AREA 51 Motocross 10th Annual Can/Am AIR August 29-31, 2014

wnyracing

PR Member
Come celebrate the 10th year of the Canadian/American Amateur International Race
at Area 51 Motocross August 29-31, 2014
  • $20,000 In Factory Contingency from Yamaha, KTM, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki
  • Annual Grass Race and pit machine Mud Bog Race
  • Live Band and Beer Tent
  • Special Event Bibs to represent your country!
  • 5 1/2' Tall Trophies!
  • 200% Pro/Expert Payout over 276 entries
  • visit www.area51motocross.com for all info
untitled.png

Whats up with the no tent camping. Trying to keep out the rif raf? LOL
It has to due with regulations regarding camping in NY. If you notice, they do not allow camping, they allow "overnight parking." Because of that they cannot allow tents.

Reactions: TBO
Thanks Vet261, that is correct. It's an ordinance in the Town of Batavia. However you can put your tent in the bed of your truck or on a trailer and that's ok... Crazy.

Reactions: TBO
Great time as always, awesome weather -- the overnight rain made the track perfect on Sunday!

A few small gripes to use as constructive criticism:
  • Each year I get a flyer in the mail for this race, which is awesome, and it shows the race order for Saturday night and Sunday (which I initially think is awesome). But then every time I've been there the race order is changed and I have to go get a new one at the registration building. Just stop putting the race order on the mail flyer to avoid confusion.
  • Every time I've race A51 the first step-up in the "tower section" barely has enough lip to get over the thing and you have to hit it hard and lift the bike over. This time was no different and we rode all day Saturday and 3/4 of the way through racing Sunday with people clipping the top of the jump. Then as I'm sitting on the gate for +25 second moto, there is a big delay for "track work" but nobody really says what is happening. We find out as we come around on the first lap that the track work was them rebuilding the take off of that jump, so now we are all launching it over to the flat! Fix it BEFORE practice day, not 3/4 of the way through the racing Sunday.
  • Please, somehow, someway, figure out how we can avoid standing in different lines over and over. Early signup is open on Friday so we go wait in line for that....then find out we are only allowed to signup for racing, not practice Saturday. So we still have to come back Saturday to signup for the practice day. Then awards you have to go to the top of the hill and stand in line for trophies, then come back down to registration and stand in line for prizes. Streamlining this somehow not only will keep the customers happier, but make it a lot easier on the staff as well.

These are just some small issues that would really improve the experience. But like I said, it is still and awesome event and the track is one of the best around this region! Thanks much for all the effort at making such an awesome event!

Last edited:
There's always have room to make it better, and we will bring your comments to the AREA 51 staff for discussion. Thank you for support.

Last edited:
It has to due with regulations regarding camping in NY. If you notice, they do not allow camping, they allow "overnight parking." Because of that they cannot allow tents.
You boys also can't bring a gun that has more than 10 rounds in the magazine.....just sayin'. *Dip.*Spit. *Ding.

How was it? Always heard it's an awesome event!

The racing was intense. The young guys are amazingly fast and talented. Vet261 warned me about the lip change on the one jump and I adjusted accordingly once my gate dropped. I'll bet it was a surprise to other riders though. I personally have NO COMPLAINTS at all!!! It's my third year going and I finally got myself a Moto win at the now world famous Area 51. There was no way, in my opinion that track could have been prepped any better. The combination of the weather and the track personnel- made it one of the best racing surfaces I have had the pleasure of racing on, in 15 years.

Sure, it got rutted and rough with big breaking bumps and a few little (minor) kickers here and there late in the day, but I mean- Hell yeah! Hang on and move ahead, that's motocross. It flows, it's big- it's technical, it's got FAST sections that hold your bike to the ground in 5th. The tower jump (or spectator triple) is built perfectly and the triple out of the woods is no joke. Superb track, great flaggers this year and you guys were ON it.

I met some locals that parked near us, older guys- they gave me track tips that helped propel me to that moto win. Steve, Jeff and Tom- thanks man, you guys really made our day. Getting over the big jumps, were made easier with help from these guys. The entire family had a great time and to see the faces of the kids after coming from way back in the pack all the way to first, was priceless. And the congrats from Vet261 made it seem like old times.

Ohio people, Pennsylvania people- if you have not raced this track- stop messing around and get out there. It reminds me of what our district was back in the early 2000's. Hell, it's better. WNY is where it's at on this coast. It's how racing should be. There's a race in October. I am planning to go back.

Last edited:
Great weekend!

So, Who won Canada or America? Not really sure how you score for the event.

HA! NICE. But those Canadians really are a friendly bunch, good sportsmanship and fierce competitors. Thanks again A51!

Back