Good 4 Strokes

Avster556

PR Member
I have always owned and ridden 2 strokes. Not really much maintenaince to them and are a blast to ride. Just been thinking about getting a 4 stroke lately. What are some good years/makes to buy? (2004-2011) I have heard 2004 crf250s had valve problems. Mainly looking for 250f not a 450. Probably won't pull the trigger until spring. Just seeing my options.

All the 250f's are quite a bit a more workto maintain, just stay away from rmz's and kxf's till at least 07. Can't go wrong with any year yzf or sxf 250 really. Crf's after like 05 were pretty decent if I recall.

Some 07 honda have carb issues. We have an 09 kawi and it is a sweet bike, last year on the 250 before fi.

As far as 250f's go, I've only owned Yamaha's. I rode the hell out of them with noissues to speak of..

Just my 2cents..... I rode 4 strokes for 10 years. Too expensive! !! When they need rebuilt or god forbid blow up... you need to take out a 2nd mortgage! ! I finally went back to 2strokes this season and it's the best decision I could've made. Unless you are doing sum serious racing. .. 2stroke is the way to go! If you do plan to be competitive on a 2stroke. . . Be prepared to hafta ride yer @$$ off! It is sweet holeshoting 450s on a smoker tho!

I've had a 2005 CRF250, that was a great bike. Handling was amazing, wasn't a powerhouse but pulled me around good for 3-4 seasons with no issues. I also had a 2007 KX250F, that bike didnt handle as good as the honda, but wasn't unridable either. Pretty much would have chewed up the CRF and spit it out the exhaust powerwise, these two bikes werent even close. It was like moving up to a 450.

Now I got 2002 RM250, Handles amazing and pulls my but around twice as fast as either 250cc four-stroke, and is 3 years older than my oldest four-stroke.

I have never ridden anything other than a early YZ250F (03/04 ?) and it was all mod'ed out so I cant give my opinion on those.

And KTM.... just takes a completely different spin. I only got to ride a 2006 250SX-F for a few laps and it didnt have me sold, I really honestly have no opinion on these other than they look badass.

Also, consider your size and statue in the buy aswell, if your a bigger guy like myself. 215 with no gear and 5' 10" I wouldnt go with any 250f for that matter... you'll always be wide open and looking for more gears. Where as its more enjoyable to ride and have the power to get over the bigger obstacles.

My KX250F was $2100 in parts for a full rebuild bottom to top (including cylinder). I got less than $500 in my RM250... so thats something to think about also.

Can't go wrong with a smoker, sometimes you can get the full weisco top and bottom kits for under 300 bucks to. Top end just being freshened up in a 4 cost more then that, god forbid you grenade it. The only thing that scares me about my ktm 4 strokes is that the valves are 200 a piece, needless to say I keep a very close eye on my top end. lol

Just my 2cents..... I rode 4 strokes for 10 years. Too expensive! !! When they need rebuilt or god forbid blow up... you need to take out a 2nd mortgage! ! I finally went back to 2strokes this season and it's the best decision I could've made. Unless you are doing sum serious racing. .. 2stroke is the way to go! If you do plan to be competitive on a 2stroke. . . Be prepared to hafta ride yer @$$ off! It is sweet holeshoting 450s on a smoker tho!

Ill probably stick with the 2 strokes then, plus they are a blast to ride. Did a full rebuild for under $300.

If you ride a lot, I would advise against a 250F.. We did top ends every year on my Yammy, at minimum, I wasn't paying for them, but I know my dad worked a lot of extra weekends for it.. I know it was WELL over $1,000 to do it right, and that was him doing the work. Either get a 450, or stick with a 2 stroke.. Most of us aren't getting paid to do this anyway.

Back