Split racing program

John250

PR Founding Father
Everyone is giving suggestions for the battle series next year. What about the normal local racing. Everyone claims they don't race because it takes too long to race their two 4 lap motos. Is it time that a track think outside the box and have a split program?

Practice in the morning, race some classes as soon as practice is over, both motos. Prep the track and then some time after lunch, run another brief practice, and then run both those classes motos in the afternoon.

Would this get more people to the track to race, if they did not have to be there all day to run their motos?

Thoughts?

I believe for the "normal" series races the regular one day format is fine... Now for the bigger events (Battle of Ohio), maybe some tweaking can be done.
But, What a GREAT problem to have is this area - too many racers...
We'd have a ton more quads at the local races IF we all did not think we needed to go to the Nationals to compete.

I realize we are talking motocross here, but this very concept works well in GP's.
Part of the crowd is leaving by noon, and more are just coming in the gate, and back home by 6 pm.

It's only a long day if you are choosing to stay and race two or more sessions.

At a large event like the Battle though, you would have absolute gridlock in the pits with people trying to get their Super Duper camping and bike hauler rigs out to leave mid-day.

Last edited:
As a 50 dad and as someone concerned about how bad Ohio riders suck on a national level, I want my son riding ruts at an early age to get better at it.
If its going to be a simple split then make it quads one day bikes the other.

As a 50 dad and as someone concerned about how bad Ohio riders suck on a national level, I want my son riding ruts at an early age to get better at it.
I think that's the way to go, will help with all the quad/bike drama to.

I realize we are talking motocross here, but this very concept works well in GP's.
Part of the crowd is leaving by noon, and more are just coming in the gate, and back home by 6 pm.

It's only a long day if you are choosing to stay and race two or more sessions.

At a large event like the Battle though, you would have absolute gridlock in the pits with people trying to get their Super Duper camping and bike hauler rigs out to leave mid-day.

Correct Mike. It just doesn't work in MX though, I've seen at least three different tracks experiment with it over the years.

As a 50 dad and as someone concerned about how bad Ohio riders suck on a national level, I want my son riding ruts at an e
arly age to get better at it.
So what does junior learn by being stuck in a rut?

So what does junior learn by being stuck in a rut?
He learns that there are ruts and how to get through them. Sooner he learns how bad it sucks to get stuck in ruts the sooner he can learn how to ride them faster. We have kids in this area that are crazy fast on smooth high-speed tracks, as soon as you show them ruts and braking bumps. They go crying to Mom. I know, I have one. Hoping big deep square edge bumps shake the pansy out of him. :)

He learns that there are ruts and how to get through them. Sooner he learns how bad it sucks to get stuck in ruts the sooner he can learn how to ride them faster. We have kids in this area that are crazy fast on smooth high-speed tracks, as soon as you show them ruts and braking bumps. They go crying to Mom. I know, I have one. Hoping big deep square edge bumps shake the pansy out of him. :)
Hey! Quit talking about me like I cant hear you!

I agree in getting them on rough tracks early..Mitchy loves it with big ruts, braking bumps etc..has since he was on a 50 and even more at 10 years old riding nationally/internationally on a 65 and starting on his 85.

.. Just not sure about the Ohio riders sucking at a national or international level. We have some on small and big bikes holding their own. Ur thought is right on getting um going early though.. Been a bit if a challenge getting big track time, at times and at some tracks, to overcome this so Mitchy can compete nationally. Traveled south in the winter to help this along seemed to work out.

Yes there are a few good ones but I was talking on the majority. No denying our numbers of top 10's are way down compared to past years.
With a great series in our backyard, this could be the perfect springboard to put Ohio back on the podium.

The other problem with little bikes on another day is the fact many race the 65 class as well, it would force a 2 day event for them. Run them with the bikes but not so much after the track gets mega beat. Quads and bikes seem to be the best split.

Even if you charged $1 per class. Nobody would come race.

Tracks that offer practice days and one to three big events per year probably do the best and have the best chance at long term success. . .

The other problem with little bikes on another day is the fact many race the 65 class as well, it would force a 2 day event for them. Run them with the bikes but not so much after the track gets mega beat. Quads and bikes seem to be the best split.
Didn't really think about that, good point.

Back