OIR Benefit Practice Structure Proposal

Strouble

PR Addict
Need some help here please...we want to make this event as good as possible.

1. With all the talk about Open Practice format...this may be an opportunity to try something out...take a look and say what you think! (As of now, the regular rotations stand as par for the course.)
2. What do you think of the the event and what ideas do you have to share?

8:30 Riders Meeting

9-11am
Bike A, B, C, Vet
2-15min Sessions Each
or
1-10 min session each
1-20 min session each

11-12
Quads
2-15min Sessions Each
or
1-10 minute session each
1-20 minute session each

12-12:30pm
Track Prep, Intermission, Lunch Served

12:30 to 1:30
85/150 & 65cc
2-15min Sessions Each

Fundraiser Winners: 1pm-3pm

1:30-3:20
Bike A,B,C, Vet
1-5min Session Each followed by
1-20min Session Each

3:20-3:50
Track Prep, Egg Throw, Sand Track Contest

3:50-4:40pm
85/150 & 65cc
1- 5min Session Each followed by
1-20min Session Each.

4-40-5:30pm
Quads
1-5min Session Each followed by
1-20min Session Each.

5:30-6pm
Mini Track riders allowed on big course.(prolly move this somewhere in between.)

This format is structured to accomadate folks the entire day. You could block bikes and quads for regular Open Practice Days.

If a delay happens...we could keep the time format and finish past 6, have to confirm that one.

That's rough. I know you mentioned that this event shouldn't be about time on the bike but coming together for a great cause, however with a structure with that little ride time and waiting around I feel the event may suffer.
I don't have much input for improving sessions, but a/b and c/vet could atleast be run together to open up more track time, same with 65/85s.
It's a nice large track, practice this past Sunday wasn't split at all and the track accommodated all the bikes nicely. I feel any more than 4 different session groups will deter riders from showing up. Just my 2¢

Jarrett i am at work and can not text you bc no service, but can you please post a thread about changing the date, had several people texting/messaging me all week about the benefit this weekend, not knowing it was moved. I asked them to quit living under a rock lol

Also 10 riders will be there when you open. Nobody fills in until 3 hours after opening. Then Crute and his posse come somewhere in the last 4 hour block.

Had to take a little break from this...busy week and mulling this stuff over.

This event is meant for us to spend a day at the track and punctuality does matter...but well worth it.

Follow me here for a moment...

I know the general numbers and just making guesstimated averages here...

The battles races had an average of about 590 entries per race between the three tracks (Vern, CTMX, BC.)
These races average about 340 indiviual riders in one day. These are big events.

The "Sessioned" practice structure and this one is built to handle 470 individual riders over 2 tracks. I hope it fills up completely...but doubtful becuase that would mean this event drew more individual riders than any given Battle race...unlikely, but it is time to click up to the next gear in promoting this event. We can make a promise to riders with this set-up, but without knowing the turnout, we can't promise more.

By starting out with a practice structure designed for many riders, it is easy to adjust and give more track time with a lesser amount of riders. It is not right to start out with a lesser amount of prectice sessions promised (while also limiting the amount of riders that participate greatly due to safety) and then take away track time by adding more sessions not originally planned for.

***MX GP is a VERY interesting idea as suggested by OIR...I will be talking to Chet this week. What do you think about that...80-90% of the MX track with some WIDE trails thrown in?

I wasn't at Malvern Battle practice, but the other 2 tracks had 8 10-12 minute sessions set-up for practice (CTMX was a flop for practice being a mudder.) But BC got to run in good conditions and got every session out 4 times in about 7 hours with I think 2 preps on a hot dry weekend.)

Thats 40-48 minutes of seat time. This offers 55 minutes guaurenteed because will will not let delays take away from seat time...meaning we will run late if a delay happens to give promised seat time, unless it is some crazy long delay...ya never know. Overall, the operation shoudl be just fine though.

In 10-12 minute sessions, some folks are ready to pull off, some folks are steady and can just pound consistent laps all day, and some are just getting warmed up when the red flag flies. You also get "cold" between your practice group because of 70 minutes of downtime in between sessions.

So...the task at hand

1. Operate on a level with a large turn-out.
2. Raise awareness of Leukemia and help a couple of MX Families.
3. Promote the event...get people to show up and participate.
4. Feed the people. (Head count needed...hence a EASY registration process (send a SIMPLE email) with no money down and do your best to participate.)
5. Extracurricular Activies (Sand Box MX Track Building Contest, Egg Throw, Guest Speakers (The two fathers of the children, and a third speaker (not sure yet), Corn-Hole, Auctions and Give Aways, ***Possible Mobile Video Game Unit, Event T-shirts, Face Painting, Balloon Making, and whatever else we can come up with and pull-off. Perhaps an Archery Range.
6. MX Family Fun and Unity
7. Riding (I will be working along with others, you will be riding.)

As for #7 - Riding

This structure requires you to be on time, pay attention and pre-register for the total cost to show up, ride (55 min of seat time, and eat at $30; aside from your persoanl expenses...thats a good deal if you ask me.

This day will cost you $5 dollars less than if you raced one class on any given weekend and get some good food with more track time by 35 minutes.

This design also allows for longer planned practices that would feel kinda like motos, but longer...the first round you get a 10 minute warm up, sit for 30 minutes at most and then go ride for 20 minutes. The second round is a 5 minute warm up with a 20 minute session.

Both tracks will be opened up...I doubt you will get bored. The atmosphere will be awesome...if you remember the Zentner benefit, it was real fun and smooth. Food was great from Old Carolina BBQ (they are catering the event.)

To be extra clear...If you don't Pre-Register, you will not be allowed to ride, but you can still come. Sending a simple email to me with the correct information and the intent to show up rain or shine is not much to ask at all for what you will receive in return and what this day is about.

So if you get 27 emails will there be open practice only ? :)
We passed that early on...thankfully. Yes, the idea is to condense practice groups as best we can for most seat time...won't know the final outcome until a week before the benefit when registration closes.

What do you all think of MX and GP? 3-4 minute lap time?

No pot stir points awarded Georgie! :)

Back