Rust in a metal tank

John250

PR Founding Father
I am sure there is a thread some where, but thought I would just ask. Have another Z 50 restore my dad is working on. Has some rust in the tank that needs to be removed. Cheapest and easiest way to remove? He called some company that wanted $300 to restore the tank! Decals and paint are real good on the outside of the tank still.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Do a search on a product line called POR15.
Used it. Good Stuff
Thats great stuff, many good things you can do with it. I don't know about the inside of a tank though, alot of paints will get eaten away for petrol products.

It really depends on how bad the rust is in the tank. There is a product called Evapo-Rust that I works really well - leave it in the tank for at least a day on each angle you rotate to make sure it penetrates all surfaces. I bought mine at Tractor Supply and have probably reused it on 6 tanks-buy a cheap plastic strainer. You could also try "using electrolysis to remove rust from motorcycle tank" google it - I did it and was shocked by how well it works but it did weaken the tank at the bottom because it ended up leaking. If you get as much as you can out and it still looks to be rusty my research said that Red Kote is the best sealer. People say that the others will eventually flake off where Red Kote does not. Good luck

Fill it with pebbles, and some kind of rust product and shake, shake, shake. Try to bead blast from the top if the rust is on the bottom, try and blast the top through the petcock hole if possible, then POR15 for whatever is left. I agree that Kreem is crap. --L*64

Back