershey for how many times he rolled.

Adam...shoulda had the video out Sunday...I would have loved to seen that crash on video...especially the running and trying to catch my feet up to my body and then having to tumble again because I couldn't do so.

Very generous of you Adam...but I'm gonna pass.

Happy to put a smile on Bid Ed!!!

Haha! If you watched the shadow next to Hershey, you can see the suckyness unfolding!! The second crasher had some nice technique I must admit. Both seem to have done an adequate job... --L*64

Back