Chillitown Battle Race Video..

Devon Mistak

PR Member
I used this video for my entry into the 2014 Racer X Film festival.. But didn't make the cut.. which I'm pretty disappointed about.. But anyhow! Here is the video and I hope you guys enjoy, and as always I am always looking for feedback on what you'd suggest I improve on! Thank you.

Looking really good Devon. Do you know many entries were submitted for that Racer X film festival? Yours had to be near the top, but don't be too let down, a lot of things like that are very based in social connections and not real appeal. The only constructive crit I have would be to stop down a bit for a larger area of focus in some of those opening "b roll" shots. That and getting a little better at color/tone grading, which is something that needs to be pretty much perfect nowadays when trying to compete with RAW video that has 12+ stops of dynamic range. Some of the shots looked a little muddy and like maybe midtones could come up a bit. I really like your editing style though, and that composited rut shot towards the end of Gibby/Kreig/etc. was really cool. Keep up the good work man. OH has a lot of great visual artists busting their butts out there in addition to good racing. People should feel grateful for that.

I didn't participate in voting this year but if it was anything like last year's contest, we rallied the entire community of MX Simulator to vote for 1 specific video. OAP is right in saying it's not so much about video quality but online social backing.

Looking really good Devon. Do you know many entries were submitted for that Racer X film festival? Yours had to be near the top, but don't be too let down, a lot of things like that are very based in social connections and not real appeal. The only constructive crit I have would be to stop down a bit for a larger area of focus in some of those opening "b roll" shots. That and getting a little better at color/tone grading, which is something that needs to be pretty much perfect nowadays when trying to compete with RAW video that has 12+ stops of dynamic range. Some of the shots looked a little muddy and like maybe midtones could come up a bit. I really like your editing style though, and that composited rut shot towards the end of Gibby/Kreig/etc. was really cool. Keep up the good work man. OH has a lot of great visual artists busting their butts out there in addition to good racing. People should feel grateful for that.
Thanks man! And no I do not... color grading is definitely something I want to get better at.. been watching some tutorials on youtube so thats helping a bit.. The only thing about the rut shot that I noticed after I already submitted the video is that the background changed quite a bit each shot.. wish I could have caught that sooner and cropped it..

Last edited:
I didn't participate in voting this year but if it was anything like last year's contest, we rallied the entire community of MX Simulator to vote for 1 specific video. OAP is right in saying it's not so much about video quality but online social backing.
Racer X picks the top eight but then its up to the public to vote which video wins... which is usually a popularity contest..

I like all your work man but I didn't care much for that one, no offence. I usually love your choice of music for the vid but this time I really disliked it an it prob brought me down for it over all. It didn't seem to flow with the footage like your other ones and didn't amp you up at all. I get goose bumps from all your other edits but this one seemed like it came from someone else. As far as shots and everything I thought it was great, I watched it muted and was able to pay more attention to the physical footage and enjoyed it a lot more. Just my openions from someone that knows nothing about what it takes to do what you do, just saying I love how I feel and the motivation I get after watching your other edits and this one didn't give me that feeling.

Yeah, what he said...????

Figured if you would have done a MX Sports track you would have gotten a few more votes... ;)

Good vid man. Love the rut shot with the multiple riders. :)

I used this video for my entry into the 2014 Racer X Film festival.. But didn't make the cut.. which I'm pretty disappointed about.. But anyhow! Here is the video and I hope you guys enjoy, and as always I am always looking for feedback on what you'd suggest I improve on! Thank you.
Wow, at first I didn't like the song selection, but you made it work for sure.

the 2:14 mark where you had the rider change in the rut, that was a badass smooth video transition between the riders. I wonder if someway you could of done that 30-40 bikes and made it about 5 seconds. In your opening scene, that woulda forced them to make you the winner. After that scene you could of had a video of poop and it would of won.

Seems like you video guys are making crap even harder now.....better get a drone, because the drone videos are where its at!

I like all your work man but I didn't care much for that one, no offence. I usually love your choice of music for the vid but this time I really disliked it an it prob brought me down for it over all. It didn't seem to flow with the footage like your other ones and didn't amp you up at all. I get goose bumps from all your other edits but this one seemed like it came from someone else. As far as shots and everything I thought it was great, I watched it muted and was able to pay more attention to the physical footage and enjoyed it a lot more. Just my openions from someone that knows nothing about what it takes to do what you do, just saying I love how I feel and the motivation I get after watching your other edits and this one didn't give me that feeling.
Yeah I wasn't too hot about the song either but for this contest you had to find a song and get permission from the artist to use it.. Which is easier said than done lol. But yeah it's a little slower than I'd like and I tried to take a different approach at this video than normal.

Wow, at first I didn't like the song selection, but you made it work for sure.

the 2:14 mark where you had the rider change in the rut, that was a badass smooth video transition between the riders. I wonder if someway you could of done that 30-40 bikes and made it about 5 seconds. In your opening scene, that woulda forced them to make you the winner. After that scene you could of had a video of poop and it would of won.

Seems like you video guys are making crap even harder now.....better get a drone, because the drone videos are where its at!
Yeah that's definitely possible! Just a lot of editing time and trying to get 30+ people to go through the same rut smoothly haha. Thanks man!

Yeah that's definitely possible! Just a lot of editing time and trying to get 30+ people to go through the same rut smoothly haha. Thanks man!
Yeah, I'd rather poke my eye out than do all that editing you do. I'll leave that "poke my eye out" work to you guys with patience and the skill to make it right as I like my eyes as they are. Kudos to what you do...

Back